Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Figerty wrote: »
    Laois are heading the right way. some class hurlers. Gained a lot of respect today.

yep impressed , they lack a forward or two , a really good side in the making most of them are fairly young , but they pressed us when we were all ireland champions 6 years ago in a league 1/4 final under cheddar plunkett and let it slip its important they build now and dont fall backwards again

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

I think a draw back we need to take here is in regards to the wides. I know the breeze made things very, very hard but Laois only hit I think 4 wides. We hit 11 if I'm remembering correctly.
    This is an issue I think has been swept under the rug for a long time but I'm going to address it here. Wides are a serious issue for Clare. I'm going to link a video here because Liam sheedy puts it very well on his sunday game analysis of Clare's 2017 loss to Tipperary in the Quarter Final- https://youtu.be/w0GCnD1TRBA?t=541
    Looking at Clare's record in big matches it's an issue that needs to be addressed. In the 2017 Munster Final we lost, in no small part due to hitting **15** wides. In the first half of the All Ireland semi final replay for 2018 there was also a serious issue with wides. In the match I linked, again, serious, serious issue with wides.
    Clare players, particulary Colm Galvin, do a lot of hail Mary shooting, and to put it simply it's the wrong direction. That ball should no go for some wild attempt to put it over the bar, it should be lobbed straight down into the forwards. It might be cleared away-But in the very least it puts their goal under siege. Once it gets into the d or the large rectangle or even small rectangle- a threat, in the danger zone if you would. But most of the time it's going straight to the left or right of the post.
    I think the answer is to start playing a short passing and running game. Backs should carry the ball into the forwards and take a short route in there. It's an easier and more safe route to scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Feenie wrote: »
    I think a draw back we need to take here is in regards to the wides. I know the breeze made things very, very hard but Laois only hit I think 4 wides. We hit 11 if I'm remembering correctly.
    This is an issue I think has been swept under the rug for a long time but I'm going to address it here. Wides are a serious issue for Clare. I'm going to link a video here because Liam sheedy puts it very well on his sunday game analysis of Clare's 2017 loss to Tipperary in the Quarter Final- https://youtu.be/w0GCnD1TRBA?t=541
    Looking at Clare's record in big matches it's an issue that needs to be addressed. In the 2017 Munster Final we lost, in no small part due to hitting **15** wides. In the first half of the All Ireland semi final replay for 2018 there was also a serious issue with wides. In the match I linked, again, serious, serious issue with wides.
    Clare players, particulary Colm Galvin, do a lot of hail Mary shooting, and to put it simply it's the wrong direction. That ball should no go for some wild attempt to put it over the bar, it should be lobbed straight down into the forwards. It might be cleared away-But in the very least it puts their goal under siege. Once it gets into the d or the large rectangle or even small rectangle- a threat, in the danger zone if you would. But most of the time it's going straight to the left or right of the post.
    I think the answer is to start playing a short passing and running game. Backs should carry the ball into the forwards and take a short route in there. It's an easier and more safe route to scores.

"I think the answer is to start playing a short passing and running game. Backs should carry the ball into the forwards and take a short route in there. It's an easier and more safe route to scores."

And predictable, and limiting and what we were doing for the past 10 years..

It's fairly simple, no one pattern of play can win a match, and anyone who ever played at high standard will tell you that at some point in any competitive game it will come down to a battle. That battle has to be won before any tactics have a value. Tipp won that battle against Wexford last year before the clawed back 5 points with a man less. Wexford failed becuase the had a game plan that was flawed when they ran out of steam. It caused them to run out of steam.

A lot of hail mary shots come when you play with a sweeper.. Look at what Shannaher did today when he came on. He won his own ball, but it was directed to him, he then scored and to be fair to the full back there wasn't much he could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Thunder, lightening, hail and severe winds. That's the weather atm here in Ennis. No worries say the GAA the Clare v Laois hurling game goes ahead. Sure till be all grand!

We really have the most inept administrators in Irish sport despite the record revenues that the GAA got in the last year. No wonder there such disconnect between officialdom and the grassroots in the GAA.

Think about that one for a second now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭KIB4Life

The Clare Team for tomorrow’s nights U20 football game has been announced.

