Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tow bar to a Mini Cooper?

• 20-08-2018 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi does anyone know how much it costs to add a tow bar, and can one be added to a small car like a mini cooper?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

What would you even intend on towing with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

As long as it's not a Cooper S (with the centre exhaust) then yes, Towbars are available.
    Try malcolms.ie and have a look at the Towbar section to see what's available for your particular Model, Year, etc.
    The MINI's do have a fairly limited Towing Capacity though. The MK1 was rated for 650kg with a Braked Trailer.....which is pretty low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Really its not a suitable car to tow anything except a tiny trailer

Car is too light and you should be afraid of towing with it.

For professional advice ask someone in the trade like Malcolms Caravans in Rathmines who are the Witter agents. They will give you a price and offer some proper advice

• Registered Users Posts: 7 plunkea

Thanks to all for the advice, must check what the towing capacity is!

Seems to be 650kg for most editions , so not even a normal 750kg car trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'd say one of those tiny Erde trailers that Halfords sell.
    Like this:
    347242?w=637&h=403
    Caravans and Ifor Williams I think not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭mr c

depending on what you want to do with it maybe renting a small van from Go Car for would be a better option than fitting a towbar to a mini
    if been used once or twice it would not be cost effective
    yes they can be added but I would guess there is a reason you dont see it much
    the right car for your daily needs and rent every time you need something else i think is something that gocar and the likes of them can be handy for

• Registered Users Posts: 7 plunkea

cheers, yea I think a rental may be the best option, it's for a boat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

plunkea wrote: »

Not many rentals have a towbar. You either need a new car or hobby, sorry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

plunkea wrote: »

You want to tow a boat with a mini?
    Surely you can't be serious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I assume a boat will include launching and retrieval as well as moving the boat?
    If it was a very small light boat like a 12ft aluminium dinghy or similar then it would be OK, but your towing weight is very low and launching and retrieval will tax a mini engine and clutch.
    I would rethink the idea of using it as a towcar personally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

29759290003_large.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

29759290003_large.jpg

Good luck on a steep ramp lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

29759290003_large.jpg

Nicely taken to avoid the important bit. You can't see if it's connected.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I assume a boat will include launching and retrieval as well as moving the boat?
    If it was a very small light boat like a 12ft aluminium dinghy or similar then it would be OK, but your towing weight is very low and launching and retrieval will tax a mini engine and clutch.
    I would rethink the idea of using it as a towcar personally.

8ft inflatable rib and the outboard in the passenger seat morelike , even a trailer for a 12ft boat would be 250kg of the 650kg on its own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

8ft inflatable rib and the outboard in the passenger seat morelike , even a trailer for a 12ft boat would be 250kg of the 650kg on its own.

I have a trailer for a 4.5m rib and I doubt the thing even weighs a full 100

Outboard weighs about 100. I really doubt the hull weighs more than 200. Launched the thing a few times with a 68hp Fabia but that wasn't the best.

Advertisement