Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-09-2015, 22:53   #1
Wexford96

Looking for subbing work

Hello.
Could anyone tell me if there is a centralised place to register as a sub teacher in Dublin? Or online with the Dept of Ed?
What do teachers who return from abroad do to find a job? Just keep an eye on educationposts.ie as well as the newspapers?
Thanks.
Advertisement
13-09-2015, 13:24   #2
Redser87

ETA this only applies to primary teachers, not sure if you are looking for secondary work.
13-09-2015, 14:18   #3
saythatagain

For post primary: ASTI have a substitution list you can sign up to. Register your details with your local education centre(s), they usually have a subs list also. ETB usually have a form you fill in aswell, if they need any subs, they go to that list.
13-09-2015, 14:23   #4
byhookorbycrook

INTO branch secretary often takes numbers too.
14-09-2015, 00:43   #5
Wexford96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redser87 View Post
ETA this only applies to primary teachers, not sure if you are looking for secondary work.
I'm secondary. Am I allowed to sub in primary schools?
Advertisement
16-09-2015, 17:42   #6
Redser87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wexford96 View Post
I'm secondary. Am I allowed to sub in primary schools?
Unless you also have a qualification in primary teaching, no, there are enough qualified primary teachers looking for subbing work that it is highly unlikely that you would be called even for the unqualified rate. If schools wish to take on an unqualified sub they have to jump through hoops to show that they could not find a qualified teacher, plus I think each school is limited to five days a year where the des will pay an unqualified sub.
Thanks from:
16-09-2015, 21:38   #7
man_no_plan

Have you posted or dropped your CV into any schools?

All I hear is that there are hundreds of jobless teachers. Not one cv has come in the door this year.

You have to be proactive too.
17-09-2015, 10:11   #8
Wexford96

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_no_plan View Post
Have you posted or dropped your CV into any schools?

All I hear is that there are hundreds of jobless teachers. Not one cv has come in the door this year.

You have to be proactive too.
That's a very good point. Should this be done after council membership is obtained? Or should teacher start visiting schools right now with CV's?
Thanks.
17-09-2015, 10:38   #9
Wexford96

Also, should a teacher visit the shool in person with CV, or is it ok just to send one in the post addressed to the principal?
Advertisement
17-09-2015, 16:55   #10
Redser87

Quote:
Also, should a teacher visit the shool in person with CV, or is it ok just to send one in the post addressed to the principal?
Go in person, more chance of meeting the principal and them having a face to the name.
17-09-2015, 17:27   #11
man_no_plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redser87 View Post
Go in person, more chance of meeting the principal and them having a face to the name.
If agree but if you can't I'd at least post one.

Please spell principal correctly and put your subjects in the first paragraph of a cover letter.
18-09-2015, 14:46   #12
monaghanmissus

Quote:
Try your best to pop in in person. When I subbed, I did the CV rounds in early September. At midterm, I emailed the school with a copy of my CV to remind them that I was still available.

Might sound like something simple, but print a small business card with your details and clip it to your CV. A few principals mentioned it to me that they thought it was a great idea. Meant that they didn't have to go rooting through the pile and that my details were easily accessible on their noticeboard.
18-09-2015, 21:39   #13
Wexford96

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaghanmissus View Post
Try your best to pop in in person. When I subbed, I did the CV rounds in early September. At midterm, I emailed the school with a copy of my CV to remind them that I was still available.

Might sound like something simple, but print a small business card with your details and clip it to your CV. A few principals mentioned it to me that they thought it was a great idea. Meant that they didn't have to go rooting through the pile and that my details were easily accessible on their noticeboard.
Great idea. Will get some cards printed immediately. Thanks for that smart advice. I'm also a fan of dropping in to schools. Takes time though. Managing to reach 5-6 schools per day.

Last edited by Wexford96; 18-09-2015 at 21:45.
18-09-2015, 21:46   #14
monaghanmissus

Quote:
Great idea. Will get some cards printed immediately. Thanks for that smart advice. I'm also a fan of dropping in to schools. Takes time though. Managing to reach 5-6 schools per day.
Don't bother going and ordering them online though, Microsoft Publisher has some templates. Just stick in a nice simple clip art image with it and print on card.
Thanks from:
19-09-2015, 17:27   #15
hockey21

Quote:
Hey just wondering iv done all my cvs for subbing in just wondering do I find out the principals name for my cover letter for each school or do I just write dear principal? I'm going to a lot of schools???

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion