Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

In 1888, Heinrich Hertz through experimentation validated James Clerk Maxwell's mathematical prediction of 1865 that 'light' was an 'electromagnetic' wave that propogated through space at it's then experimentally known speed.

A radical idea, his theory effectively said that electrical energy produced by accelerating an oscillating electric charge would alter it's electric field, and considering an electric field always has a magnetic field that the magnetic field would also change, which would change the electric field and would change the magnetic field.....etc....etc.....etc..... his theory mathematically displayed that 'energy' could be transferred without requiring a medium or any infrastructure. The wave would propogate through space at the speed of light. He died at 48 before being vindicated. It was Hertz who finally proved his theory correct experimentally.

Hertz was asked what practical applications his discovery could potentially have. His response is for me one of the greatest understatements in history.

"It's of no use whatsoever. This is just an experiment that proves Maestro Maxwell was right"

He might have been a brilliant experimental physicist but Heinrich never any entrepreneurial spirit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Shaggy from Scooby-Doo's actual character name is "Norville Rogers".
    The four teenagers in Scooby-Doo were copied directly from the four central characters in late 50s, early 60's sitcom The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis, considered the first TV show for a teenage audience.

Here straight man Dobie (Fred) and nerd Zelda (Velma) are joined by beatnik, layabout Maynard (Shaggy), who would punctuate each sentence with the word "like".

dobiemaynardzelda.jpg?auto=format&cs=tinysrgb&q=20&w=522&h=401&fit=crop

The character who was the inspiration for Shaggy was played by Bob Denver, a household name in the US as the titular character in Gilligan's Island.

The name Scooby-Doo, his full name is Scoobert-Doo, comes from the last line of the Frank Sinatra song Strangers in the Night, where he sings "doo-be-doo-be-doo".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Shaggy from Scooby-Doo's actual character name is "Norville Rogers".
    The four teenagers in Scooby-Doo were copied directly from the four central characters in late 50s, early 60's sitcom The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis, considered the first TV show for a teenage audience.

Here straight man Dobie (Fred) and nerd Zelda (Velma) are joined by beatnik, layabout Maynard (Shaggy), who would punctuate each sentence with the word "like".

dobiemaynardzelda.jpg?auto=format&cs=tinysrgb&q=20&w=522&h=401&fit=crop

The character who was the inspiration for Shaggy was played by Bob Denver, a household name in the US as the titular character in Gilligan's Island.

The name Scooby-Doo, his full name is Scoobert-Doo, comes from the last line of the Frank Sinatra song Strangers in the Night, where he sings "doo-be-doo-be-doo".
    "I bet you didn't know that" it was possible to know this much about Scooby Doo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

"I bet you didn't know that" it was possible to know this much about Scooby Doo.
    I was originally going to finish that post with "I can't believe I know so much about Scooby-Doo but I dooby-doo!" :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

there were more planes shot down during WW2, then there are total world wide today

• Advertisement

The earliest known examples of Australian Indigenous art were found in Central Australia and are roughly 30,000 years old. Cave art in Australia follows three basic styles, the first and most common is geometric style concentric circles and pointillism or a combination of both, the second concentrates on figurative shapes of both people and animals and is both painted and/or engraved, the third a more detailed figurative painting giving much greater detail of it's subjects.

The interesting thing about Aboriginal art is that it's the oldest ongoing tradition of artistic expression in the world, with the art being produced today still bearing the hallmarks of it's earliest forms while still evolving to reflect the changing experiences of indigenous Australians. While first expressed on rocks and cave walls, these styles were replicated on wood bark, fibres, paper, and now on glass and ceramics. Aboriginal hand print stencil art was the first means of accounting for individuals present, the intricate engraved and painted animals and fish were a way of keeping track of an areas particular resources.

