Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metroid Dread

Options
  • 15-06-2021 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,261 ✭✭✭✭

hero?v=2021061516

Metroid Dread

Join intergalactic bounty hunter Samus Aran in her first new 2D Metroid™ story in 19 years
    Samus’ story continues after the events of the Metroid™ Fusion game when she descends upon planet ZDR to investigate a mysterious transmission sent to the Galactic Federation. The remote planet has become overrun by vicious alien lifeforms and chilling mechanical menaces. Samus is more agile and capable than ever, but can she overcome the inhuman threat stalking the depths of ZDR?

Face off against unrelenting E.M.M.I. robots

Once DNA-extracting research machines, the imposing E.M.M.I. are now hunting Samus down. Tensions are high as you evade these E.M.M.I. to avoid a cruel death while finding a way to take them down. Find out what turned these robotic wonders into the scourge of ZDR and escape with your life.

Feel Samus’ power grow as you gain maneuvers and abilities

Acquire new and familiar abilities as you traverse the many environments of this dangerous world. Parkour over obstacles, slide through tight spaces, counter enemies, and battle your way through the planet. Return to areas and use your new abilities to find upgrades, alternate paths, and a way forward. Explore the sprawling map, evade and destroy E.M.M.I. robots, and overcome the dread plaguing ZDR.
    screenshot01?v=2021061516

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/metroid-dread-switch/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,261 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Metroid Dread – Coming October 8th! (Nintendo Switch)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=vYCAh2RxtcI

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CastorTroy wrote: »

*insert Waynes World 'It will be mine' gif*

Not showing up on smyths or amazon yet.
    Gamestop has a listing for Dread but not the collector's edition. €69.99

• Advertisement

It's listed as €60 on Nintendo's game page. I think the Collector's Edition will be pricey. I paid €90(or maybe €85), pretty sure for Samus Returns Collector's Edition on 3DS. That was a nicer collector's item than this though.

visual style is quite reminiscent of Shadow Complex imo

The above Treehouse Live video is part 1. Nintendo have renamed it as they had a second Metroid Dread section during Treehouse Live.

Metroid Dread - Nintendo Treehouse: Live | E3 2021 - Part 2

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nSybAYyVpPY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Looking forward to this. Don't usually like those "chase" type games but I think they'll pull it off and it looks like it's only when you go into certain areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Looks like Nintendo have published more info on the game here:

Metroid Dread Report Vol. 1: A closer look at the reveal trailer

It indicates that the
    X Parasite still exists, and is why the EMMI machines are there, and most likely why they attack Samus... or why they've been corrupted and attack her.

Also, has anyone else noticed the presence of a certain thing in the trailer?
    A living Chozo?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As someone who loves Metroidvanias, and is my default go-to genre, I'm excited to play a "traditional" one from the very progenitor. Rare enough these days those sort of games actually take the 2.5D approach - Bloodstained did but the art-style was absolute a$$.

glasso wrote: »
    visual style is quite reminiscent of Shadow Complex imo

I quite liked this game actually.

It wasn't overly long or overly difficult.

On pc and the non-Nintendo consoles.

342835-shadow-complex-remastered-screenshot.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Really enjoyed Mercury Steam remake of Samus Returns. Particularly loved the final boss battle even if canon wise it was questionable.
    Very much looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fugyvuhgvhbjb

Will smyths have the special edition? And why is their site down today of fall days lol

Something must have happened as it went down last night at about 11, so unlikely to be planned.
    I'm waiting to see about the special edition.

Their twitter is very vague about it
    Hi there! Our website is currently undergoing maintenance! We expect it to be back up and running soon :) Please keep an eye out there for updates, apologies for any inconvenience caused by this!

