Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kids sharing bed

Options
  • 26-10-2019 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, i'm just looking for some advice in regards to an issue i'm having with my ex.

We have 2 children, a teenage boy and a 9 year old girl. He has a spare bedroom in his house but didn't give them separate bedrooms when they stay at weekends. The spare bedroom is now being used for another purpose.

He won't even give the kids separate beds in the same bedroom. He keeps saying that he'll sort it or has got it sorted, but then won't do anything. My eldest doesn't want to stay in the bed with his sister, and I don't think it's fair for him at all when he's going though puberty and wants his own space. Access isn't ordered through the courts, just through a mutual arrangement where he takes them at weekends. The reason I mention that is because i've heard that sometimes fathers aren't allowed to have access unless they have suitable sleeping arrangements sorted.

Is there anything I can do here? I think it's very inappropriate and unfair on my son.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

It would be embarrassing for a teenage boy alright. Can you send a blow up mattress with them next time? Or I often use a cot mattress for kids for sleepovers on the floor, my 9 year old fits on it fine.
    It should not be up to you to sort it out , but your ex is obviously not doing anything about it and if it is causing you to worry and upsetting your kids , you kind of need to get over the fact that he is not being responsible and you have to do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I've experience with this and the judge wouldn't let a 3 yr old boy share with a 10 yr old girl. They had to have separate bedrooms even for one overnight stay.

Has your son not said it to his dad?

It will get to the stage where your son may refuse to go to his dad's which will be a pain for you if this is the only time you get to yourself.

I'd be having a very frank talk with the dad tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

The seperate rooms wouldn't bother me so much (there are whole families sleeping in hotel rooms) but the seperate beds would.

Sending the air mattress is a good idea. It would help if your son tells his Dad how he feels too.

Advertisement