The most recognizable Indigenous art to the Western eye is the Aborignal tradition of pointillism, a system of using dots to form patterns and images. Some modern Indigenous Australian artists command vast sums for their art on the international and domestic markets. A artist may need permission to portray certain sacred themes, ancient events or stories, or images of deceased persons or that imply the presence of the deceased, or portray a tribes secret knowledge. Images that portray actual events are forbidden unless the persons or events portrayed belong to the artists own family lineage.

Aboriginal art is thought to have survived so intact as a living tradition because Indigenous Aussies have no written language and relied on images and storytelling to keep their history alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The word 'indentured' (indentured servants, etc) came from the French word endenture, meaning indentation.

When contracts about work were written, each party involved would receive a copy. To prevent forgery, the originals would be arranged perfectly, one on top of the other, and then a random jagged line would be cut (indented) into the corner.

If the issue of forgery ever arose, the originals (or supposed originals) would be aligned perfectly on top of each other again, to see if the original indentation matched or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

The brickwork on downing street london is actually yellow (blackness was orginally caused by pollution)

this was only rediscovered in the 1960s during extensive renovations and they were repainted black

• Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

You can do the "Cliff Walk Loop", Howth, Dublin, on google street view.

Follow the trail :)

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3855419,-6.0500007,3a,75y,107.24h,76.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sl6yJIbcPksu6t60CyLffVQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I read this on the bus enthusiasts forum earlier.

Usually I notice these things, never once notice this.

The Dublin Bus logo on all there busses, the one that looks like a castle is actually the words 'db' formed together. Oddly interesting I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

There is a large area of Northern France that is off limits for human habitation and agriculture since WWI because of unexploded ordinance, human and animal remains and chemical poisoning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_Rouge1024px-Red_Zone_Map-fr.svg.png

There is a large area of Northern France that is off limits for human habitation and agriculture since WWI because of unexploded ordinance, human and animal remains and chemical poisoning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_Rouge1024px-Red_Zone_Map-fr.svg.png

They've had a hundred years and still not sorted it out? Lazy frogs. I bet Fritz has the German side long since cleared up...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

They've had a hundred years and still not sorted it out? Lazy frogs. I bet Fritz has the German side long since cleared up...;)

I was in Berlin last August and the red line metro (or whatever number it was) was shut down for the weekend because they found another bomb and had to detonate it. A german girl we were talking to said it was still pretty normal for that to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Just last week I heard in the news that an unexploded bomb that was found in London disrupted traffic flow. I don't know where it was but it happens all the time.

In fact when I lived in London same happened in a street literally just round the corner from where I resided, which is why I know this to be true.

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/11500911.Unexploded_bomb_unearthed_in_Clapham_back_garden_by_landscape_gardener/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

AllForIt wrote: »
    Just last week I heard in the news that an unexploded bomb that was found in London disrupted traffic flow. I don't know where it was but it happens all the time.

In fact when I lived in London same happened in a street literally just round the corner from where I resided, which is why I know this to be true.

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/11500911.Unexploded_bomb_unearthed_in_Clapham_back_garden_by_landscape_gardener/

London is awaiting a tidal wave since the 2nd World War. The SS Richard Montgomery, an ammunition ship sent from the US, foundered on a sandbank 1.5 miles off the English coast, in the mouth of the Thames. There is reputed to be about 1400 tonnes of high explosive still in the holds. If this exploded it could cause a 30 - 40 foot tidal wave to rush the Thames.