Team in Full
    Tom O’Brien (Doora Barefield)
    Manus Doherty (Eire Og)
    Micheál Murray (Miltown)
    Ciarán McMahon (Ennistymon)
    Daniel Walsh (Kilmurry Ibrickane)
    Cillian Rouine (Ennistymon)
    Seán Conway (Doonbeg) (C)
    Oisín Looney (Miltown)
    Eoin Rouine (Ennistymon)
    John Murphy (Ennistymon)
    Emmet McMahon (Kildysart)
    Thomas Clancy (O’Currys)
    Diarmuid O’Donnell (Kildysart)
    Shane Meehan (Banner)
    Mark McInerney (Eire Og)

Subs
    Oisín O’Loughlin (St Breckans)
    Eoghan Thynne (Doora Barefield)
    Morgan Garry (Clondegad)
    Gavin D’Auria (Eire Og)
    Seamus Casey (Kildysart)
    Stephen Sheehan (Kildysart)
    Cian McDonagh (Doora Barefield)
    Cian Meaney (Lissycasey)
    Darren O’Brien (Eire Og)
    Jack Reidy (Shannon Gaels)
    Tadhg Lillis (Doonbeg)
    Cian Flanagan (Miltown)
    Mark Cleary (Banner)
    Robin Mounsey (Ruan)
    Jamie Stack (Doora Barefield)
    Gearoid Collins (Eire Og)
    Darragh Conneely (Ennistymon)
    Diarmuid King (Kilmurry Ibrickane)
    Gearoid Cahill (Corofin)
    Conor Carrig (Wolfe Tones)

Quite a strong squad and they should win tomorrow evening and hopefully be able to give a good rattle to Cork next week if they progress. There’s a good balance to the team and the senior team will probably be back boned by a lot of this team in the coming years.

There’s a strong half back in Walsh, Rouine and Conway who all have plenty of ability and have the potential to attack and get scores. The full forward line is also strong with one of the most prestigious talents in the country let alone the county in Shane Meehan, who has huge skill and ability.

Also a strong spread of Clubs reprensented with 17 different clubs represented including Robin Mounsey from Ruan,who plays his club football with Corofin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Clare v Waterford U20 football match at Miltown Malbay was to be held tonight but has now been postponed. The match looks set to be 're-fixed for tomorrow at 7 pm subject to confirmation.

Clare v Waterford U20 football match at Miltown Malbay was to be held tonight but has now been postponed. The match looks set to be 're-fixed for tomorrow at 7 pm subject to confirmation.

Confirmed for tomorrow. Thursday evening at 7 pm in Miltown Malbay.

Best of luck to the Clare U20 footballers in their first round Munster championship opener against their Waterford counterparts at Miltown Malbay tonight with throw-in at 7.

Clare GAA fixtures this weekend.

Ladies football Clare v Meath NFL Division two throw in on this Sunday is at 12 in Doonbeg

Camogie Kilkenny v Clare in Nowlan Park Division one National camogie league throw in at 12 noon on this Sunday.

Minor hurling challenge Clare v Galway this Saturday at Kinvara, weather permitting.

NFL Division two football Clare v Laois at Cusack park Sunday. Throw in time is at 2 pm

NHL Division 1B Kilkenny v Clare at Nowlan park on Sunday. Throw in time is also at 2 pm.

Hon the Banner!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭letowski

Just looked on Twitter, the Clare U20 footballers are going very well against Waterford tonight.

Shane Meehan with 2 goals and a couple of points.

Just a question, has this county ever produced such a talented dual star underage like Meehan?

Admittedly, with myself being predominantly a hurling follower, I'm well aware he is an awesome talent in football also (I think he was Munster U17 footballer of the year). Either way I hope he go on to have much sucess in what path he chooses to follow in his senior intercounty career.

letowski wrote: »
    Just looked on Twitter, the Clare U20 footballers are going very well against Waterford tonight.

Just a question, has this county ever produced such a talented dual star underage like Meehan?

Admittedly, with myself being predominantly a hurling follower, I'm well aware he is an awesome talent in football also (I think he was Munster U17 footballer of the year). Either way I hope he go on to have much sucess in what path he chooses to follow in his senior intercounty career.

Diarmuid Cahill from Corofin is very impressive dual player too. But it appears his focus is on the hurling fields. Cillian Mcroary also from Corofin is also a top dual player and he is underage for minor in 2020. But Shane Meehan is the real talk of the town atm. A good soccer player in his own right he simply waltzes through defences with his pace and agility, ducking and diving defenders.

