Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-10-2018, 17:26   #3106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith View Post
I’m 31, so it’s definitely not too early for you to be feeling it!
Ah you're only a young one
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-10-2018, 19:35   #3107
Sunny Dayz

I’ve found that since Penney’s changed their sizing, their sizing has actually gotten worse. I’m a size 10 but I got a skirt recently in a 12-14 which fits just perfect. I had to size down in a top to a 6-8 and even at that there’s still room in it. I looked at running bottoms in 10-12 and the waistband was much bigger than that. Their sizing is all over the place and I seem to be between their sizes now.
(2) thanks from:
07-10-2018, 11:56   #3108

Oh their sizes are an absolute disaster now. I'm a size 6-8. I used to buy jumpers/tops in a size small in Penneys. Now that their sizes have changed, I have to buy a 2xs which is supposed to be a size 2-4. No way am I a size 2-4. The real pain in the ass then is that they only get a couple of 2xs in stock and they're gone straightaway, so I can't even get clothes there most of the time now. Realistically a 2xs is what their size s would have been before.
I took a top into the fitting room recently in a 6 and an 8 and both were HUGE. I ended up buying it in a 4, yet another top I couldn't get the 8 over my boobs and I'm only an a/b cup!

They really need to cop on with their sizing.
(2) thanks from:
07-10-2018, 12:21   #3109
Addle

Where do you shop when you get too old for the 'high street'?
07-10-2018, 12:34   #3110
Twee.

Depends on your style and what your ideal everyday look is! I find Cos great for really nice structured tops that I can wear with jeans or with trousers for work.

Zara can be worth your time, if you just sort of ignore their styling online or on the mannequins. The looks can seems very out there I find but if you pare them back to individual pieces there's a lot of good in there.

I love the Sunday Times Style mag for a bit of inspo, and the Sunday Independent Life is good for featuring clothes you can actually buy easily in Ireland.

In Penney's I just glide by the character stuff, I can't believe they're shifting so much of it to warrant taking over so much of the shop! I don't mind a few bits for around the house, or on a notebook or two, but I do find it a bit odd for grown women to be so obsessed. In saying that I am the proud owner of Puma X Hello Kitty runners!
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
07-10-2018, 16:42   #3111
Faith
Mary Berry is my idol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addle View Post
Where do you shop when you get too old for the 'high street'?
I’m tending to stick to more high-end high street, if that makes sense. I’d say 75% of my dresses come from Closet London, and I tend to look more at places than Oasis and maybe Warehouse. Still high street, but a little more classic and less trendy than Topshop etc.
(2) thanks from:
07-10-2018, 23:50   #3112
meeeeh

H&M empire except H&M brand. Most of my purchases are from Cos, Arket, Weekday, and Other Stories. I really like Mango, Zara for trousers and some work basics from Uniqlo. An odd purchase from Finery or Uterque and that is 90% of my wardrobe. I'm not overly into florals or boho style so a lot of British (unhealthy obsession with florals) or French ( boho) brands don't appeal to me at the moment.

I actually don't buy that many clothes and keep them for years, I have couple of tops that are about 20 years old.
(3) thanks from:
08-10-2018, 13:35   #3113
Twee.

Oh I love Weekday! I practically fleeced the store in Copenhagen this time last year.

I've gotten a few expensive bits from Maje in the last year, certainly not in my everyday budget but their dresses are lovely, and lots of options come to below the knee which is always a positive in my books!
13-10-2018, 17:44   #3114
Faith
Mary Berry is my idol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Dayz View Post
I’ve found that since Penney’s changed their sizing, their sizing has actually gotten worse. I’m a size 10 but I got a skirt recently in a 12-14 which fits just perfect. I had to size down in a top to a 6-8 and even at that there’s still room in it. I looked at running bottoms in 10-12 and the waistband was much bigger than that. Their sizing is all over the place and I seem to be between their sizes now.
I very rarely shop in Penneys but I got lured in today. I saw a lovely purple coat. I’m normally a size 12 and I always wear a 14 in coats because I need it across the shoulders.

I tried on the 14 in this coat and it was swimming on me.

I tried on the 12, and it was swimming on me.

I tried on the 10 and it was swimming on me and the arms were too short.

I get that the style is supposed to be roomy, but this was ridiculous! I also picked up a “medium” cardigan and could tell just by looking at it that I could fit two of me in it.

Is it an attempt at extreme vanity sizing or what? As if suddenly going from a 12 to an 8 in one shop is going to make you magically skinny in your head?!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-10-2018, 19:36   #3115

Quote:

I tried on the 14 in this coat and it was swimming on me.

I tried on the 12, and it was swimming on me.

I tried on the 10 and it was swimming on me and the arms were too short.
Oh stop! I was in Penneys trying on coats too today. A black & white one in my case. I'd normally be a 6-8 in clothes, but would tend to go for an 8 in coats/jackets in case I have a bulky jumper underneath. Well I looked at them on the rail and didn't even bother trying on the 8. I put the 6 on and it's safe to say that it would probably have fitted Mr Crumble who weighs 12 stone +!

As you say, they are supposed to be a bit loose and not too fitted, but this was taking the Michael!
Thanks from:
13-10-2018, 19:39   #3116
Addle

Sometimes I think the poor sweat shop workers who slave away making cheap clothes for us are just having a laugh at our expense when they add size tags to clothes.
Definitely no quality assurance when it comes to clothes sizes.
29-04-2019, 08:08   #3117
Deja Boo

Hi all, may I ask a question of online shopping experiences? I am very inexperienced and leery of shopping online for clothes (for proper fit and quality) and would appreciate your advice.

I really like some of the fashions (and the discount prices) shown on a repetitive Boards banner Google advert from (a supposed UK site) called Noracora. Since I've never heard of this shop before, I googled reviews. All of the positive ones are suspiciously not well written: "The beauty of woman comes out only when she dressed with her body and in actual fact..." "It is very well taken on my body, I liked my boyfriend, I look more sexy to see..." and my favourite was "ethical business with pug to cuddle..." Sorry, but don't they sound fake?

I googled again and found a disconcerting listing on reddit warning of a scam alert and insisting Noracora is a fraudulent site using a known serial-cybercriminal address in the Uk for their Hong Kong based operation... but since I don't use reddit nor do any online buying, I am not quite sure who or what to believe. Would Boards actually list a scam site on their google banner adverts? (I seriously doubt it.)

So, guess my questions are, has anyone ordered from any of the banner adverts before? is it safe? or do you know of any reputable online shop that carries similar styles to Noracora?

Last edited by Deja Boo; 29-04-2019 at 20:20. Reason: edit is a google ad, not boards banner according to niamh
29-04-2019, 08:10   #3118
Deja Boo

(and thanks!)
29-04-2019, 08:11   #3119
Faith
Mary Berry is my idol
I’m not sure how banner adverts work, but it might be targeted advertising that boards doesn’t directly control. My experience is that hose websites are all fake, and pop up in various incarnations. Telltale signs are gorgeous dresses on beautiful models that are FAR cheaper than you know they should be.

I believe there’s a thread in Feedback or somewhere that you can report propblematic ads to boards.
(2) thanks from:
29-04-2019, 08:14   #3120
Deja Boo

Quote:
I’m not sure how banner adverts work, but it might be targeted advertising that boards doesn’t directly control. My experience is that hose websites are all fake, and pop up in various incarnations. Telltale signs are gorgeous dresses on beautiful models that are FAR cheaper than you know they should be.

I believe there’s a thread in Feedback or somewhere that you can report propblematic ads to boards.
Good to learn, will take heed! So appreciate it Faith!
(I had no idea )

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion