Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Price of Milk

Options
  • 28-07-2003 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I don't know about the rest of you, but I get through a few litres of milk a week and decided to have a look at what it's costing. I was a bit miffed to find out the big difference in price.

I shop at a local SuperQuinn, and...

Avonmore low fat 2lt is EUR 1.60
    Meadow Lane low fat 2lt is only EUR 1.24

To add insult to injury they have gallons of the Avonmore and only take a small delivery of the Meadow Lane once every day or so, so it's usually sold out by around 11am.

Choose your milk!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭SteM

1 litre Avonmore = €1.05 in the Spar around the corner.
    2 litres own brand = €1.14 in the Tesco on the way home.

Guess which one I go for?

IIRC Tesco's own brand comes from the same suppliers as Avonmore's I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Originally posted by SteM

Spar has always been a complete rip off in my opinion. I never buy anything there if, I can help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

1 Litre of Stratroy Milk in spar 1.02
    2 Litre of Stratroy Milk in Iceland 1.06

• Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

75 cent a litre in SuperValu Lidl aldi and dunnes, milk is cheap

The internet isn’t for everyone

Btw this is bargain alerts, there is a request forum somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

OmegaGene wrote:
    , milk is cheap

Thanks to retailers screwing dairy farmers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Don't feed the troll...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I had a local green grocer who did milk cheaper than tesco, I have seen another small shop who did the same.
    Pique wrote: »
    Thanks to retailers screwing dairy farmers.
    This always comes up in any thread on milk. I wonder why the same is not said in the booze threads. I was able to get guinness for 16euro a tray, are the grain farmers being screwed by tesco? and if not why are they not trying to screw them in a similar way?

In threads on cheap chicken it is usually somebody banging on about free range etc, but do they not try and screw the farmers to the same degree as with milk? I have seen the odd comment but nowhere near the same level as these dairy farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭roosterman71

rubadub wrote: »
    This always comes up in any thread on milk. I wonder why the same is not said in the booze threads. I was able to get guinness for 16euro a tray, are the grain farmers being screwed by tesco? and if not why are they not trying to screw them in a similar way?

Guinness, or more specifically Boortmalt are trying it on with the grain for the beer industry.

I prefer the avanmore low fat super milk to other milk so I buy it even though it’s more expensive. It’s also got lots of added vitimans and comes in a carton not plastic like most brands and milk is much nicer from a carton than plastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭deep1

OmegaGene wrote: »
    75 cent a litre in SuperValu Lidl aldi and dunnes, milk is cheap

Replying to 16 year old thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

deep1 wrote: »

Was thinking thats damn cheap for milk

deep1 wrote: »

It was in page 1 of bargain alerts earlier unless someone replied and deleted a comment to get it up into bargain alerts first page like the Easter eggs post

Thread reported so should be closed soon

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

rubadub wrote: »

In threads on cheap chicken it is usually somebody banging on about free range etc, but do they not try and screw the farmers to the same degree as with milk? I have seen the odd comment but nowhere near the same level as these dairy farmers.

Dairy and beef farmers, however, continue to produce even when they are paid significantly below production costs (as they cross-subsidise their loss making dairy or beef activities with SFP and other income). The exact same thing happens when supermarkets flog vegetables at 29c/39c a bag- its a loss for the producer. Supermarkets have farmers by the gonads, and they know it. It really is a race to the bottom..........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

fritzelly wrote: »
    Was thinking thats damn cheap for milk

Tesco whole milk is €1.49 for 2l or 75c/l today (Feb 2019).16 years and no change in the price of milk really is incredible.

If it kept track with typical inflation it ought to be somewhere between 25-50% more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco whole milk is €1.49 for 2l or 75c/l today (Feb 2019).16 years and no change in the price of milk really is incredible.

If it kept track with typical inflation it ought to be somewhere between 25-50% more expensive
    no change?
    SteM wrote: »
    it has gone up 30.7%

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭ted1

SteM wrote: »

Guess which one I go for?

IIRC Tesco's own brand comes from the same suppliers as Avonmore's I think!

Is the own brand Irish milk , do it have the national dairy council logo?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭roosterman71

How has the price at the farm gate changed I wonder in the same timeframe

Edit: Found a link on CSO
    https://www.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/statire/Graphics/MakeGraph.asp?menu=y&pxfile=20192189324411299552AJM07.px&gr_type=1&PLanguage=0

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The base price for milk is 32c/litre. Add on 7/8c for liquid milk all year round production.
    The solids esp fat would be higher from the cow, and the farmer paid for that but that extra solids don't make it to the retailer in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

A dairy farmer in Maynooth told me Premier milk and Avonmore are the exact same stuff coming from the same place.

Premier 1.05

Avonmore 1.24

People like to pay extra for better advertising it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Why would anyone buy anything other than store brand?

Avanmore costs a fortune.

Aldi/Lidl/Tesco are all perfectly fine.

Would love people to do a blind taste test.

A dairy farmer in Maynooth told me Premier milk and Avonmore are the exact same stuff coming from the same place.

Premier 1.05

Avonmore 1.24

People like to pay extra for better advertising it seems.

You don't even need to believe the farmer. Dairy and meat products have an oval symbol with a country code and number indicating the country and dairy/ meat processing plant where the product came from.

Although I've never checked for premier/avonmore many ownbrand and branded milks come from the same dairies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I find the premium brands a bit more creamier tasting, but prefer the cheaper stuff

They have the same fat content and are all homogenised, no diff.

Why would anyone buy anything other than store brand?

Avanmore costs a fortune.

Aldi/Lidl/Tesco are all perfectly fine.

Would love people to do a blind taste test.

For the reasons I gave, avanmore is a carton (milk tastes crap form plastic + carton is also more recyclable) and it has a lot of added Vitimans. It also lasts far longer I found than own brands, it’s still not turned even the day after it’s use by date whereas many milks barely make their use by date.

M/s Talbot will be delighted with you. Glad you'll pay for her multi million euro salary.

For the reasons I gave, avanmore is a carton (milk tastes crap form plastic + carton is also more recyclable) and it has a lot of added Vitimans. It also lasts far longer I found than own brands, it’s still not turned even the day after it’s use by date whereas many milks barely make their use by date.

SuperValu Lidl and aldi all have cartons for 75cent
    Avonmore can feck off it all comes from the same tit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Eh own brands do cartons too ya know.

Milk cartons are lined with plastic and are not straightforward to recycle. Some people say that plastic jugs impart a plastic taste to milk but what they're actually tasting is the milk turning. Milk does tend to turn faster in plastic jugs as milk is light sensitive, which a paper carton does a better job of shielding.

If you pick your plastic jug from the back of the fridge in the shop and your fridge is cold enough, it won't turn any faster nor taste any different to it's paper relative. Depending on household demand I buy milk in both paper and plastic as needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Tried own brand stuff and Avonmore and can never tell the difference. So I always buy own brand as it's so much cheaper.

Strong believe the 'extra vitamins" are just marketing rubbish. Why do you need the extra vitamins?

As for turning, you don't wonder why Avonmore's last longer? Maybe it's the extra vitamins they put in?

As already stated own brands do cartons as well and are not as recyclable as you make out.

I think we should go back to the re-usable milk bottle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement