Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scam?

Options
  • 15-01-2020 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have an item for sale on Done Deal and Adverts.ie, I received a text today from someone who was interested with a link to an email address,I answered the query by email, my email was answered and the buyer wanted to purchase my item, she said she lived in Bulgaria but would cover all postage and Paypal expenses, she then requested I send my paypal email,my phone number and the total cost. does this sound like a scam?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

glaswegian wrote: »
    Hi, I have an item for sale on Done Deal and Adverts.ie, I received a text today from someone who was interested with a link to an email address,I answered the query by email, my email was answered and the buyer wanted to purchase my item, she said she lived in Bulgaria but would cover all postage and Paypal expenses, she then requested I send my paypal email,my phone number and the total cost. does this sound like a scam?

Oh Honey...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_QdPW8JrYzQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

You must have the most unusual item in Europe for someone in Bulgaria (Lowest average income in the eu - less than a quarter of Irish incomes) to want top buy it so much that they will pay all fees, all charges and not even haggle a discount.

My uncle in Nigeria would like to chat to you about an investment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭glaswegian

silver2020 wrote: »
    You must have the most unusual item in Europe for someone in Bulgaria (Lowest average income in the eu - less than a quarter of Irish incomes) to want top buy it so much that they will pay all fees, all charges and not even haggle a discount.

My uncle in Nigeria would like to chat to you about an investment :D

I haven’t a notion about any of that, I can only tell you what was in the email. I didn’t give out any information re PayPal account .

P.S. tell your uncle I’ll be in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,835 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Avoid like the plague

muffler wrote: »
    Avoid like the plague
    Have already.
    On the subject,she/he wouldn’t be able to get access to my PayPal account with my email address ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Have already.
    On the subject,she/he wouldn’t be able to get access to my PayPal account with my email address ?

Unless your password is 12345.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

glaswegian wrote:
    Have already. On the subject,she/he wouldn’t be able to get access to my PayPal account with my email address ?

No, but will pay you and then open dispute which you have no chance to win. You will have no item and no money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

If your ad is on adverts, they cannot contact you unless you accept an offer (unless it is a car ad).

If you accepted an offer on adverts, click report and let them look at it. If it was donedeal, your number is public so nothing can be done.

Would be fairly sure it is a scam anyway. Just ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,835 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Have already.
    Doubtful but having an email address is a starting point for these scammers.

I would suggest you change your password for your PayPal account sooner rather than later and consider using a different email account for correspondence when dealing with people online. If you dont already have a second email account then create a new one. You could also use a throw away email account

Thanks all for your input, i'm in the process of changing my paypal email address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 ScamAtak

You have to be sop careful who you deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LMHC

You've also a cousin you don't know about and guess what his father is a king in Nigeria but he has passed away and left your cousin a load of cash. All he needs is.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement