Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

13-01-2020, 21:08   #1
jarvis

White shirt woes

So I’m wondering can anyone help me out. I’ve a wedding coming up and I need a white shirt. Problem is that I’ve a tattoo on my back that I’d love to not be able to see through the shirt. I’ve also had issues in the past where if I was a girl I’d never where one as nipple view can be an issue.

Anyone recommend a brand of shirt that they’ve had that didn’t have these white shirt woes? Obviously I know you pay for quality but was hoping under €60
Advertisement
14-01-2020, 12:16   #2
L1011

A twill shirt from any supplier should be thick enough to hide a tattoo, Moss would usually have a decent stock of these and they usually have a sale on around now also. Either that or a vest basically.
Thanks from:
14-01-2020, 12:18   #3
realdanbreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvis View Post
So I’m wondering can anyone help me out. I’ve a wedding coming up and I need a white shirt. Problem is that I’ve a tattoo on my back that I’d love to not be able to see through the shirt. I’ve also had issues in the past where if I was a girl I’d never where one as nipple view can be an issue.

Anyone recommend a brand of shirt that they’ve had that didn’t have these white shirt woes? Obviously I know you pay for quality but was hoping under €60

Why did you get a tattoo if you don't want anyone to see that you have a tattoo?
14-01-2020, 12:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdanbreen View Post
Why did you get a tattoo if you don't want anyone to see that you have a tattoo?
Thats an irrelevant question to the OP....
People get tattoos for themselves, not for other people.
14-01-2020, 12:23   #5
Tickers

Quote:

Are you male or female? If male you should be wearing a t-shirt or vest under you shirt anyway.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-01-2020, 12:34   #6
realdanbreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 368100 View Post
Thats an irrelevant question to the OP....
People get tattoos for themselves, not for other people.
So you get a tattoo on your back that you cannot see but you don't want anyone else to see it either!
14-01-2020, 12:46   #7
baby and crumble

Most decent shirt places (ie not penneys) will have thicker weight white shirting material.

You could also wear a vest underneath (make sure to not get a white vest but something like a grey or 'nude' undershirt, white will show really easily under a white shirt).

Or get a waistcoat for on top of your shirt. I prefer a 3 piece suit for a wedding anyway, looks cleaner and more festive. You don't need to get a new suit if you don't have a matching waistcoat for it, 'odd vests' can look really great.

(4) thanks from:
14-01-2020, 12:56   #8
Tickers

Quote:

Brooks Brothers but you'll pay €80, wither way you should be wearing a t-shirt under your shirt anyway.
14-01-2020, 13:14   #9
eviltimeban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickers View Post
Are you male or female? If male you should be wearing a t-shirt or vest under you shirt anyway.
Ha ha!! No you shouldn't.

Thanks for giving me a laugh Tickers.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-01-2020, 13:17   #10
eviltimeban

Anyway OP you've three options:

1. Keep your jacket on (which you should really do anyway, unless you're cutting a rug on the dance floor)
2. Get a heavier twill shirt - M&S / TM Lewin will have these
3. Get a waistcoat.

Do not wear a t shirt under your shirt. Or a vest.
Thanks from:
14-01-2020, 13:18   #11
Tickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
Ha ha!! No you shouldn't.

Thanks for giving me a laugh Tickers.
I think you'll find that proper etiquette stipulates that you should.

Have I just given you that moment where you realised you've been something wrong your whole life?
14-01-2020, 13:23   #12
razorblunt

Jasper Conran in Debenhams.

Don't wear a tshirt under it.
14-01-2020, 13:29   #13
jarvis

Thanks all. Except the ‘why did you get a tattoo brigade’. I also got a c0ck ring but I won’t be waving it around the work canteen. 😂🀣😂🀣.

Anyway I’m a groomsman and the groom has unfortunately decided against a waistcoat which would have been ideal because I love a smart waistcoat.

Twill shirt is probably the info I need so I’ll chase one of those down. Also I never have and never will wear a garment under a shirt. Good etiquette or not I just think it looks silly.
14-01-2020, 13:33   #14
jarvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdanbreen View Post
So you get a tattoo on your back that you cannot see but you don't want anyone else to see it either!
I use the tattoo as a gauge. I’m not bothered if it’s visible 24hrs a day on a normal day but at a wedding it’s a little different. If it can barely be seen it means the shirt is thick enough to not be basically see through.
You know when you see some guy wearing a shirt and you can see his nipples, freckles and chest hairs. It looks absolutely ridiculous.
14-01-2020, 13:33   #15
eviltimeban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickers View Post
I think you'll find that proper etiquette stipulates that you should.

Have I just given you that moment where you realised you've been something wrong your whole life?
Ha ha ha!! Seriously stop it, you're making me spill my coffee.
Thread Closed