Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renault Senic - gears

• 31-10-2015 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

I have 03 Renault Senic - and sometimes it can be difficult to get it into 1st gear (and sometimes 2nd) - I also tend to get a bit of grind when I put it into reverse - any ideas on what this is a sign of and what can be done to fix ?

....other gears are all fine.

Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭xlogo

xlogo wrote: »
    I have 03 Renault Senic - and sometimes it can be difficult to get it into 1st gear (and sometimes 2nd) - I also tend to get a bit of grind when I put it into reverse - any ideas on what this is a sign of and what can be done to fix ?

....other gears are all fine.

Ta.

Anybody ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Clutch or gear box.
    Most likely gearbox

Would a gearbox problem be intermittent like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Does switching the engine off and on again help?

Every time I get into the car I switch the engine on and then back off again before I get out - does that answer your question SA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭gavman1

at what point does the clutch start to bite.it its when your foot is very high of the floor then it could be a worn clutch.next time your in the car before you put it in reverse try pumping the clutch peddle a couple of times and see if this does away with the crunch.there are a few possibilities inc nackered syncros in the gear box itself but it could be a simple as air/moisture in the hydrualic clutch line.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I had this problem on my old primera and it was the gearbox. It started intermittent, then one day I was driving home from work and first gear wouldn't go in at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Gearboxes are a known issue in these Renault. But need to rule out clutch first. Easier said than done pumping the clutch a couple of time before engaging 1st or reverse gear if it takes the crunch away then clutch problem if not its most likely gearbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

xlogo wrote: »
    Every time I get into the car I switch the engine on and then back off again before I get out - does that answer your question SA?

Just realized that the question sounded like the one from IT crowd:D

I only asked because I had similiar problem in mine - not sure if you have the new shape or the old one.

When it happened at lights switching the engine off, putting it in 1st and then back in neutral before starting the engine again helped.

Mechanic had a look at the clutch and it seemed ok, diagnosed gearbox on its way out.

Have driven it for 3 more years and it was fine. Had to repeat it once a month maybe. Wasn't that annoying, and due to the age of the car I just let it be.

If it happened more often, like once or twice a day - I would probably fix it as this would drive me nuts.

visual wrote:
    Gearboxes are a known issue in these Renault. But need to rule out clutch first. Easier said than done pumping the clutch a couple of time before engaging 1st or reverse gear if it takes the crunch away then clutch problem if not its most likely gearbox

Pumping the clutch a few times before I go has helped on the crunch - so does it mean the clutch is on it's way out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

Might be an idea to try bleeding out your clutch slave cylinder. Could be air in the hydraulic line that isnt allowing full depression of the clutch pressure plate, thus a crunch when engaging/disengaging gears. This is a definite DIY job, al that is needed is a 10 mm spanner, a length of tube and a suitable container and some DOT4 brake fluid to top up the reservoir.

Advertisement