Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Matching tyre wear

Options
  • 20-08-2018 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hey guys and girls,

My car is currently getting repaired on an insurance job(I’m the third party), one of the front tyres has been damaged and needs to be replace.

The opposite tyre is at approx 50% or less wear, I want both replaced due to the uneven wear. It seems that generally this would be the recommendation from any reputible tyre shop or garage, is there any data to back this up that I could throw at the insurance company?

Thanks in advance.

Crey86

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Mention it to the assessor, I've often seen them split the difference in cases like this. Certainly worth asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Crey86

Mention it to the assessor, I've often seen them split the difference in cases like this. Certainly worth asking.

Cheers, yeah I’ve asked my mechanic from the outset to include it in his estimates but he left it out based, I’m guessing, on the assumption that they wouldn’t approve it. Trying to get hold now of an assessor(that’s on holiday) that can agree or not to it after the fact. Furious at this, can’t understand why he would try and preempt the decision, and not fight the my corner.
    Ridiculous situation that they wouldn’t just change both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

If the garage suggest it, it's generally shot down by the insurance company as it's seen as a form of "upsell" which to an extent is correct.

I've seen a couple of scenarios like this before though where the owner of the car fights it with the assessor and the insurer will get the tyre tread depth measurement remaining and cover that as percentage cost of a new tyre which is probably fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Crey86

If the garage suggest it, it's generally shot down by the insurance company as it's seen as a form of "upsell" which to an extent is correct.

I've seen a couple of scenarios like this before though where the owner of the car fights it with the assessor and the insurer will get the tyre tread depth measurement remaining and cover that as percentage cost of a new tyre which is probably fair.

That’s bonkers, God forbid something good could come out of my car been off the road for over 3 weeks, not to mention the significant depreciation to the resale value due to it now being a crash repair. :rolleyes:
    I’m not even looking to milk this though, I just want my car back on the road the same as it left it, with an even pair of tyres.
    Thanks for your reponse though it does put a bit of context on the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

An option would be to keep the 50% tyre as a good spare and just buy another yourself. Id be more worried about the wheel being buckled if it got a bang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Crey86 wrote: »
    My car is currently getting repaired on an insurance job(I’m the third party), one of the front tyres has been damaged and needs to be replace.

The opposite tyre is at approx 50% or less wear, I want both replaced due to the uneven wear.

You 'want' both replaced? What is your moral or legal basis for claiming that having two 50% worn tyres before the accident, you should end up with two brand new tyres?

On that basis, why don't you ask for a new car?

Wouldn't the insurance be justified in offering you half the cost of a single new tyre based on the fact that the tyre that was damaged had already given you the value of half what you paid for it?

OK, I can see them giving you a new tyre but asking for the opposite one to be replaced is pushing it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Crey86 wrote: »
    not to mention the significant depreciation to the resale value due to it now being a crash repair. :rolleyes:

The insurance should be paying you for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

coylemj wrote: »
    You 'want' both replaced? What is your moral or legal basis for claiming that having two 50% worn tyres before the accident, you should end up with two brand new tyres?

On that basis, why don't you ask for a new car?

Wouldn't the insurance be justified in offering you half the cost of a single new tyre based on the fact that the tyre that was damaged had already given you the value of half what you paid for it?

OK, I can see them giving you a new tyre but asking for the opposite one to be replaced is pushing it a bit.

I hope you only get those worn horseshoes replaced one at a time on that high horse of yours :p

Advertisement