Maybe preparing for the Pro launch. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I've never played a Metroid game. Looking forward to trying this one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you are paying for the Online service on Switch, play Super Metroid on the SNES.
    Then play Metroid on the NES!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fair be warned though, Super Metroid wasn't immune to "old games bullshít" IIRC; where the only way you'd know how to proceed was by crossing your fingers, turning three times on a Tuesday, and buying Nintendo Power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Good tip. Will do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I can't get on with the original metroid, but Super Metroid is excellent. Personally the one I don't get on with is OG Metroid - drawing my own map is one of those "nope, not doing it" things for me in games.

edit: having said that, I can see that this announcement is going to have me revisiting at least Return of Samus, Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion. Don't have a 3DS so that's out, but I do have the Prime Trilogy on Wii... (We don't speak about Other M)

Yeah I tried replaying the NES metroid a while ago and everything just looks so samey.
    The Zero Mission remake would be the best way to experience it. Of course, that's not too helpful since the only way to play it is on GBA I believe

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I have played Zero Mission at some point, and yeah it's pretty good. Man, I wish Nintendo would add GB and GBA games to NSO.

Zero mission is excellent. Especially for high level sequence breaks the devs actually intended.

Original Metroid for NES you need a guide for and even then some of the walls and stuff you have to know to do is random

Super Metroid requires no guide imo. There's some trial and error but all possible routes available to you at any time are quite short. There is one iffy moment where you are required to blow a tunnel. There's visual clues to tell you this but they are so easily missed.
    There's also one wall you can run through and no visual hints to tell you this. It's for an optional power up iirc

"Scan the Samus amiibo for an extra energy tank to increase your health by 100, additionally the Samus amiibo can be tapped again to receive health once per day. The E.M.M.I. amiibo grants Samus a Missile Plus tank, increasing her missile capacity by 10, additionally the E.M.M.I. amiibo can be tapped again to replenish some missiles once per day."

https://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/detail/samus-and-emmi-amiibo-2-pack-set-metroid-series/

Not the worst. It's a far better situation than the bad blood/publicity around Skyward Sword and its amiibo functionality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Turtwig wrote: »
    Zero mission is excellent. Especially for high level sequence breaks the devs actually intended.

Original Metroid for NES you need a guide for and even then some of the walls and stuff you have to know to do is random

Super Metroid requires no guide imo. There's some trial and error but all possible routes available to you at any time are quite short. There is one iffy moment where you are required to blow a tunnel. There's visual clues to tell you this but they are so easily missed.
    There's also one wall you can run through and no visual hints to tell you this. It's for an optional power up iirc

The hint for the tunnel is in the manual!
    The giant manual the game came with!
    I'm not sure, does the Nintendo Online version of the game make that manual available?

Smyths site is back up. 59.99 for the game. No sign of the special edition.
    I also had a look at gamestop and Game. Not there

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/en_gb/metroid-dread-special-edition-P00069.html
    £80 is a lot. Basically £30 for the extra stuff. Out of stock anyway

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The hint for the tunnel is in the manual!
    The giant manual the game came with!
    I'm not sure, does the Nintendo Online version of the game make that manual available?

That "manual" was only available in certain regions. I remember as a kid being annoyed, almost angry, at it. It was ruining the game and my older sibling loved ruining stuff. :(

Avoid that monstrosity of a manual at all costs!

If Smyth's do get the Collector's Edition, it could be €95, at least. £80 on the Nintendo UK store is over €93 converted, plus then there's shipping from the UK. You could be looking at around €100. I don't think the extras are worth it, no way. As I've said, it's nowhere near as nice as the Samus Returns Collector's Edition.
    metroid-samus-returns-legacy-edition.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah I tried replaying the NES metroid a while ago and everything just looks so samey.
    The Zero Mission remake would be the best way to experience it. Of course, that's not too helpful since the only way to play it is on GBA I believe
    It’s still up on the Wii U VC, which is how I experienced it for the first time. You get OG Metroid as an unlockable, if you want to measure to the exact degree the ship-shape job they did remaking it.

Advertisement