Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

apply for Jobseeker's Benefit a few days before becoming unemployed?

Options
  • 28-02-2020 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Can you apply for Jobseeker's Benefit a few days before becoming unemployed?

Just to speed up the process

Thanks

Comments

pjuegos wrote: »

Thanks

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

No.You could however apply for another job straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pjuegos

No.You could however apply for another job straight away.

Of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

pjuegos wrote: »

Thanks

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Guys are ye sure about this?

I walked out of my job on the 14.02.2020 and applied for JB the same day.

I didn't cease my employment or even inform my employer until a week later, and already had the JB approved by then..

Weird how no system was checked to ensure I had actually left the employment.

So yes technically I applied a few days before becoming unemployed on paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Guys are ye sure about this?

I walked out of my job on the 14.02.2020 and applied for JB the same day.

I didn't cease my employment or even inform my employer until a week later, and already had the JB approved by then..

Weird how no system was checked to ensure I had actually left the employment.

So yes technically I applied a few days before becoming unemployed on paper.

You went in and told them that you had left work, because you had left work.
    That’s a totally different situation to walking in to SW and telling them that you will be finishing work next Friday. There’s no comparison .

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

splinter65 wrote: »
    You went in and told them that you had left work, because you had left work.

There's also one big difference between just quitting a job and being let go. Quoting from Citizenship Information website:

"If you leave work voluntarily ... you cannot get a jobseeker's payment for 9 weeks."

If dartboardio's employer didn't even know that he'd quit, he's at risk of hsving defrauded Welfare - unless he fancies paying all that back with interest, I wouldn't be broadcasting it, never mind presenting it as advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Tordelback wrote: »
    There's also one big difference between just quitting a job and being let go. Quoting from Citizenship Information website:

"If you leave work voluntarily ... you cannot get a jobseeker's payment for 9 weeks."

If dartboardio's employer didn't even know that he'd quit, he's at risk of hsving defrauded Welfare - unless he fancies paying all that back with interest, I wouldn't be broadcasting it, never mind presenting it as advice.

Lol.

They don't even stick to their own rules. There was not even one week disqualification for payment.

Advertisement