Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opel Astra 2013-2016 saloon petrol

• 18-01-2019 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭

These seem like good value.
    Mainly interested in reliability.
    Any issues with them?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's based on the previous generation Astra launched back in late 2009 so your looking at a heavy body with mostly under performing engines. Engines are pretty limited, 1.4 non turbo petrol and 1.3 CDTi are pretty gutless. Feel decent enough in top Elegance trim but it really boils down to what you expect and want from a car. 1.6 CDTi Elegance would be the one to go for. Even though the Irish love small saloons they never took to the Astra saloon so haggle hard on the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

kermitpwee wrote: »
    These seem like good value.
    Mainly interested in reliability.
    Any issues with them?
    Thanks

I'd choose a Renault megane quicker, probably no more expensive either
    Does it need to be a saloon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Just looking for a cheap reliable petrol. Main concern is reliability and good bang for the buck
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭pm.

A newer car isn't necessarily bang for buck. Drop a year or 2 and look at something like a corolla or Mazda 3 petrol for reliable imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,309 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's based on the previous generation Astra launched back in late 2009 so your looking at a heavy body with mostly under performing engines. Engines are pretty limited, 1.4 non turbo petrol and 1.3 CDTi are pretty gutless. Feel decent enough in top Elegance trim but it really boils down to what you expect and want from a car. 1.6 CDTi Elegance would be the one to go for. Even though the Irish love small saloons they never took to the Astra saloon so haggle hard on the price.

Even though the Irish love small saloons they never took to the Astra saloon

Its not a small saloon do its a mid size saloon. A Suzuki SX-4 saloon or a VW Polo saloon were small saloons its not.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

pm. wrote: »
    A newer car isn't necessarily bang for buck. Drop a year or 2 and look at something like a corolla or Mazda 3 petrol for reliable imo
    I had a Corolla I didn't like the seating position and clutch tbh.
    I like the position in the Astra.
    I presume the Astra are unreliable based on your post. I will try a Mazda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

I had a new 1.3 diesel for a couple of months a while back.

I actually liked it. Drove well, was comfy on bad roads, quiet, decent space. High spec ones are a nice place to be.

That generation Astra are heavy though and you’d expect the boggo diesel to be good on fuel but it wasn’t. The 1.4 petrol would be pretty poor I’d imagine. Also the lower powered engines get the M32 gearbox - they can go wrong so do a google.

Got a higher spec and better engined GTC afterwards and didn’t like it as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

AMKC wrote: »
    Even though the Irish love small saloons they never took to the Astra saloon

Its not a small saloon do its a mid size saloon. A Suzuki SX-4 saloon or a VW Polo saloon were small saloons its not.

Anything below the large family segment eg Mondeo, Avensis in saloon form only sells in a handful of European countries and are seen as small. So small saloons are seen as Corolla, Civic, Jetta, Astra, etc. You will rarely see them on the Continent in saloon form but sell well here for the most part.

Advertisement