Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Credit Union loan

Options
  • 28-02-2020 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Looking for a bit of advice.I have a credit union loan for 40000 euro taken out for 10 years costing me 500 euro a month for home improvements have 13 months paid on it . I have no mortgage on my house which would be valued at approx 300000 euro . Would I be better remortgaging my house with a bank would my repayments work out cheaper in the long run .I know credit union interest rate is high but it was the fastest way I could get the money when I needed it .??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Short answer is, yes, absolutely, the interest on a mortgage would be far cheaper and save you significant money. Just a quick go at the AIB online mortgage calculator indicates you would only be paying €388 per month with them. That's €112 per month in your pocket (or stick with the €500 per month and get it paid off earlier)

However, as it is a very small mortgage, the legal costs will eat in to that saving in a far bigger way. However, you would still save a significant chunk of cash over the life of the loan.

However you should not that some banks may not be too bothered with a 40K mortgage (very little in it for them), but you should be fine.

Advertisement