Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garage scrapped car without permission.

• 11-01-2014 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

A garage got rid of my sister in laws car without her permission. The car was at the garage for 12 months but there was a problem getting the parts and she regularly kept in touch with them. 2 weeks before christmas she found the parts at an affordable price and told them this and gave the go ahead to complete repairs but over Christmas she noticed her car had vanished from the front of the garage. She went in to them this week and they said it was there too long and they sent it for scrap. Has she a case against them ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭aodhan2

was she paying for storage? a car left like that in a garage is taking up space for other cars that would be making money .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from an old thread.

Tbh, it's odd that the garage would scrap someone's car without getting in touch first. Particularly as she gave the go ahead for repairs just before Christmas.

You can't get legal advice on boards but do get in touch with some local legal aid. Depending on value of car she can probably go to small claims court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

What parts take 12 months to source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

how many times had she been asked to remove the car before this?

I'd find it very very strange that any even half decent garage would do something like this. Any guy running a garage would know full well that doing something like this is asking for an incredible headache and possibly leaving themselves open for all kinds of problems unless they had exhausted every last avenue of getting the car removed it just wouldn't be worth it.

All due respect to OP but I don't think these are all the details.

Come to think of it: is it even possible to have a car scrapped (legally) without the logbook?

Shouldn't you normally give the scrapper the logbook? They issue a certificate of destruction and the logbook goes back to Shannon?
    Or did I get that wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Need more info: what age was the car? Make/model and what parts were needed? Where were the parts your sisters sourced? Was your sister going to go and get them and bring them to the garage or did she expect them to do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

aodhan2 wrote: »
    was she paying for storage? a car left like that in a garage is taking up space for other cars that would be making money .

That's fine but surely they should have contacted her first and told either to remove it from their property or they will dispose of it? Are we getting all the facts here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭furmi

HI all and thanks for the replies

It was a Volvo V70 2.4 D5 SE. It was 2005 and diesel.

She used these crowd (foreigners) on 3 occasions for service. No problems and always paid immediately. She was never asked to move the car at any stage and she kept up regular contact. It was a semi automatic transmission and this was where the problem was in the car. The car was outside on gravel and not stored inside and storage charges were never sought or mentioned. She even asked what was the bill to date for ripping the gearbox but was told leave all to the end. She still has the log book and was advised to go the the Gardai which she has since done. She has since found out that she is not alone in this matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Thats dodgy. No way would I let that go.
    If it was a 00 fiesta or something like that, you would say if was pretty worthless with a major fault but an 05, D5 diesel volvo estate would still have significant value once repaired.

mickdw wrote: »
    Thats dodgy. No way would I let that go.
    If it was a 00 fiesta or something like that, you would say if was pretty worthless with a major fault but an 05, D5 diesel volvo estate would still have significant value once repaired.

I think they have took total advantage of her and as she lives alone now. Probably sold it to one of his mates. There now appears to be a criminal element involved so it looks like its going to get very messy.

• Advertisement

furmi wrote: »
    I think they have took total advantage of her and as she lives alone now. Probably sold it to one of his mates. There now appears to be a criminal element involved so it looks like its going to get very messy.

I'm assuming she still has posession of the logbook?
    Sounds like time to get the boys in blue involved.

Sounds to me like that car was broken for parts and they were sold on, no need for a logbook then I'd imagine

bazz26 wrote: »
    Sounds to me like that car was broken for parts and they were sold on, no need for a logbook then I'd imagine

I'd say this is the case. Hopefully , the Gardai may be able to find out something but we now hear that the Gardai raid the place on a regular basis so not good and there was never a hint of anything like this before to prevent what has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

A garage got rid of my sister in laws car without her permission. The car was at the garage for 12 months but there was a problem getting the parts and she regularly kept in touch with them. 2 weeks before christmas she found the parts at an affordable price and told them this and gave the go ahead to complete repairs but over Christmas she noticed her car had vanished from the front of the garage. She went in to them this week and they said it was there too long and they sent it for scrap. Has she a case against them ?

Get on the phone to the Environmental Protection Agency and tell them that these boys illegally scrapped the vehicle and you would like the agency to contact them and find out how the car was disposed of without a tax book.
    Follow up with the Gardai and drop into your local TD for a chat.
    Revenue may pay them a visit also
    A great party organised by you at their place.

Get on the phone to the Environmental Protection Agency and tell them that these boys illegally scrapped the vehicle and you would like the agency to contact them and find out how the car was disposed of without a tax book.
    Follow up with the Gardai and drop into your local TD for a chat.
    Revenue may pay them a visit also
    A great party organised by you at their place.

I don't want to say to much but the Gardai have been great. Lets say the Gardai know them because of an International arrest warrant/ Extradition warrant for the owner of the place. We just learned that today.

Thanks for the update OP.
    It's mindboggling this stuff can happen in this day and age.

As this is now a legal matter I ask everyone to be mindful, don't ask for names etc.

biko wrote: »
    Thanks for the update OP.
    It's mindboggling this stuff can happen in this day and age.

As this is now a legal matter I ask everyone to be mindful, don't ask for names etc.

No intention of mentioning names but everyone needs to be more careful where they leave their hard earned goods. It's a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

Sounds like it was sold, ask the the garage for compensation.

Filibuster wrote: »
    Sounds like it was sold, ask the the garage for compensation.

We will try but from what we are hearing there is little point. Best outcome is if we can find the car or whatever is left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

We will try but from what we are hearing there is little point. Best outcome is if we can find the car or whatever is left.

Unlikely that you will find it.
    Check w tax office and see if any there has been any application to change owner and let them know all the details of the car ie VIN and engine number
    This car will them be red flagged in their system.

