Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken 00 at €4.90 for 330 ml An Nead

Options
  • 08-07-2019 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭

Title says it all.

I was charged €4.90 for a 330 ml bottle of Heineken 00 in An Nead Spiddal, Galway

This is equivalent to €8.43 per pint (568 ml)

And it is worth remembering that this is free of excise duty. An equivalent 5%

Is this a record for a non alcoholic beer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

First I checked was bull & castle, as they have price lists up which many do not (for obvious reasons!)

fiver a bottle, I thought it might be more.

https://www.fxbuckley.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/BC-003-Drinks-Downstairs-Jun.pdf

€4.90 works out €2.97 per 200ml which is the regular size for non alcoholic soft drinks. Ridiculous prices but they do not surprise me.

Though there is no exicse the beers usually cost more to produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Excise duty on a 330ml bottle of beer is about 30c if it's a 5% abv.
    All other costs are the same for the pub, so if there's 30-40c difference on other bottles, that's about r.

Still expensive though.

In tesco you get 20 bottles of 4.3% heineken for €22 at the moment, not a particularly good price.

Heineken NA is on offer 4 bottles for €6. 6 regular bottles is €11 and it still puzzles me how they sell so many of these, quite a few on the shelves anyway.

My mate worked in a pub who bought front supermarkets & centra, was far cheaper than wholesale prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

rubadub wrote: »
    First I checked was bull & castle, as they have price lists up which many do not (for obvious reasons!)

fiver a bottle, I thought it might be more.

https://www.fxbuckley.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/BC-003-Drinks-Downstairs-Jun.pdf

€4.90 works out €2.97 per 200ml which is the regular size for non alcoholic soft drinks. Ridiculous prices but they do not surprise me.

Though there is no exicse the beers usually cost more to produce.

The standard bottle of Coke is 330 ml and in your linked price list the cost is €3.00

A pint of beer in your price list is more than the bottle of Heineken 00. In my case it cost 75 c more than a pint (€4.20)

So yes it is a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The €3 Coca Cola is likely to only be 200ml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Interesting to see so many posts justifying this price.

I think the celtic tigers days are very likely back again!

rock22 wrote: »
    Interesting to see so many posts justifying this price
    not sure what you mean by "justify". I said the prices are ridiculous, the 3rd poster said they are expensive, the 4th was confirming how expensive coke (another non alcoholic drink which probably costs far less to produce) is per litre.

The poster asked
    rock22 wrote: »
    Is this a record for a non alcoholic beer?
    The answer is a very definite no. The very first pub I checked (which is not a renowned rip off pub) was more expensive.

I wonder what the real record actually is, I would guess 7.50 in some dublin city centre pub when the late prices come into effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

If pubs sold non alcoholic beers at €2.50, they may find that they'd be busier as in many cases that person is driving and bringing other customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

The best way that this is tackled is through the Dept of Health.

In the same way that the nanny state imposed minimum prices for alcohol, they should by default be imposing a maximum price for non alcoholic beer/wine.

The Vintners Association might not be happy about it, but it is probably the one concession they would give away, and they would have no argument if it came from the policy of dedicated drivers etc.

rubadub wrote: »
    I wonder what the real record actually is, I would guess 7.50 in some dublin city centre pub when the late prices come into effect.
    €6.90 here, but during the day, so I would stand by the €7.50 guess for temple bar type prices.

ffmv1rj49th31.jpg
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/cthhp1/the_horse_show_house_more_like_the_blaydin_holy/

• Advertisement
Advertisement