Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Recovery / directory tree

Options
  • 22-05-2021 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have a hard disk that stopped working on me a while back and I'm just getting around to try save it now. I'm not sure what happened to it exactly but windows wont read it anymore.

If I try access the hd from windows it tells me the format is RAW or says there's a hardware error. I can still hear it spinning (albeit it clicks a little bit but i can be read).

I used Recuva and it acutally did save quite a lot of the old pics and videos but I'm running into a problem:

1. When I try do a "deep scan", it works for a while and then freezes on 20%. It will initially say maybe 3 hours left when it gets to 20% but then just stays at 20% for hours and the estimated time actually just keeps creeping up. I ran it overnight last night and when I woke up it was at 20% and said 2 days left. Any ideas?

2. There are a few DLL files that I would like to get back (guitar software) that are somewhere in the Windows>System folder (I think I would know them if I saw them) but Recuva doesn't really seem to have a targeted search option, any ideas for that?

Ideally for problem number 2, I would like to be able to see a directoy tree of the drive and then I will know the folder to target but I can't remember the file names off hand so I would need to just browse through a directory tree to find it. The CMD "tree" command won't work because it can't read the drive but if Recuva can find lots of my media then surely there is some program out there that can show me the directory tree and grab one folder with some DLL files in it for me?

Hopefully this is in the right place.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if all else fails ddrescue to scrape the 1's and 0's and then photorec to extract the files from the blob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Try Ease US Data Recovery Wizard

Advertisement