Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€900 Jacket

Options
  • 20-09-2016 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭

Has anyone seen today that Dunnes Stores is selling a jacket for 900? I really think they've lost the run of themselves haha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

WTF!!!!!!!

GingerLily wrote: »
    WTF!!!!!!!

I know!! Would love to find out how many of these they actually sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

I wouldn't spend 30 euro on that. You'd want some longevity out of a 900 euro coat

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

It's reversible so really 2 coats in one so only 450 a look

Doesn't make it any better :eek:

Have noticed everything in Dunne's jump in price!! Penny's in Liffey Valley will hopefully give me a cheaper alternative when it opens!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

HelgaWard wrote: »

That's like a purse you'd pick up in Tiger for €2. Crazy.

saggycaggy wrote: »
    That's like a purse you'd pick up in Tiger for €2. Crazy.

Thought the exact same thing. I wonder if there are actually people that have that much money but absolutely no sense. Crazy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Exact same mens shirts which were €8 a few months ago are €15 now.

The St. Stephens Green store has to be the most infuriating shop ever now. You can get f*cking black garlic and spiralised courgettes but god help you if you want a carton of cream and pan of Brennans.

FFS. I could buy a goddamn Tom Ford jacket for less than that.

TOM FORD.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Actually ridiculous.

Price aside, does anyone like the actual coat? Think it would be an amazing blanket to snuggle up to, but wouldn't fancy it as a coat!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Yeah Dunnes started to lose the run of themselves about 2/3 years ago but its startng to reach peak #notions now by the looks of things.

I thought it was bad when I saw a small copper frying pan in there for €120.

Dunnes seldom sell anything I want anyway so I suppose I'll just stop shopping there altogether. I am the type to sometimes spend ridiculous money on stuff but I can't be convinced that doing so in Dunnes is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

Haha I honestly don't even like the jacket anyway. I remember they were selling a plank of wood for 60 as well before. I'd love to know who buys this stuff

My local Dunnes is the one in Stillorgan SC. "Notions" barely even covers it. They hardly sell any normal Dunnes stock, its all their "designer" collaborations and ridiculous prices to match. I sometimes ramble around in in while my car is being washed but I have no idea who actually shops there.

Haha omg. I remember popping into the Dunnes on Henry Street because I had just got my hair done and it started to rain so I looked around and I seen a really plain/not really nice purse by Paul Costello for 100 and I actually snorted 'Ha!'. Paul Costello has a lot to answer to :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My local Dunnes is the one in Stillorgan SC. "Notions" barely even covers it. They hardly sell any normal Dunnes stock, its all their "designer" collaborations and ridiculous prices to match. I sometimes ramble around in in while my car is being washed but I have no idea who actually shops there.

You're close to Foxrock etc there. People must be buying it, otherwise they wouldn't be selling it.

That jacket is definitely not for me anyway, regardless of price. When I spend a lot of money on clothes, shoes etc (which I do), I want to be sure that I am getting value for money. I would spend €900 on a coat, but one that I could wear regularly and get value from. Somehow, I can't see a shearling coat being that usable.

dudara wrote: »
    You're close to Foxrock etc there. People must be buying it, otherwise they wouldn't be selling it.

That jacket is definitely not for me anyway, regardless of price. When I spend a lot of money on clothes, shoes etc (which I do), I want to be sure that I am getting value for money. I would spend €900 on a coat, but one that I could wear regularly and get value from. Somehow, I can't see a shearling coat being that usable.

Yeah but its always extremely quiet. Someone once mentioned to me that they heard that its supposed to be a sort of flagship store for them and they don't necessarily make money there. Its certainly not operating on volume.

I've never spent €900 on a coat (most was €600) but I've definitely spent that much on a handbag previously. But like yourself, anything i spend that type of money on has to be a piece that I think will work in my wardrobe for years to come. For example I invested in a Jaeger camel colured wrap coat a few years back and its still perfect. Pink shearling with stars on the elbows.... not so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Warehouse has a shearling coat for about 1000 EUR. It's pink too so it seems they are fashionable. It's a coat that is made from material that's expensive. There are also a leather to ans skirt that are more expensive than usual stuff sold in Dunnes.

I think it's safe to say the collection isn't aimed towards usual Dunnes customers but I find it is at least interesting. A lot of high street clothing brands today offer also more premium collection. The question is this one a bit to premium for brand like Dunnes. Anyway I can't see what the outrage is about the coat. It's made of natural material that demands certain price point. It's like saying you wont buy fur coat because there are coats in Penny's that are fraction of the price. Well duh.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Ha ha ha! I actually flicked over to xpose this evening and some wan was banging on about this coat. Once I saw it I assumed they were in some kind of hobo vintage style shop and I flicked the channel again. I didn't hear the price. It's awful. I wouldn't buy it in tesco. And tesco has some lovely bits in it at the moment. €900!! That's just...wow.

The thing is, H&M have had some really successful high end fashion collabs and they've even been cheaper haha. This jacket is really tacky imo

The thing is, H&M have had some really successful high end fashion collabs and they've even been cheaper haha. This jacket is really tacky imo

How much should the dead sheep cost? It's not exactly your everyday polyester.

• Advertisement

I completely agree, but it seems like a complete waste as the jacket isn't even that nice looking (imo). I would much rather invest the money on more statement pieces that would last longer than the trend I suppose. x

I completely agree, but it seems like a complete waste as the jacket isn't even that nice looking (imo). I would much rather invest the money on more statement pieces that would last longer than the trend I suppose. x

I absolutely agree. It's not my cup of tea but there seem to be quite a few shearing coats floating about around the same price point (Massimo Dutti, Warehouse) and pink is one of the colors of the season.

It's a collection to draw attention and I would doubt it was intended as money maker. As said the coat is not my cup off tea (in general nothing pink is) but I actually think some cheaper tops are less inspiring from the design pow. Anyway Dunnes are repositioning themselves as a bit more upmarket (or less bottom market) brand as they used to be and I suspect very limited amount of higher price items will do them no harm. But it won't make money either.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Has anyone noticed that, according to the website, there's only actually one jacket in stock? The jacket is nothing more than some PR for Dunnes's new collections!

That or there are a number of stupid people out there actually spending that money!

I'm not sure but I think there were two sizes on the offer earlier yesterday.

Anyway people people used to spend houndeds of Euro on Ugg boots. This coat is a lot less offensive.

It seems that only ten coats were made but basically the whole collection was a sell out.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/fashion/dunnes-stores-900-price-tag-no-barrier-as-limited-edition-collection-sells-out-1.2799659

It's not my style but it's nice to see that there is market for more interesting pieces and not just stuff bought of mass production lines in Asia.

Advertisement