Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Install linux on mp3 player

Options
  • 04-09-2019 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭

i have an old mp3 player ,it requires windows xp,to use the music transfer software .
    I read on a linux forum ,you can install linux on this philips mp3 player ,in order to use it on a modern pc.
    this will enable drag and drop transfer of music on the player.
    Can i use a mint linux live cd, to
    download the software and install it
    on the drive,
    It has a 20gig hard drive.

it will appear to a linux os as drive d or e , an external drive .
    I,d prefer not to install linux on my pc .
    My pc has windows 7.
    I downloaded the philips music transfer app, it does not run on windows 7.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Ben Done

riclad wrote: »
    i have an old mp3 player ,it requires windows xp,to use the music transfer software .
    I read on a linux forum ,you can install linux on this philips mp3 player ,in order to use it on a modern pc.
    this will enable drag and drop transfer of music on the player.
    Can i use a mint linux live cd, to
    download the software and install it
    on the drive,
    It has a 20gig hard drive.

it will apapear to a linux os as drive d or e .external drive .
    I,d prefer not to install linux on my pc .
    My pc has windows 7.
    I downloaded the philips music transfer app, it does not run on windows 7.

Try https://www.rockbox.org/
    Seems it runs on some Philips players..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

If you could install linux wouldn't that just overwrite the mp3 player software thereby rendering it useless in that regard. Wouldn't you basically have a tiny linus PC would no practical way of navigating it?
    Have you tried installing the xp software in compatibility mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

Make sure you have MTP turned on. I suggest the use of Total Commander since it handles mtp devices better than windows file manager.

Press F3 to double pane and you can easily drag and drop.

It should also be noted that linux doesn't assign drive letters such as D: or E:

Linux assigns externals drives using /dev/sdX where X is a letter, but this can be more than 26 letters if this became an issue for example, your 27th drive mounted may be assigned /dev/sdaa

These are assigned whether the drive is internal or external.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

mordeith wrote: »
    If you could install linux wouldn't that just overwrite the mp3 player software thereby rendering it useless in that regard. Wouldn't you basically have a tiny linus PC would no practical way of navigating it?
    Have you tried installing the xp software in compatibility mode?

No its a OS for MP3 players. Used to be popular on HeadFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KristPom

Why don't you listen to music from your phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i bought a new music player, i listen to music on my phone too. its just its handy to put a 100 songs on a podcast player , i listen to them when i go to sleep or to the shops .i think podcasts players are handy for running etc rather than using a phone all the time

Advertisement