Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New car recommendation wanted

Options
  • 03-02-2002 7:18pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

I am going to change my car ASAP, and I am in two minds as to what to buy.

I currently have a 1999 Opel Vectra and under normal circumstances I would go for the same again (This is my third Vectra).
    However, a new model Vectra is coming out around May, but, I cannot/will not wait that long.
    Obviously I could buy a new current model Vectra but that would mean I would be driving an outdated model in just a few months.
    That's not on either.

So, I am looking at other manufacturers models.
    I have whittled my choice down to two:
    Ford Mondeo
    Renault Laguna

Does anyone here drive either of these two vehicles ?
    If so, can I have your honest opinion ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have a much better idea:-

Fiat Punto, '97, 1.1, good condition.

Oh look, I have one right here.....................;) :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

LOL, yes I should go for an older car.
    But seriously, anyone got any serious suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

new Primera? Bit boring but you get loads for your dosh - and you do drive a Vectra :) Mazda 626? I haven't driven the new model but the old one is fun to drive. The brother's Galant is also a bit of alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

I'd consider the new Corolla if I were you. The way used car prices are going, it's a much safer bet than a Vectra at the moment.

But if you have your mind set of either a Mondeo or a Laguna, I'd go for the Mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ohh look a ford......YAWN.

go for a jap car.
    ive got a spare 10 year old micra if you want one :)

• Advertisement

Just to reiterate, I am only considering either a Laguna or a Mondeo.
    No old cars, no small cars, and no Asian cars (not that I have anything against Asian people, I just don't like their cars).

So it seems as if, so far, I have one recommendation for a Mondeo.
    NeRb666, any particular reasons why you suggest the Mondeo ?

Anyone else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

VW Passat

Seems you do a bit of driving or have need for a large car. The VW are alot more reliable than Ford/Renault (Personal Opinion before anyone starts quoting stats and reviews). Nice car good running in both Petro and deisel.

My Vote

VW passat

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Personally i would say the Laguna.. the Mondeo is a ford at the end of the day.. new Laguna is nice and i like Renault!

Originally posted by Samson

So it seems as if, so far, I have one recommendation for a Mondeo.
    NeRb666, any particular reasons why you suggest the Mondeo ?

I think it's a better looking car. I haven't driven either of them though, but the general consesus from various magazines is that the Mondeo is the better car.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Just a couple of questions,

How many passangers would you usually take in the car?
    Where would you be mostly driving the car?
    Do you have a dog?
    Looking for hatch/saloon/estate?
    What is your price range?

The Seat Toldeo is a beaut if you are lookin for a european.

image2p.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

The Mondeo will be more fun to drive and be more roomey. It'll also probably be cheaper to run. The Laguna would be more stylish and would probably have the edge on toys too.
    Originally posted by Samson
    and no Asian cars

I used to hate asian cars too, but they've come a long way baby. Like I said, I've driven an old model Mazda 626 and it was comfortable, fast and fun. It was a tad plasticy and 'orrible looking, but the new one isn't. In general the latest generation of asian cars will be just as good as the europeans on looks and handeling, have more equipment and be cheaper to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

How about the new Fiat Stilo....

Looks good, Lots of extras as standard and a very reasonable price. Not one to rule out methinks.

viking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

does it matter which of these u go for? all much of a muchness and your car will b 1 of 10,000's of identical cars. put on a blindfold and stick a pin in the list

Originally posted by ButcherOfNog
    does it matter which of these u go for? all much of a muchness and your car will b 1 of 10,000's of identical cars. put on a blindfold and stick a pin in the list

That's a great help.

Thanks for your input. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Originally posted by seamus
    I have a much better idea:-

Fiat Punto, '97, 1.1, good condition.

Oh look, I have one right here.....................;) :D

You could give it away and you'd still be €4500 in front. (savings on Insurance that is)
    Hmmm....Scary thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I dunno if this will help or hinder but the Laguna is Jeremy Clarksons choice for best mid-size car, and it was the first to get 5
    stars in the Euro NCAP crash test ratings. The diesel has a six speed box too. Oh and you activate the car with a credit card thingy, well its a talking point...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Originally posted by NeRb666
    I'd consider the new Corolla if I were you. ........

But if you have your mind set of either a Mondeo or a Laguna, I'd go for the Mondeo.

Hmmmmm, Mr Excitement.
    Must be beating the girls off with a big stick.

Really, Corollas & Fords?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I have driven the laguna, and I'd have to say it's nice, its the auld lads car, but he hates it, says at times the back end can be very vague, the mother says the same, he test drove the mondeo too and says it was a better drive but got sick of the local dealer taking ages to even quote a trade in.

the laguna is a very stylish car, esp in super-sport trim. It has a nice interior with lots of toys, it's biggest interior problem is that it's not that big really, sod all rear headroom though, and only a little bit more in the front, and both front seats have stowage trays underneath them that rob a lot of 'toe space' from the rear passengers.

the mondeo looks like a cheap passat imitation (both styled by the same dude) but is supposedly the better drive.

also the laguna 1.6 is quite gutless low down, it needs to be revved a lot.

thats my ramblings. I'd buy the laguna 1.9td 120bhp super sport ifI had the £23k it was costing when I last checked

John

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Originally posted by JohnBoy

I'd buy the laguna 1.9td 120bhp super sport ifI had the £23k
    John

23k on a laguna ....... i give up, i just give up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

After Ford took over Volvo (b*stards) they incorporated Volvo's safty features that's the only reason i'd choose the mondeo.

Of course my choice would be the Volvo C70 Coupé

0301_lunchrides_1_volvoc70.jpg

[edit]its the car the Saint drove in the movie ;)[/edit]

• Advertisement

Nice, very nice. Fuc k the Toledo, Get that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Go for a skoda octavia...VW running gear a good sight cheaper.
    1u2_005.jpg

/me waits for jibes about skoda. :rolleyes:

Noothing wrong with skodas. Fine cars. The only problem is the badge. The octavia is identical to the A4 isn't it?

Originally posted by azezil
    After Ford took over Volvo (b*stards) they incorporated Volvo's safty features that's the only reason i'd choose the mondeo.

Amm in the last round of NCAP tests the mondeo fared quite badly actually

Mondeo Test Results
    The Mondeo tested here was criticised for its unstable body structure and for allowing the driver’s head and chest to hit the steering wheel.

Renault Laguna
    The car body proved extremely stable and provided good protection for occupants. No points were lost in the side impact and only one was deducted for its frontal impact performance
    Originally posted by ButcherOfNog 23k on a laguna ....... i give up, i just give up

What else would you get for the money?
    BMW? Audi? Mercedes?

Just curious, not picking a fight

Originally posted by Clinical Waste

Hmmmmm, Mr Excitement.
    Must be beating the girls off with a big stick.

Really, Corollas & Fords?

Duhhhhh I was talking about the everyday runabout of course. Obviously I have a Ferrari 360 Spider for impressing the ladies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 toloola

The Rover MG is the best. It sporty big and has a bit of power to add to it. I would go for the Rover. Get it in the blue. SWEET COLOUR.

I will have my new car tomorrow, it's a Mondeo Saloon.

fordmondeo01.jpg

This is it.

Enjoy the car,
    Hope you do many happy miles together.

What spec, engine size, goodies did you get?

• Advertisement
Advertisement