IMO we will put it right up to Cork next week in the Munster U20 football semi-final. Whether that is good enough against what appears to be the rebel county finest underage football team for many a generation, is the ultimate $64 million dollar question. But we won't be found wanting in terms of workrate and desire and with Miltown Malbay set to be the venue for next Wednesday, I hope that a big Clare following can help the lads who have put in a huge effort since October last.

Hon the Banner!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Colin Lynch, probably a better footballer than hurler and played underage for Clare at all levels, even played Junior football for Clare, I think he might have played a couple of senior league matches as well

I suppose this opens another gate now. With the rise of football in Clare we could face a similar issue to Dublin where their underage players more want to go off and play county football.
    There's a good sunday game section where Ger Loughnane discusses it with Donal Óg Cusack-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiqutAURRRY
    Either way all the best to him, he's a brilliant player.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I suppose this opens another gate now. With the rise of football in Clare we could face a similar issue to Dublin where their underage players more want to go off and play county football.
    There's a good sunday game section where Ger Loughnane discusses it with Donal Óg Cusack-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiqutAURRRY
    Either way all the best to him, he's a brilliant player.

Back in the day it wasn't unusual for a minor to be told to make a decision on what to play, Martin Daly for example won a Harty and College All Ireland with Flannan's but never went any further, Alan Markham played minor hurling and football. Dual clubs weren't that common in Clare until recently so wasn't usually an issue now though it's going to become a bigger and bigger issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Gael85

KIB4Life wrote: »
    The Clare Team for tomorrow’s nights U20 football game has been announced.

Team in Full
    Tom O’Brien (Doora Barefield)
    Manus Doherty (Eire Og)
    Micheál Murray (Miltown)
    Ciarán McMahon (Ennistymon)
    Daniel Walsh (Kilmurry Ibrickane)
    Cillian Rouine (Ennistymon)
    Seán Conway (Doonbeg) (C)
    Oisín Looney (Miltown)
    Eoin Rouine (Ennistymon)
    John Murphy (Ennistymon)
    Emmet McMahon (Kildysart)
    Thomas Clancy (O’Currys)
    Diarmuid O’Donnell (Kildysart)
    Shane Meehan (Banner)
    Mark McInerney (Eire Og)

Subs
    Oisín O’Loughlin (St Breckans)
    Eoghan Thynne (Doora Barefield)
    Morgan Garry (Clondegad)
    Gavin D’Auria (Eire Og)
    Seamus Casey (Kildysart)
    Stephen Sheehan (Kildysart)
    Cian McDonagh (Doora Barefield)
    Cian Meaney (Lissycasey)
    Darren O’Brien (Eire Og)
    Jack Reidy (Shannon Gaels)
    Tadhg Lillis (Doonbeg)
    Cian Flanagan (Miltown)
    Mark Cleary (Banner)
    Robin Mounsey (Ruan)
    Jamie Stack (Doora Barefield)
    Gearoid Collins (Eire Og)
    Darragh Conneely (Ennistymon)
    Diarmuid King (Kilmurry Ibrickane)
    Gearoid Cahill (Corofin)
    Conor Carrig (Wolfe Tones)

Quite a strong squad and they should win tomorrow evening and hopefully be able to give a good rattle to Cork next week if they progress. There’s a good balance to the team and the senior team will probably be back boned by a lot of this team in the coming years.

There’s a strong half back in Walsh, Rouine and Conway who all have plenty of ability and have the potential to attack and get scores. The full forward line is also strong with one of the most prestigious talents in the country let alone the county in Shane Meehan, who has huge skill and ability.

Also a strong spread of Clubs reprensented with 17 different clubs represented including Robin Mounsey from Ruan,who plays his club football with Corofin.

Is Rouine a son of Beano or JJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭KIB4Life

Gael85 wrote: »
    Is Rouine a son of Beano or JJ?

Cillian is Beano’s son, while Eoin is John’s son another brother of JJ and Beano. While another son of Beano’s is on the Clare Minor Panel. A great football family and also as nice a family you wouldn’t meet anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Gael85

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Cillian is Beano’s son, while Eoin is John’s son another brother of JJ and Beano. While another son of Beano’s is on the Clare Minor Panel. A great football family and also as nice a family you wouldn’t meet anywhere.

Did JJ play with Milltown at one stage?

