Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary vehicle?

Options
  • 19-02-2020 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I had a VW camper for a number of years. The stipulation at the time was that I had to have a Primary Vehicle in my own name, insured etc and that the camper was a secondary vehicle, & that was the only way they would insured it. Is this still the case? I want to buy a van, convert it myself & register it as a camper, then drive it as my sole, daily drive vehicle. Is this possible, does anyone know? Or will I fall at the first hurdle, as I'm hearing you can't even insure a van as a private vehicle unless you can prove you are running a business & it will be used for that purpose.. TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭tphase

if you get your converted van classed as a camper, you should be able to insure it as your primary vehicle but it will be about double the price.
    If you are a named driver on someone else's policy, you could declare that as your primary vehicle to avail of the cheaper camper rate for insurance however for that to work, the other person would probably have to be spouse or partner.
    I had a neighbour who did exactly that - he was a named driver on his wife's policy but used the van as a daily driver and continued to do that long after they had split up. The insurance company only asked for proof when he first took out the policy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If you are a trades man you could find it difficult but if you work in an office and can show it's just regular driving to form work shopping.. you will have to pay about 6/700 ish which isn't bad at all considering you save on road tax but you will lose out on MGP too, depends if you get the bus to work it's a nobrainer

Advertisement