Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Yesterday, 11:09   #1
scrgirl

Macbook on pigsback

Would appreciate thoughts on this macbook refurb,
https://www.pigsback.com/en-ie/offer...ech-market-ltd

IS it worth the money? What kind of performance could I expect, use for photoshop and Lightroom mostly as well as usual entertainment purposes
Advertisement
Yesterday, 11:12   #2
lordlame

No, it’s ancient - core 2 duo cpu for example.
Yesterday, 11:13   #3
scrgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordlame View Post
No, it’s ancient - core 2 duo cpu for example.
thank you, what kind of spec should I be looking for? Bit of a philisitine when it comes to knowing how to buy a laptop
Yesterday, 12:16   #4
antodeco
Warning: Contains traces of nuts

That's the 2009 model. I have one and it breaks my heart tondo anything on it in the slightest!
(2) thanks from:
Yesterday, 12:20   #5
Sheep Shagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by antodeco View Post
That's the 2009 model. I have one and it breaks my heart tondo anything on it in the slightest!
Yep says it in the specs on fairness to the seller.

Just bought a non mac laptop for less than that brand new (2019 model).
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
Yesterday, 12:59   #6
scrgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Shagger View Post
Yep says it in the specs on fairness to the seller.

Just bought a non mac laptop for less than that brand new (2019 model).
what laptop did you get?
Yesterday, 13:23   #7
Homelander

That would've been a mid-range spec around 12 years ago....nothing to do with being against Mac, but you would be tenfold better off getting a new €300-400 laptop. Not only would it be new, it would be significantly faster.

Equally from looking on Adverts you can pick up 2nd hand Macbooks with similar spec for €150-200.
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 13:29   #8
bidiots

What do you need to do with what software? Start there and then figure out your max budget. Then we can give you advice
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 13:32   #9
scrgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidiots View Post
What do you need to do with what software? Start there and then figure out your max budget. Then we can give you advice
Just photoshop/lightroom as well as general entertainment, as mentioned in opening post
Advertisement
Yesterday, 13:33   #10
JDxtra

In general, anything on Pigsback is not a bargain. Its either knock off junk or refurbished ancient tech like this.
Yesterday, 15:30   #11
glasso

this is a solid performing 4-core cpu laptop with great all-metal build quality, great keyboard, full hd ips screen and very portable at 1.5kg

it also has good thermal design so can get the best performance out of that particular chip (can run at high speeds longer)

it's 550 £ but any cheaper laptop is going to be plastic build and with a worse screen and just generally not as good.

this will provide good performance for years.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-Mate...mputers&sr=1-2
Yesterday, 15:37   #12
Sheep Shagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrgirl View Post
what laptop did you get?
Not the flashest model by a long shot but fir WFM where I'm storing everything on a work server it is fast and does the trick.

We were given a tax free allowance to buy equipment before this all blew up, wanted to keep my personal laptop for exactly that - personal stuff.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9175479/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/Trail/searchtext%3EASUS.htm
Yesterday, 17:23   #13
bidiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrgirl View Post
Just photoshop/lightroom as well as general entertainment, as mentioned in opening post
For general multimedia use, a general run of the mill 400 laptop from the usual places will do the job. But, once you start with the Adobe Suite, regardless of which app, you will need a decent Graphics card, otherwise you will be pulling your hair out, especially if you are going to deal with RAW images or high end processing.
What is your budget?
Yesterday, 19:21   #14
glasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidiots View Post
For general multimedia use, a general run of the mill 400 laptop from the usual places will do the job. But, once you start with the Adobe Suite, regardless of which app, you will need a decent Graphics card, otherwise you will be pulling your hair out, especially if you are going to deal with RAW images or high end processing.
What is your budget?
the amd chips, especially the new 4000 series (just coming out now) have both cpu power and very good integrated graphics - would easily cope with Adobe - even the video editing (which is actually more about cpu than gpu for the most intensive tasks such as rendering).

the main problem with cheaper laptops for this work is getting a quality colour-accurate screen - you just won't find that in a laptop under 700/750 euros.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion