Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centra Frank and Honest Coffee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

Its not recommended that you refill water bottles . something to do with bugs.
    Think about it though . you pay 2.50 for a spoon of coffee and a drop of water. ..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

2forjoy wrote: »
    Think about it though . you pay 2.50 for a spoon of coffee and a drop of water. ..........

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5671681

Scary stuff - the disposable plastic bottles are very thin and can develop cracks quite easily as most people give them a squeeze.

As for coffee or anything similar, you are paying for the convenience. For me 2.50 is about max for convenience value. Over 2.50 and it needs to offer something else and that can include comfortable seats, newspapers, relaxed surroundings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

you pay €3 for 2 spuds in a chipper, between 4 or 5€ for some processed chicken in a roll.... is there not something to be paid for convenience

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

I wont do that I'm using bidons
    Clean those with hot boiling water before reuse them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

Secret tip: 2 flat whites @€;2.50 each can fit into a large size cup @€;2.80 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Madnash

Too many tight arses in this country.

I agree, I actually don't mind the frank and honest coffee. It's quick it's convenient and it's cheap.

I don't mind the price of it. It's the convenience I like also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Gone are the days of the Nescafe Lioness (going crazy trying to purchase one) and Kenco machines. It's now just hipster coffee brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

I really like this coffee

• Advertisement

Love there coffee and that's all I can say on this due to other people not liking what I say.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Madnash wrote: »
    Love there coffee for the shear convenience and its practical free at 2.80 for a large cup.

We got the point the first time you said this a few days ago. Further posting of this kind is going to lead me to assume you're shilling it.

L1011 wrote: »
    We got the point the first time you said this a few days ago. Further posting of this kind is going to lead me to assume you're shilling it.

Shilling... What does this word mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Shilling... What does this word mean.

I think if you can navigate this forum you can manage to look up shilling in Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

People can be very ratty around here

MaxFlower wrote: »
    I think if you can navigate this forum you can manage to look up shilling in Google.

I think it's just me, I'm the odd one out in here. I myself don't think Ireland is a rip off and I am an avid fianna fail supporter. I didn't come on boards.ie but to boast about what I have or would like to have. Chatting here is not like face to face and people pick me up wrong and I don't seem up to speed on how boards.ie works. I have found people here quite aggressive and seem to get pleasure out of correcting others if words are not used correctly etc, I don't get that. To be honest I don't thing boards.ie is for me. I'm probably to old school.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,138 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Centra ie Musgraves are the ones putting on the squeeze. The shop has to sell almost all Musgrave goods, 90 or 95%. By introducing their own brand they have forced the shops to take it, at a very high price. Now there are rebates for volume but it's killing smaller Centra shops.
    Musgraves saw the high margin on coffee and decided they wanted that for themselves. That's the origin of Frank and Honest.
    Most Centra shops now have little margin on the coffee for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I think it's just me, I'm the odd one out in here. I myself don't think Ireland is a rip off and I am an avid fianna fail supporter. I didn't come on boards.ie but to boast about what I have or would like to have. Chatting here is not like face to face and people pick me up wrong and I don't seem up to speed on how boards.ie works. I have found people here quite aggressive and seem to get pleasure out of correcting others if words are not used correctly etc, I don't get that. To be honest I don't thing boards.ie is for me. I'm probably to old school.

Not sure about the Fianna Fail bit, but, personally, in general, I dont think Ireland is a rip offf either. I think people try to downgrade what it takes to supply goods or a service, not taking into account tradespeople's expertise, expenses, insurance or training, or warranty.

In this case for example, sure its only a spoon of coffee and hot water. How can you charge €2.80? Well, think about all the expenses involved.

These same people expect others though to pay them for whatever they do, but thats not in the spirit of things, is it.

For me, a rip off by definition is when you think you are paying one price and you get charged another. In this case, the coffee is €2.80, buy it or not.

Also, I don't mind the Frank & Honest Coffee, Im not a big coffee drinker, but have bought a couple of them and have no complaints.

I'm thinking of putting my Rheavendors Nescafe Lioness machine out in Thurles town on my porch if I can get a mains and power connection. It won't be Nescafe coffee ( im thinking of putting Aldi/Lidl coffee in it) but it'll be free. The only downside it's a instant freeze dried coffee vending machine.

People are getting ripped off left right and centre. If it hits sales in Thurles town then maybe they'll reduce their prices.

