Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax on used car

Options
  • 07-04-2018 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

I bought a car the other day from Done Deal and it hasn't been taxed since last August. The change of ownership form is going through the system at the moment but how do I get the tax over in my name and also, do I have to pay the arrears? I couldn't get through to my local tax office to get answers to this. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Go online to motor tax and click on pin retrieval. You'll get a pin emailed to you and tax it online. You don't have to pay any arrears

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I bought a car the other day from Done Deal and it hasn't been taxed since last August. The change of ownership form is going through the system at the moment but how do I get the tax over in my name and also, do I have to pay the arrears? I couldn't get through to my local tax office to get answers to this. Thanks.

You pay from date of sale.

You don't pay arears.

You can go online and check if the vlc has gone through on motortax.ie

If you want to drive now you can be fined parking on most pay parking areas and cops could fine or take the car but highly unlikely as you only bought it.

Have proof of sale on you and the fine isn't huge and doesn't carry points.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

You only pay from the 1sr of the month you bought the car,In this case April I presume. You could do it on line or wait until you get the taxbook and the tax it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

taxbook.
    It's gas how we still use old phrases, it's like taping things on sky box.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Thanks for the replies. I dont have a pin number yet to start taxing it where do i get that from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Once ownership transfers to your name you can request a new PIN through the motortax website. All this information is available at motortax.ie.

Advertisement