Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA Taxi

Options
  • 12-06-2021 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭

Hey, wondering if anybody has experience of using a taxi to transport some furniture from IKEA using a taxi?

Nothing overly huge and would easily fit in a car boot, it just doesn’t feel worth it to pay IKEA’s €50 delivery charge for something that only costs €80. I’d pay extra for the fare but I’m not sure if this is something taxi drivers would even go for or would take a dim view of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why wouldn't they.... Unless it's seriously bulky and going to damage the car...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If you can drive, use a GoCar/Van instead?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Easier to get a taxi id imagine.

Its shopping like anything else, as long as the boxes can fit in the car why would there be a problem? Ring a local taxi company if you are that worried.

Its a paid job to them...

https://www.taxy.ie/ballymun/

Think there even used to be a taxi phone on the right hand side after the checkouts IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ucsie

We tried to do this 3 or 4 years ago and no taxi would come to Ikea, I think we managed to book one via free now (whatever it was called back then), but the driver called to confirm we were in ikea and cancelled on us. We also tried to call a taxi company and we were told they didn't do Ikea. We ended up getting the ikea delivery.

ucsie wrote: »
    We tried to do this 3 or 4 years ago and no taxi would come to Ikea, I think we managed to book one via free now (whatever it was called back then), but the driver called to confirm we were in ikea and cancelled on us. We also tried to call a taxi company and we were told they didn't do Ikea. We ended up getting the ikea delivery.

Odd, the OP should ring a local taxi office and see what the story is now. Alternatively there's a Dublin bus terminus outside...get the bus back into town with the shopping and get off after a few stops and hail a taxi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

+1 to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Why wouldn't they.... Unless it's seriously bulky and going to damage the car...

That's the thing. I doubt a taxi driver will carry anything larger or heavier than a suitcase.
    Flat packs across the back seats is probably a no.

I'd be worried about damaging the seats.

Just get IKEA to deliver

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Thanks for all the replies folks. Still has me on the fence over whether to chance being left stranded at the checkout or not!

I don’t drive hence the question and I’ve heard anecdotal evidence before of taxis not wanting to transport people and their flat pack goods before so wanted to see if there was a wider consensus on it or not.

For the record I only have plans to buy a chest of drawers but they aren’t worth much more than the cost IKEA add on for delivery so would rather avoid and pay a taxi driver a little extra if possible.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies folks. Still has me on the fence over whether to chance being left stranded at the checkout or not!

I don’t drive hence the question and I’ve heard anecdotal evidence before of taxis not wanting to transport people and their flat pack goods before so wanted to see if there was a wider consensus on it or not.

For the record I only have plans to buy a chest of drawers but they aren’t worth much more than the cost IKEA add on for delivery so would rather avoid and pay a taxi driver a little extra if possible.

Did you ring a local taxi company instead of guessing if they'll take you on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

I’m not a taxi driver but I’d imagine they’re worried about accepting a booking, the customer ends up having a box about the same dimensions as IKEA itself, the driver spends fifteen minutes dropping seats and squeezing the box into the car in a safe way (not the way most of us would accept if we were loading it into own cars), the customer gets in and is aghast that the meter is already showing €10 and gets shirty about it. And then you have to repeat the process at the other end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Can you prebook one of the wheelchair accessible van types from a local taxi company?
    No messing with dropping seats, just slide it in on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Polar101

ucsie wrote: »

That never even occured to me, but it makes sense now. A couple of years ago me and a colleague tried to get a taxi (using an app) from Ikea to go to work, but it took ages to get one. We didn't have any Ikea boxes with us, but the location must have been the reason.

Advertisement