Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which SUV? And petrol or diesel?

• 30-12-2018 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi folks. looking for a bit of direction please
    Need to change car. recently had an accident and some hip trouble now so friends suggesting I get an SUV as they are easier access.

But which car?? I do only 10k miles a yr, mostly short local trips, 2 miles to work, same to my childrens school, the shops, etc, you get the picture. Maybe once a fortnight I go to Retail outlet or shopping centre, 10 to 15mins on motorway.

so I'm assuming petrol not diesel. My budget e15k to e20k (absolute max) so I can't reach the new hybrids. Also I have a big dog and need good luggage room in boot for visitors I collect from local school with lots of luggage. I am single so only car in house.

So max e20k budget, short trips, 10k miles a year, good boot.........
    (my present car an 07 1.8 petrol and not getting anything on t/in unless its a scrappage deal- I know poss inflated to make it look like you getting a deal)

My thoughts are Tuscon, Sportage or Qashqai (but read bad owner reviews on it)

Any helpful comments gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tucson and Sportage in petrol form are usually only base models. You probably have a wider choice in petrol Qashqai petrol models and spec. The boot space in these crossovers tends to be average though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

None of the cars you mentioned are SUV...they are crossovers, the companies selling try to call them suv but they are not. The boot is bloody tiny on them as well....

That said they are a great car, I had qashqai and my parents had one and they love it

For your mileage I would go PHEV and outlander, I guess you have a home to install a charge point? Most of your driving could be on battery as it will do 30km - 40km on battery, most people would be on the 30km side

It is proper suv as well with huge boot

As well as big boot, they are automatic, a must have is bad hip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Paulapod27 wrote: »
    Hi folks. looking for a bit of direction please
    Need to change car. recently had an accident and some hip trouble now so friends suggesting I get an SUV as they are easier access.

But which car?? I do only 10k miles a yr, mostly short local trips, 2 miles to work, same to my childrens school, the shops, etc, you get the picture. Maybe once a fortnight I go to Retail outlet or shopping centre, 10 to 15mins on motorway.

so I'm assuming petrol not diesel. My budget e15k to e20k (absolute max) so I can't reach the new hybrids. Also I have a big dog and need good luggage room in boot for visitors I collect from local school with lots of luggage. I am single so only car in house.

So max e20k budget, short trips, 10k miles a year, good boot.........
    (my present car an 07 1.8 petrol and not getting anything on t/in unless its a scrappage deal- I know poss inflated to make it look like you getting a deal)

My thoughts are Tuscon, Sportage or Qashqai (but read bad owner reviews on it)

Any helpful comments gratefully received.

What’s a big dog and what restrictions does it impose for you? SUV boots are higher and may be difficult for a dog to get in without assistance. If the dog breed is susceptible to joint damage, you won’t want it jumping down from the boot either. If on seat, think about access etc.

Are you talk or short? A high SUV (such as a real one with good ground clearance) might actually be more difficult for you to get in/out with hip trouble. A crossover such as Qashqai would not have this issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Dillosk412

Plenty of options especially if you look at 2017 cars.

Suzuki vitara is an option with a decent boot and a better option might be the Mitsubishi asx as the cargo space is large with both a low load level and wide opening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Agreed on the Outlander
    High seating, auto, spacious, electric but can run on petrol too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Have an aunt with hip trouble. She finds the slightly higher cars better than normal or crossover.

Driving a golf SV petrol, think auto

Have no idea myself

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Paulapod27

Many thanks for all the replies.
    Apologies, yes crossover not suv.
    I play golf so good boot for clubs and trolley.

I had a hip replacement 7 weeks ago but expect to be more flexible as time goes on. I'm 5ft 8 so should be no trouble getting into one.

Dog is a big labrador, so was going for an estate pre accident but between him and me re access, I think I'm the priority. So crossover for me and a ramp for him.

Outlander is huge, did consider it till I stood beside it.

Many thanks for all the replies.
    Apologies, yes crossover not suv.
    I play golf so good boot for clubs and trolley.

I had a hip replacement 7 weeks ago but expect to be more flexible as time goes on. I'm 5ft 8 so should be no trouble getting into one.

Dog is a big labrador, so was going for an estate pre accident but between him and me re access, I think I'm the priority. So crossover for me and a ramp for him.

Outlander is huge, did consider it till I stood beside it.

Fuel economy would be a major plus for the outlander

You might get an import Niro PHEV from UK which would be ideal if you want a crossover, hard to find but lovely car

You will get older Lexus hybrid crossovers as well so might be worth checking

Also a Kia Niro hybrid knocking around, good car but everyone went the PHEV so they dropped in price, you might get one picked up cheap

All the hybrids and PHEV are automatic which will help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Driving a ford Kuga deisel. Really nice drive.
    UK import in a local garage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The lexus rx400h/450h or Mitsubishi outlander phev are are absolutely your best bet.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-rx450h-low-mileage/20382050 fits the bill spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭rn

Secondhand Subaru xv, outback or foresters? I think they are slightly higher than a car and might work for you and doggie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Your only doing 10k a year so I wouldn't worry about fuel efficiency. Your priorities are comfort, ease of access and dog friendliness. Saving a notional few euro a week on fuel is very much a secondary consideration.

