Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Holidays on Maternity Leave

Options
  • 25-10-2019 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi All,

Does anyone know when you should be paid for bank holidays while on maternity leave? Are you paid as they fall or is the amount accumulated and paid to the employee at the end of their maternity period?
    Or is this at the discretion of the employer?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I think it’s usual to get the bank holidays as paid leave at the end of maternity leave. That’s what I did and I don’t know anyone who did it differently. It meant I had 8 paid days at the end of my maternity leave.

Edited to say when I say at the end of my maternity leave, I mean directly after the 42 weeks (I took paid and unpaid).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I accrued mine and took them at the end of my maternity leave with the holidays I had as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

They’re accrued along with your holidays to take after your mat leave

• Registered Users Posts: 24 peaceandlove

You accrue the bank holidays over your maternity leave, you can then use them at the end of your leave.

I accrued 8 bank holidays over my leave so at the end of my maternity leave I took another week and 3 days off before I returned to work.

You will also be due the pay for the bank holidays accrued, this should be paid to you on your return to work.

Bank holidays are treated the same as annual leave, ie you take the time off and are paid for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Except if you are a teacher. Bank holidays no longer matter unless you end up under 20 days off in the year due to your maternity running across the whole summer holidays for example

• Advertisement
Advertisement