No Diarmuid Ryan or Colm Galvin in the starting Clare 15 again for their NHL Division 1B clash against Kilkenny in Nowlan park on Sunday.

Domhall McMahon from Tubber makes his competitive inter-county debut for Clare.

In football Dale Masterson replaces Ciaran Russell in midfield ahead of Clare's crucial nfl division 2 match against Laois in Ennis also on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭big_drive

Is the Clare hurling team named, can’t find it online?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭brookville

big_drive wrote: »
    Is the Clare hurling team named, can’t find it online?

Clare team v Kilkenny: Donal Tuohy; Liam Corry , Conor Cleary, Jack Browne; Stephen O'Halloran, Pat O'Connor, Aidan McCarthy; David McInerney , Tony Kelly; Colin Guilfoyle, David Reidy, Domhnall McMahon; Ryan Taylor, John Conlon, Shane O`Donnell

brookville wrote: »
    Clare team v Kilkenny: Donal Tuohy; Liam Corry , Conor Cleary, Jack Browne; Stephen O'Halloran, Pat O'Connor, Aidan McCarthy; David McInerney , Tony Kelly; Colin Guilfoyle, David Reidy, Domhnall McMahon; Ryan Taylor, John Conlon, Shane O`Donnell

Little less on the experimental side here, not a bad starting 15 at all. Brian has been building up Domhall McMahon for the past while so I'm expecting alot of him. Ryan Taylor has alot of momentum going for him now and seems to have stamped down his name on the 13 jersey, after many years waiting on the bench.
    The only change I would make is starting Niall Deasy.

• Advertisement

So after Wexford's win over Dublin, a win for Clare over Kilkenny tomorrow will guarantee top spot for the Banner and an automatic place in the NHL Division one semi-final.

So after Wexford's win over Dublin, a win for Clare over Kilkenny tomorrow will guarantee top spot for the Banner and an automatic place in the NHL Division one semi-final.

That raises another question, what are Clare's chances at this one? I myself am not too sure but it'll be tight.

That raises another question, what are Clare's chances at this one? I myself am not too sure but it'll be tight.

Hard to know. The newly arranged Clare lineup have only been tested in one game so far in adverse weather conditions. Tomorrow will be a big test, especially for the spine of the backline as well as McInerney in midfield. I'm looking forward to the game. Need a big game from Conlon inside.

What a win by the Clare senior camogie team today, after beating Kilkenny by 2 points in the National camogie league division one at Nowlan park. Two wins from two for Ger O Connell's charges a huge victory indeed. Final score was Clare 1-9 Kilkenny 0-10

In Doonbeg the Clare ladies footballers snatched a 3-12 a piece draw against Meath and have registered their first points in the Division two of the national ladies football league.

A draw. Not so bad. We're still ontop of Division 1a so we could have done worse. Just looking at raw stats (https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1231603242565611520)
    this was still very good. 3 goals is a huge thing for a team who only scored 1 goal in the league so far. 2-1 for Shane O'Donnel is huge, the man is back on his game and other teams should fear that.
    8 different scorers is a very good thing.

Heartbroken is one of many thoughts after leaving Cusack park in the Clare v Laois in the NFL Division two today. We threw that away thanks to our poor option taking in front of goal and terrible shooting in general.

For ourselves Cathal O Connor was immense in the second half. I'm just absolutely devastated as we have now to go to Cavan and win next Sunday. Just hoping for the best but fearing the worst with Cavan in much improved form and are going for four wins in a row.

Sadly the first half performance was utter rubbish and that was a huge telling factor to our narrow loss today.

meanwhile I'm looking forward to reading other posters from Clare and Kilkenny 're the game at Nowlan park. Looked like a most competitive game but like our footballers it appears we shot an awful lot of wides which costed us the 2 points. Next up its Dublin in Ennis.

Heartbroken is one of many thoughts after leaving Cusack park in the Clare v Laois in the NFL Division two today. We threw that away thanks to our poor option taking in front of goal and terrible shooting in general.

For ourselves Cathal O Connor was immense in the second half. I'm just absolutely devastated as we have now to go to Cavan and win next Sunday. Just hoping for the best but fearing the worst with Cavan in much improved form and are going for four wins in a row.

Sadly the first half performance was utter rubbish and that was a huge telling factor to our narrow loss today.

meanwhile I'm looking forward to reading other posters from Clare and Kilkenny 're the game at Nowlan park. Looked like a most competitive game but like our footballers it appears we shot an awful lot of wides which costed us the 2 points. Next up its Dublin in Ennis.