Its three masts can still be seen in the water and has a 500m exclusion zone around it......just in case.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Meanwhile in Birmingham
    http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/aston-expressway-bomb-roads-live-13040331

I was in Berlin last August and the red line metro (or whatever number it was) was shut down for the weekend because they found another bomb and had to detonate it. A german girl we were talking to said it was still pretty normal for that to happen
    Please, you're disrupting my national stereotyping. Which is typical paddy behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Most people, thanks mainly to Hollywood, mis-use the term Kung Fu, thinking it refers to that Chinese unarmed combat style somewhat resembling Taekwon Do and certain Karate styles. In fact, gōngfu is a combination of two Chinese words which, translated together from Mandarin, equate to something along the lines of merit or achievement through hard work. As such, the term can be applied to just about anything worth doing - in the immortal words of Musashi, the "Sword-Saint", do nothing that is of no use ;) - from armed/unarmed combat, to writing and various technical pursuits. What most people actually mean when they say "Kung Fu" is more along the lines of gōngfu wushu, which translates approximately but adequately as "the skills of the martial artist".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I kung fu'd my driving test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wardling

So after a strange nappy, a long discussion with the OH and a bit of googling I learned that if you feed your toddler raisins they can poop grapes.

Fascinating huh? No end to their talents.

The University of Cambridge's research into the Zika virus (the virus carried by mosquitos that overshadowed the Rio Olympics) has thrown up the possibility of harnessing the virus to save lives.

Zika virus is particularly dangerous for pregnant women to contract, as it can pass through the blood brain barrier (BBB), a semi permeable membrane that allows water and nutrients to pass through, but keeps most of the bad stuff out. If a pregnant woman contracts the virus, it can pass the BBB and attack the developing brain of the foetus. Few viruses can penetrate the BBB, HIV and Zika being two.

Research involving glioblastoma the most common type of brain tumour, suggests the possibility of using Zika to kill the cancerous cells, as the virus attacks them in the same way as it attacks and kills cells in the developing brain of the unborn.

Lab research has shown that Zika slows down the growth of tumours, and the mechanisms it uses to penetrate the BBB and target the cells may form the key to future treatments of a cancer that kills thousands (in the UK) a year.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That's weird, I was reading about Zika only earlier tonight. Apparently the disease can be transmitted through the eye. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/09/160906130949.htm

New Home wrote: »
    That's weird, I was reading about Zika only earlier tonight. Apparently the disease can be transmitted through the eye. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/09/160906130949.htm

Yeah, I'd heard about that. When the last outbreak was getting underway it was still thought that it could only be contracted in limited ways, via blood. It really is much more dangerous and transmissible than thought.

Diseases of poverty always seem to be underestimated at first. :(

Apologies for clogging up the thread with random things that occur to me.

Dr John Harvey Kellog, inventor of cornflakes and all kinds of dubious therapies practiced in his sanitorium - a precursor to todays spas - was a Seventh Day Adventist and had strong religious views on most things, but especially so on sins of the flesh, more specifically masturbation. A practice he believed weakened both the body and the spirit and he believed that circumcision without anesthetic was as desirable for boys as applying phenol - also known as carbolic acid - to a young girls clitoris was, also without anesthetic.

He also believed that diet played an enormous role in stirring the passions and that spicy food led to an increase in body heat resulting in an occasion of solitary sin, and that only the blandest possible food should be consumed. His friend and co religionist Sylvester Graham agreed, and they each perfected the recipes for Kellogs Corn Flakes and Graham Crackers.

Something to think about over breakfast tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Candie wrote:
    Apologies for clogging up the thread with random things that occur to me.

Candie, I love your posts of "random things". Always interesting (to me anyway) and I am in awe of the wide range of knowledge you have. I feel I could listen to you talk for days and wish I was half as interesting as you!

VandC wrote: »
    Candie, I love your posts of "random things". Always interesting (to me anyway) and I am in awe of the wide range of knowledge you have. I feel I could listen to you talk for days and wish I was half as interesting as you!

That's so kind - thank you, but I'm really, really boring! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Candie wrote:
    That's so kind - thank you, but I'm really, really boring!

You are so not boring! And I'm going to stop now before I come across as a weirdo/stalker/creep :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

VandC wrote: »
    You are so not boring! And I'm going to stop now before I come across as a weirdo/stalker/creep :D

Too late

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The correct phrase is "Anchor's Aweigh" not "Away".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement