Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting a job as an NCT tester

Options
  • 02-02-2014 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

How would you go about getting a job as a tester?

Is there certain criteria you need to have in the motor industry first?

All the website gives is an address to send cvs to, but doesn't give much more information.

Anybody got any info on this, cheers.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

You need to be a qualified mechanic first afaik, it's hard work, not joking .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

I was told by a NCT tester that you do not even have to be a mechanic to be a tester.

This is very true but you need to have papers to say that you are ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Bigus wrote: »
    You need to be a qualified mechanic first afaik, it's hard work, not joking .

No disrespect to any nct testers but I wouldn't describe it as hard work, it's clean enough, you are not outside exposed to the elements, you don't have to actually fix anything, just run the car through a procedure. If I was a mechanic, it's somewhere I'd be dropping my cv into

They seem to be tipping away all day, fair enough, but haven't noticed the sweat pumping out of any of them anytime I've been in a centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Id say its constant work but I wouldn't say its hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Id say its constant work but I wouldn't say its hard.

I would imagine that it is just plain tedious more than anything, and thats before you take into account having to deal with the general public! At least as a mechanic there would be some variety in the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

djimi wrote: »
    I would imagine that it is just plain tedious more than anything, and thats before you take into account having to deal with the general public! At least as a mechanic you can tear the knuckles off yourself

Fixed that for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some off-topic/unhelpful posts removed. Please stay on topic (how to qualify for a nct tester job.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Friend of mine is a NCT tester, and I gather it takes a long time to get a permanent position. Hours seem to be quite long, including weekends. Lots of people giving grief about their cars failing.

I would think you'd have to be a trained mechanic. Can't see how you'd be able to spot many of the visual faults without some background.

He claims he doesn't just point at things with a torch, but I don't believe him. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is from one job site for nct centre in Monaghan
    http://ie.indeed.com/jobs?q=Vehicle+Inspector+&l=
    Education skills required:
    Fully Qualifed Motor Mechanic with Full Clean Driving Licence

Please be advised that you must forward your CV along with a covering letter specifying Monaghan test centre, your National Craft Cert in Motor Mechanics (or equivalent) with a copy of your full clean driving license to .....

Advertisement