Lantus wrote: »
    Your only doing 10k a year so I wouldn't worry about fuel efficiency. Your priorities are comfort, ease of access and dog friendliness. Saving a notional few euro a week on fuel is very much a secondary consideration.

Take 8ltr/100km which would be average for petrol. So it costs over 1000 euro per year on fuel. Plus tax is cheaper on PHEV

Based on the OP requirement most of their driving could be on electric which would be minimal cost. So fuel alone would be 1k per year.
    Hardly notional?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

How about one of these?
    My wife just bought an 08 version, diesel auto, and its really nice.
    They are roomy inside, and a good size boot.
    Only thing I would criticize is, they have made the rear quarter vision more restricted compared to the model before that again.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-x-trail-2016/20423045

Thanks again.

All worth checking out. Would love a Lexus but it's still E20k for a 2010 car. I'm hoping to come up the years to 2016 it better for e20k.

Scared of diesel and that dpf that might cause trouble with my toe if driving. Also is it not a bad time to buy diesel since it's on the way out? Though yes, not immediately but afraid diesel drivers will start to be punished on tax. Still the dpf worries me more

Outlander does seem the best option but watched videos and its a very different style of driving using the paddles on the wheel to recoup energy to the battery. Plus how must does a charge overnight cost? Everyone says it uses hardly any petrol but how much is the electricity?

Tbh I want trouble free driving in a reliable reasonably economical car.
    Don't we all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Diesel is going nowhere for years and years yet.
    Arguably for your use case you should be looking at a petrol or a hybrid as above as modern diesel cars are not suited to short trips.

However anyone doing long trips and high miles should not be put off buying a diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

If you go slightly over the 20k you'll get an ateca petrol. But few and far between. Might be a few more in new year.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/seat-ateca-1-0-tsi-s-e/20556514

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Have an aunt with hip trouble. She finds the slightly higher cars better than normal or crossover.

Driving a golf SV petrol, think auto

Have no idea myself

Golf SV 1.2 turbo petrol Auto - great car without going SUV. Higher, longer, wider than a Golf. Good size boot as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »

Normally most of these magazine advertisements, sorry articles, are a list of companies who are currently paying to advertise in that magazine/paper

Thanks again.

All worth checking out. Would love a Lexus but it's still E20k for a 2010 car. I'm hoping to come up the years to 2016 it better for e20k.

Scared of diesel and that dpf that might cause trouble with my toe if driving. Also is it not a bad time to buy diesel since it's on the way out? Though yes, not immediately but afraid diesel drivers will start to be punished on tax. Still the dpf worries me more

Outlander does seem the best option but watched videos and its a very different style of driving using the paddles on the wheel to recoup energy to the battery. Plus how must does a charge overnight cost? Everyone says it uses hardly any petrol but how much is the electricity?

Tbh I want trouble free driving in a reliable reasonably economical car.
    Don't we all!

You don’t have to use regen. Happily can drive along and not use it, of course once you get used to it you will use it all the time....it is extremely easy, my car has 4 options and my wife swore she would never use and now swears by it, we can more or less use regen instead of brakes....I’m not sure how strong the setting are on outlander but I would not let it put you off

Some of the others guys know the rates better than me, I made about a 1300 euro saving on diesel with a full electric over 15000km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭ofcork

A Toyota rav 4 might suit diesel only in the last model but Toyota diesels are reliable a good blast for 20 mins or so every few weeks will keep it going fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

ofcork wrote: »
    A Toyota rav 4 might suit diesel only in the last model but Toyota diesels are reliable a good blast for 20 mins or so every few weeks will keep it going fine.

Last model was Hybrid also :)

OP I can only reiterate what's been said before regarding Toyota, Lexus, Kia and Mitsubishi. Only other car is consider is a petrol TSI Skoda Yeti with a DSG gearbox. We've had 2 and found them great. Only issue I could see is a high boot entry for the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Whatever you pic may be worth looking at installing a seat that will allow easier access, one that may turn outward etc

Thanks Moo. I'm only early 50s, bad accident broke hip. So will be 90% back to normal, fingers crossed.

Think crossover will be enough for c me v so going to look at Kia Sportage and Hyundai Tucson tomorrow. Hopefully even a rav4.
    Looks like will have to be diesel as very few petrol available. (none in rav4 or Sportage)

Fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The facelifted version of the previous generation RAV4s used the BMW N47 diesel engine (the one with the timing chain problem). This was introduced at the end of 2015.

Thanks Moo. I'm only early 50s, bad accident broke hip. So will be 90% back to normal, fingers crossed.

Think crossover will be enough for c me v so going to look at Kia Sportage and Hyundai Tucson tomorrow. Hopefully even a rav4.
    Looks like will have to be diesel as very few petrol available. (none in rav4 or Sportage)

Fingers crossed

unless you bring in from UK you will struggle ot get anything in petrol. Remember the years you are buying in 80%+ of car got sold as diesel. Especially crossover. Thankfully that is going the correct way now

Also, I would not rule out a Lexus. I prefer comfort in a car to a number on a plate. Who cares if it is a 2016 when you can buy a beautiful car with a 2014 plate.....

As I said, I would be looking at automatic only as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

Honda hrv petrol?

• Advertisement
Advertisement