Waiting for the lads to give us an analysis aswell. A certain man with a southpark profile photo was very good the last day against wexford...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Kick outs... we didn't contest in the first half and were beaten by a better finishing team.
    In the second half we went man on man, and won the second half. Lucky not concede a goal off the cross bar, but when it comes down to it, our shooting forwards were very poor in tight spaces. Laois scored some cracking points.
    It may be a three team lottery for the relegation, the defeat of Kildare may well be vital.
    The clare footballers are a honest bunch and deserve respect.

Above all else, a good result in Nowlan Park today. I think most people will agree, to come away with something there is always good in any era.

Alot of positives again to take from today's game. The backline has been solid so far in the league and it was good again this afternoon. We knew that this was going to be a proper test and they played well as a whole. Aidan McCarthy had a really strong game at left half back, while I taught POC played the deep covering center back role well. I like Pat in that role, he is not the quickest obviously but he reads the game well and uses the ball intelligently. Corry was good at cornerback but he got caught for the goal. He needs to be more vigilant of his marker making a run inside him as he was nearly caught last week too. Cleary was very solid at 3 beside him.

Further up Kelly and Davy Mc, I think its fair to say, definitely won theyre midfield dual. It was great to see Davy Mc build on his 2nd half performance versus Laois. He looked the part today and really gives us an engine at center field. But gosh, he had a glorious, just a perfect oppertunity to tap over the winner at the death. But I wont let one moment overshadow in what was his best performance of the year.

The biggest concern from today was our use of ball and wides. With regards to the latter, I'd like to think we can clear some of them up as alot we scoreable, but Kelly having an inconsistent day on the frees is a concern. He played well today, but he needs to bounce back on the frees next week. We also can do a much better job with our distribution. We had the winning of the game with Shane O'Donnell (who Ill get to at the end), but too much of our passes inside were high.

John Conlon had a poor game today and overall hasnt caught fire yet this year. I think he might benefit moving to 11 now with Fitzgerald out for a while. He needs to be more involved. The subs again today made good contributions, with Shanagher again to the fore. The reality is Shanagher deserves his shot now, and has to be rewarded with a starting birth next week against Dublin. Again, he was causing all sorts of problems for the full back. Diarmuid Ryan and Aaron Cunningham also came on, with both of them scoring. Very good to see Ryan in particular back.

Shane O'Donnell was the best player on the field, without question. To be totally honest about it, Im more frustrated than anything becuase he didnt get a whole lot of good quality ball. But when he did, he did serious damage. The first goal his scored and the second one he created, just show how great he can be with ball out in front of him. Lohan has got to be working towards a gameplan that gets good ball into SOD. Come summertime with the dry sod, this guy has the ability to cause teams serious problems. But it was great to see him at his best, a real gem of a player.

Dublin up next in the park, I dont think theyve anything to play for. Hopefully we will see more players get a chance and get through the group stages of the league undefeated.

• Advertisement

Outstanding analysis yet again by letowski. Brilliant stuff. 're distribution of the ball that is the only area that I've concerns about that so far after seeing them in the flesh twice against Carlow and Laois. It needs to be addressed. Look at Limerick they really are the best in the business in their low attacking ball to their nippy forwards.

Yes it's great that we are now being more direct and all that but it needs to have substance and not just launching it 45 to 50 yards just for the sake of it. Long hang time deliveries have always been proven to be counter productive for forwards trying to win that ball. Especially for forwards like O Donnell and isn't it great that he got two goal as an inform Eire og clubman is crucial to our championship prospects in May and hopefully beyond June.

Other than that the return to form of David Mc along with the return of Diarmuid Ryan is most positive indeed. With Wexford playing Carlow and Kilkenny playing Laois, one suspects that regardless of whatever Dublin do against the Banner county next Sunday in Ennis it will not be enough for Dubs to qualify for the quarter finals of the NHL. Nevertheless I'm anticipating a huge battle from Mattie Kenny's charges. A win for Clare is certainly not guaranteed. Looking forward to this one.

Note. There is the possibility of all Division 1B hurling games been put back a week as there are two outstanding games in division 1A to be played after Storm Dennis wrecked havoc last weekend. Stand by for news on this during the early part of the new week.

Advertisement