13-01-2021, 13:09   #1
81r2

ECCO shoes, and then possible menswear bargain

My go to shoe is an ECCO Track. A Gore-Tex waterproof shoe. Sometimes discounted by 20%-30% in my experience. Spotted an Irish menswear shop offering this shoe at a 50% discount. Ordered a pair, delivered 3 days later by DPD. Happy out.
Shop has plenty of other brands discounted by 50% in their other sections. However I'm only familiar with ECCO and feel the shoe is a bargain.

https://www.lavinsmenswear.com/c/foo...130/perpage_24

Last edited by 81r2; 13-01-2021 at 13:09. Reason: Forgot link
Advertisement
13-01-2021, 13:51   #2
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81r2 View Post
My go to shoe is an ECCO Track. A Gore-Tex waterproof shoe. Sometimes discounted by 20%-30% in my experience. Spotted an Irish menswear shop offering this shoe at a 50% discount. Ordered a pair, delivered 3 days later by DPD. Happy out.
Shop has plenty of other brands discounted by 50% in their other sections. However I'm only familiar with ECCO and feel the shoe is a bargain.

https://www.lavinsmenswear.com/c/foo...130/perpage_24
Had 2 pairs similar to these, didn't last as long as I'd hoped(goretex track)
(3) thanks from:
13-01-2021, 14:16   #3
Zimmerframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by corks finest View Post
Had 2 pairs similar to these, didn't last as long as I'd hoped(goretex track)
Not dissing the OP's bargain, thanks m8, I was a huge Ecco fan myself, until recently.

I had a pair of Gortex boots and liked them so much I bought another pair to keep as a spare set.

The sole disintegrated on the pair I was wearing, and I wasn't too impressed, but I assumed I must have walked through acid or diesel or somesubstance as they were in mush.
I went to the cupboard and stuck on my shiny new pair, straight from the box.(although maybe 2 years since purchase)
Noticed the next day, my feet wet and looked at the disintegrated soles and thought I had put on the old ones, but alas no, the unworn pair had disintegrated in exactly the same way.

Seems I was not alone.

Ecco, never again.

Last edited by Zimmerframe; 13-01-2021 at 14:21.
13-01-2021, 14:23   #4
SheroP

Fair play thanks for heads up
Sadly very limited sizes
Personally I think they are a great brand with no problems
Wearing ecco for 30: years
(3) thanks from:
13-01-2021, 15:02   #5
Saint_Mel

Have seen similar issue ... gave someone a lift one day and noticed after they got out that the floor of the car was destroyed with something all crumbled up. Chatting the same person the next day and the soles of their shoes were in tatters!
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-01-2021, 16:04   #6
kneemos

Was going to buy a pair of ECCO waterproof,fed up with getting wet feet. Glad I didn't now,got a pair of Columbia instead.

Still waiting though,thanks Amazon.
(2) thanks from:
13-01-2021, 16:10   #7
Garlinge

Same issue with me in that soles split. I think it is the nature of the material, like a rubber, to deteriorate with age rather than use/wear. I had identical pair in another location, only used when there but soles went the same way tho little used.
13-01-2021, 17:42   #8
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlinge View Post
Same issue with me in that soles split. I think it is the nature of the material, like a rubber, to deteriorate with age rather than use/wear. I had identical pair in another location, only used when there but soles went the same way tho little used.
Got 2 decent pairs of runner type regatta waterproof hiking boots, really good, and my best pair are Berghaus - fully w proof and I use them daily up the cliff walk muddy and wet
(2) thanks from:
13-01-2021, 17:49   #9
Peig Sayers

Same thing happened to me with a pair of ECCO boots. Completely disintegrated. Problem was I was wearing them in the snow in Sweden at the time and only had that pair with me. Had to buy a pair in a charity shop there!
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-01-2021, 18:01   #10
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peig Sayers View Post
Same thing happened to me with a pair of ECCO boots. Completely disintegrated. Problem was I was wearing them in the snow in Sweden at the time and only had that pair with me. Had to buy a pair in a charity shop there!
They've obviously changed source of leather or outsourced production in the last few years, product had a good reputation
Thanks from:
13-01-2021, 19:13   #11
snoopsheep

Had a pair for two years and i walked them to stubs, brilliant shoes.

Got a subsequent pair a few months back, and no issues yet i must say
13-01-2021, 19:41   #12
Peig Sayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by corks finest View Post
They've obviously changed source of leather or outsourced production in the last few years, product had a good reputation
It wasn't the leather, the uppers were perfect. It was the sole that crumbled. Wouldn't mind but they were quite expensive. Only pair that ever disintegrated!
(3) thanks from:
13-01-2021, 20:53   #13
Garlinge

Same calamity with me, soaked thru on way to an event then sat in bare feet as socks wet thru and shops closed by time to walk home again... and no rads on to dry off what with fancy underfloor heating?
(2) thanks from:
13-01-2021, 22:10   #14
jamesd

Thank you OP, got my ECCO work shoes for €55 delivered and normally the lowest I'd ever get them is €90 in a sale.
13-01-2021, 22:12   #15
Rows Grower

Wore nothing else for about twenty years but noticed a distinct change in quality standards about ten years ago, nothing remotely like what they used to be.

I often had pairs of Ecco for well over five years, they went from going out shoes to working shoes to they'll be grand outside in the garden shoes. They seemed to get more comfortable the older they got. The last two pairs I got didn't last pi**ing time, wore one pair walking the dogs on the beach and they literally fell apart the next day.

I found Henly to be a good brand since and for very good comfortable boots that will take all punishment the military spec Altberg are hard to beat.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion