Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post - destroying items.

Options
  • 20-02-2020 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

So I've read a thread or two about An Post's highly trained and completely human staff bending and breaking items in delivery.
    On most off those posts the wise heads here seem to blame the vendor on the grounds of incorrect packaging.
    My wife runs a micro business, she basically makes small personalised artwork pieces which she sells via a social media page.
    About 2 out of every 5 pieces arrive damaged. We're talking about pieces in frames with glass, which cost 30 to 70 euro.
    She wraps them in Styrofoam sheeting, then in bubble wrap and then in hard cardboard. She puts "fragile" tape all over the outside and writes "handmade artwork, please handle with care" on the outside.
    What more can she do? Most customers won't pay the cost of registered post and why would the animals - sorry highly trained totally human staff treat registered mail any differently?
    These items are arriving like they've been jumped on with boots.
    Anyone found a solution to this?

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Use perspex instead of glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,310 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Packrat wrote: »
    So I've read a thread or two about An Post's highly trained and completely human staff bending and breaking items in delivery.
    On most off those posts the wise heads here seem to blame the vendor on the grounds of incorrect packaging.
    My wife runs a micro business, she basically makes small personalised artwork pieces which she sells via a social media page.
    About 2 out of every 5 pieces arrive damaged. We're talking about pieces in frames with glass, which cost 30 to 70 euro.
    She wraps them in Styrofoam sheeting, then in bubble wrap and then in hard cardboard. She puts "fragile" tape all over the outside and writes "handmade artwork, please handle with care" on the outside.
    What more can she do? Most customers won't pay the cost of registered post and why would the animals - sorry highly trained totally human staff treat registered mail any differently?

Change your packaging. And find a better way of wrapping it.

Look at use a plastic instead of glass.

Does she do this;

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/m.wikihow.com/Pack-Picture-Frames-for-Shipping?amp=1

Or this.

https://www.diplomaframe.com/chc-blog/shipping-frames-with-glass/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Don't use An Post, plenty of other carriers out there if your not happy with their service. Or better packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

Maybe tone down your abusive tones aimed at a whole group of An Post staff, and direct your concerns to their customer service department, who may or may not be able to advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Simple - don't use glass.

Picture frame glass is extremely fragile and simply not suitable for standard parcel delivery by an post or any service.

If you have to send it, I would ensure it is packed flat with glass facing up and well bubble wrapped and Styrofoam or similar beneath and above the frame and the box must be a double wall box.

But look at alternatives including a frame that does not have glass, or as above a perspex front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Unfortunately op i come across this as a consumer all the time where product paid for by myself is handled like it's rubbish, usually by careless staff who don't give a toss.

very little care of others property out there nowadays. all one needs do to see a example of this is the checkout area of a supermarket and watch some staff toss your shopping down at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TheyDidWhat?!

Build the cost of registered post into the price of her pieces?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Packrat

Allinall wrote: »
    Maybe tone down your abusive tones aimed at a whole group of An Post staff, and direct your concerns to their customer service department, who may or may not be able to advise.

Maybe that will help, maybe she already tried that, maybe they can't or won't, maybe I'm right, maybe you work for them and are offended,...
    Who knows..

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Packrat

To those of you who tried to be helpful, its not only the glass which gets broken, - wooden frames are pulverized, - the packages look like they've been stamped on.
    Building the cost of registered post into the price isn't really possible, it's a pretty cutthroat market.
    Ironically, pieces sent to Britain or to North America seem to arrive ok, it's our own domestic handlers that seem to get a sick kick out of breaking things.
    Interesting to note that whilst I described in detail the packaging, - some people still think that this is the problem....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

Maybe that will help, maybe she already tried that, maybe they can't or won't, maybe I'm right, maybe you work for them and are offended,...
    Who knows..

Did she try that?

I don’t work for An Post.

• Advertisement

To those of you who tried to be helpful, its not only the glass which gets broken, - wooden frames are pulverized, - the packages look like they've been stamped on.
    Building the cost of registered post into the price isn't really possible, it's a pretty cutthroat market.
    Ironically, pieces sent to Britain or to North America seem to arrive ok, it's our own domestic handlers that seem to get a sick kick out of breaking things.
    Interesting to note that whilst I described in detail the packaging, - some people still think that this is the problem....

I'll bet it's the packaging.

A family member operates an online store and sends a lot of glass items and rarely has breakages. They use an post.

I know that the quantity is in the thousands and they worked hard to get the packaging right, but once it was right, it allowed huge growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

An Post deliver 1000s of packets everyday , they dont have time to read fragile handle with care notes on the packets.

There obviously will be a fair bit of manhandling involved in moving that amount of items all over Ireland and further afield.

As a Postmaster who sees the way that some packets are packed Im amazed that they get there at all sometimes, as there is no effort to secure the contents properly.

I have also had an online shop and never had an issue with damaged items.

If 40% of your items are being damaged I would respectfully suggest that you try and improve the way the items are packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Blazedup

Has she a VAT number?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

First of all - this isn’t a consumer issue - the OP is talking about a business transaction.

Have you spoke to AnPost to set up a business account? If not you should be - you can then discuss packing options / delivery methods etc.

By the sounds of it you are using the generic postal system as this is cheaper than commercial shipping - so if your business can’t sustain the costs of proper logistics it would make me question the viability of the business as a whole — although loosing up to 40% of domestically shipped items would have a business in the gutter pretty quick also

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭PreCocious

Do '"our own domestic handlers" not handle the products on their way from you to abroad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Blazedup wrote: »
    Has she a VAT number?

what diference does that make

what diference does that make

I'd assume it's because vat can be reclaimed on parcel delivery services.

Standard Postage under 2kg by an post has zero vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Darc19 wrote: »
    I'd assume it's because vat can be reclaimed on parcel delivery services.

Standard Postage under 2kg by an post has zero vat.

The people she's selling to won't pay for correct postage and the seller isn't paying for correct packaging. It's nothing to do with An Post the OPs business process is flawed.

I've got fragile stuff delivered by An Post from all over the world with zero issues yet the OP is losing 40% due to damage in transit, the issue isn't with An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,908 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

No one likes to hear that it's their own fault but it is up to you to ensure that it's wrapped in such a way that it can't be damaged. You should see some of the parcels I receive. Huge oversized boxes & my item protected by by plastic filled with air or sometimes tons of paper around it. Not great for the environment but it gets my goods to me in one piece

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

Boxes OP.
    You need to place them in boxes with insulation inside.

Find a box supplier, e.g. All pack in Sandyford.
    They do a large range of sizes.

An Post deliver Amazon purchased items to me weekly & I've not had problems.
    Correct your process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Box stuffed with old newspapers?

🙈🙉🙊

Advertisement