Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of work the last 7 months

Options
  • 25-02-2020 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

hey all
    i am a Forklift driver and haven't being successful in requiring work for the last 7 months which doesn't look good on my CV

how can i explain this to a recruitment agentcy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Could you say you were abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭bigroad

Tell them you were away backpacking around the world and you had a brilliant time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

You can cover that with any number of reasons but it is unlikely that such a gap will raise any eyebrows.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

bigroad wrote: »
    Tell them you were away backpacking around the world and you had a brilliant time.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Could you say you were abroad?

Because of course recruiters are totally unaware of such a trick and they would not dream of checking it out....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Are you only looking for work as a forklift driver.

You’d be best take work at something and keep searching for your perfect job as you work, the old it’s easier to get a job when your in a job is really true.

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Because of course recruiters are totally unaware of such a trick and they would not dream of checking it out....

Why would they go checking it out? If the guy is capable, qualified and has references and documentation to back that all up then why would anyone care that he has a break in employment for whatever reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You were looking after your auntie who was ... sick. ( deep swallow, mournful look on your face ... )

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You were looking after your auntie who was ... sick. ( deep swallow, mournful look on your face ... )

She needed pallet-ive care.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why... Would a recruiter... Care...

Do you know what recruiter's do......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

A gap in any CV can raise questions. I would imagine a potential employer would want to know why there is a gap in your cv. The recruitment agency will ask but wont care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

colm_mcm wrote: »
    She needed pallet-ive care.
    +1
    Employers appreciate demonstration of transferable skills and/or funny gags.
    Either way you're hired.

Why would they go checking it out? If the guy is capable, qualified and has references and documentation to back that all up then why would anyone care that he has a break in employment for whatever reason?
    listermint wrote: »
    Why... Would a recruiter... Care...

Do you know what recruiter's do......

Gee I don't known, but when I'm recruting people to join my company, I perfer to avoid blatant liars.

You come up with a story about travellig for several months... I'm going to quieston it becasue it is the common execuse used to cover up something in a CV.

Gee I don't known know, but when I'm recruting recruiting people to join my company, I perfer prefer to avoid blatant liars.

You come up with a story about travellig traveling for several months... I'm going to quieston question it becasue because it is the common execuse excuse used to cover up something in a CV.

CVs are about selling yourself. It just looks a little better to say you were traveling rather than you've been out of work, fallen on hard times and haven't been able to find employment as of yet. Almost all CVs are embellished to some degree or another. That is the game and both sides of the table know it and need to play it. I'd love to know how you go about investigating this incredulous claim that someone went off traveling for a few months.

CVs are about selling yourself. It just looks a little better to say you were traveling rather than you've been out of work, fallen on hard times and haven't been able to find employment as of yet. Almost all CVs are embellished to some degree or another. That is the game and both sides of the table know it and need to play it. I'd love to know how you go about investigating this incredulous claim that someone went off traveling for a few months.

There is a very big difference between an embellishment and a blatant lie, you need to learn the difference before you get unmasked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭bigroad

They told me lies so I told them more.That's the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Tell them the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

bigroad wrote: »

Ah dress it up a bit though......Add in that you did have a negative experience in Cambodia where you bought a curry from a street vendor with dirty fingernails and got the retchy scutters for 4 days straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

If you were laid off, then just say that. (Assuming that’s the reason you’re not working at the moment)
    There’s no shame in being unemployed due to redundancy, it’s more believable than a sick relative/travel fib.

Advertisement