The purchase of a ready made coffee is an optional expenditure, many would term it a luxury, certainly non essential. Therefore, there is the choice of not buying and missing out on very little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I'm thinking of putting my Rheavendors Nescafe Lioness machine out in Thurles town on my porch if I can get a mains and power connection. It won't be Nescafe coffee ( im thinking of putting Aldi/Lidl coffee in it) but it'll be free. The only downside it's a instant freeze dried coffee vending machine.

People are getting ripped off left right and centre. If it hits sales in Thurles town then maybe they'll reduce their prices.

Well make sure you have your insurance sorted. If someone gets (or claims to get) a dose of the trots after your coffee, or burns themself making it, sure you'll have a grand oul claim against you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

In the retail business you have a lot more costs than the machine & the coffee.

Rates - for a 2000 sq ft convenience store in a medium sized town that could be €20,000 - €30,000 a year.

Staff - Even at minimu wage, staff costs are over €12 per hour when holidays and prsi are taken into account.

Food Hygiene regs + records. - Takes a lot of staff time + has costs and even applies to just selling coffee.

Insurance - can be 3-4k for a small food premises

So once you have you haccp cert, registered with HSE, get commercial planning and pay commercial rates (even if giving away free) and then of course public liability insurance, pop you machine out and see how you get on. :)

:D

CeilingFly wrote: »
    In the retail business you have a lot more costs than the machine & the coffee.

Rates - for a 2000 sq ft convenience store in a medium sized town that could be €20,000 - €30,000 a year.

Staff - Even at minimu wage, staff costs are over €12 per hour when holidays and prsi are taken into account.

Food Hygiene regs + records. - Takes a lot of staff time + has costs and even applies to just selling coffee.

Insurance - can be 3-4k for a small food premises

So once you have you haccp cert, registered with HSE, get commercial planning and pay commercial rates (even if giving away free) and then of course public liability insurance, pop you machine out and see how you get on. :)

:D

It's a pub so I'll have to have pretty much all of the above sorted.

There's a shop literally next door charging €2.90 per cup.

A lioness actually cost a lot more to run than a bean/ground coffee machine. You can buy bean/ground coffee in Lidl and Aldi for under €2. 150g bag of Nescafe is currently €6 -€7. The markup they are making on this coffee must be huge. The two Costcutters in Thurles had Lionesses and were €1.30 A cup. They now have hipster coffee and are charging €2.40 a cup.

We all know the mark up on many goods. Your french fries cost you €2.80, 2 potatoes 40C.
    As someone in the trade said, best return is onion rings. 5/6 servings from one large onion, €13/14 from 30c .
    Then every one going to the chip shop is being ripped off.
    Buy your stuff, once a month in Iceland and go home to cook it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

I see Centra have put up the price of Frank and Honest coffee by 10c. It's now 2.60 for a regular coffee. Sneaky...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

UsBus wrote: »
    I see Centra have put up the price of Frank and Honest coffee by 10c. It's now 2.60 for a regular coffee. Sneaky...

If they advertised it as €2.50 and charged your card €2.60 it would be sneaky. As it is, it's just a price increase.

Do Musgraves dictate the retail price?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

anewme wrote: »
    Not sure about the Fianna Fail bit, but, personally, in general, I dont think Ireland is a rip offf either. I think people try to downgrade what it takes to supply goods or a service, not taking into account tradespeople's expertise, expenses, insurance or training, or warranty.

In this case for example, sure its only a spoon of coffee and hot water. How can you charge €2.80? Well, think about all the expenses involved.

These same people expect others though to pay them for whatever they do, but thats not in the spirit of things, is it.

For me, a rip off by definition is when you think you are paying one price and you get charged another. In this case, the coffee is €2.80, buy it or not.

Also, I don't mind the Frank & Honest Coffee, Im not a big coffee drinker, but have bought a couple of them and have no complaints.

Spoon of coffee?

It's not Maxwell House that comes out of these machines

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Water John wrote: »
    Do Musgraves dictate the retail price?

Yes, they spent x amount on branding and marketing the s***e to the masses so they gotta make it back...
    lawred2 wrote: »
    Spoon of coffee?

It's not Maxwell House that comes out of these machines

Indeed its pure s***e that comes out of their machines....

€2.25 for insomnia coffee out of their machines and its 10 times nicer than that frank dishonesty muck...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭deezell

I got a self service vending coffee in Lidl in Bantry for €1. Decent stuff. It's not that long ago that I would get a tea in supervalu near work for 1.40, until I went in one day and the same machine was moved beside the new Rank and Compost deli area, with the prices doubled for a cuppa. Thing is, they lost my custom for the eats as well I was so pissed off.

Advertisement