• Advertisement

I'd say that car is already in bits making it hard to trace. Either that or broken up and put in a shipping crate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,332 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Doesn't the law protect the garage or business in these circumstances, it's either 3 or 6mts but if you leave something in a business they can dispose of it after said months.
    Don't think there's a crime here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Doesn't the law protect the garage or business in these circumstances, it's either 3 or 6mts but if you leave something in a business they can dispose of it after said months.
    You must really be a drunk monkey.

Don't know but if you were in contact with the garage 2 weeks earlier and offer money and agree for the repairs to be carried out then I doubt it.

Unlikely that you will find it.
    Check w tax office and see if any there has been any application to change owner and let them know all the details of the car ie VIN and engine number
    This car will them be red flagged in their system.

The Gardai have logged it as STOLEN so if anyone has it then they could be in alot of trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Definitely tell gardai and report stolen. Etc.

wonder if it could still be out there on different plates !

I very highly doubt that car was scrapped !

But in the meantime change your garage / mechanic !

Definitely tell gardai and report stolen. Etc.

wonder if it could still be out there on different plates !

I very highly doubt that car was scrapped !

But in the meantime change your garage / mechanic !
    Usually either parted out or stripped out and sent out of the EU in boxes.

I'd wager on the first one tbh. Easiest way of making a quick buck on a car with a dodgy history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

That's when it's an unsolicited gift. Different story.
    Anyway improper scrapping of a car is a crime. According to citizensinformation.ie penalties can go up to ten years imprisonment.

(http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/buying_or_selling_a_vehicle/how_to_dispose_of_an_end_of_life_vehicle.html)

Thanks to everyone on here. Lots of genuine advice and useful avenues to explore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Thanks to everyone on here. Lots of genuine advice and useful avenues to explore.

If I had a spare key for it id carry it around and try it on every car that looked like mine etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭B00056718

Usually either parted out or stripped out and sent out of the EU in boxes.

I'd wager on the first one tbh. Easiest way of making a quick buck on a car with a dodgy history.

This most likely.
    I'm from Latvia and I know that used Volvo parts are in high demand. Same goes for Saab, Audi VW and BMW parts.

I know there are few guys making money in coming over on car transpoter trucks, buying faulty Volvos, BMWs and Saabs and bringing them back to Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine and Russia to be sold in parts.

Didnt know there was such a dark side behind it. Usually they would issue end of life certs from the scrap yards in the eastern European countries in exchange for the logbooks, and the guys would declare their activities to their home revenue office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

My car was unlawfully removed from the drive of my house,crushed and no logbook changed hands,boys in blue said it was a civil matter,it was a 1litre petrol with 64k on it,so in short whether legal or not it can be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,332 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That's when it's an unsolicited gift. Different story.
    Anyway improper scrapping of a car is a crime. According to citizensinformation.ie penalties can go up to ten years imprisonment.

(http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/buying_or_selling_a_vehicle/how_to_dispose_of_an_end_of_life_vehicle.html)

Sale of goods act 1893 gives the garage a lien on the car from my interpretation of the law : Part IV "Rights of Unpaid Seller against the Goods" http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1893/en/act/pub/0071/print.html
    You see in a lot of businesses t's and c's a 90 day time line before your goods are disposed of.
    It would be interesting to see it play out, I'd assume the car was "broken for parts" rather than illegally scrapped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

HI all and thanks for the replies

It was a Volvo V70 2.4 D5 SE. It was 2005 and diesel.

She used these crowd (foreigners) on 3 occasions for service. No problems and always paid immediately. She was never asked to move the car at any stage and she kept up regular contact. It was a semi automatic transmission and this was where the problem was in the car. The car was outside on gravel and not stored inside and storage charges were never sought or mentioned. She even asked what was the bill to date for ripping the gearbox but was told leave all to the end. She still has the log book and was advised to go the the Gardai which she has since done. She has since found out that she is not alone in this matter.

What is the colour and number plate of the car?
    Personally I'd say that car is in the EU somewhere, so I'd check out car websites in the Eastern block countries and see what you find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    My car was unlawfully removed from the drive of my house,crushed and no logbook changed hands,boys in blue said it was a civil matter,it was a 1litre petrol with 64k on it,so in short whether legal or not it can be done

Unlawfully removed by who? How can something that was unlawfully taken from you be a civil matter? :confused:

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    Unlawfully removed by who? How can something that was unlawfully taken from you be a civil matter? :confused:
    Report it stolen, then it is not a civil matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

At the end of the day the car was stolen and its been reported.
    Contact your insurance company and make a claim.
    Unfortunately I can not see you getting the car back at this stage.
    Scumbags!!

Update

What appears to be the engine and gearbox of the car has been recovered from these guys premises by Gardai today but the rest of the car is still missing. Someone has alot of questions to answer I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There was something similar , documented on another forum iirc of some girls impreza ( I think) a few year back that went missing and was found about 3/4's dismantled in a garage near the spawell.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

There was something similar , documented on another forum iirc of some girls impreza ( I think) a few year back that went missing and was found about 3/4's dismantled in a garage near the spawell.

I think it was a white evo4 iirc. The pics and all were on the forum, Ill try find a link :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

http://www.irishcruisers.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-8569.html

This is one link i found, DTDIrl is where all the pics and all are :)

Update

What appears to be the engine and gearbox of the car has been recovered from these guys premises by Gardai today but the rest of the car is still missing. Someone has alot of questions to answer I'd say.

Do you know if they have been arrested? Glad to see the police have taken it seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

djimi wrote: »

I didnt give permission for it to ve removed,a family member did but they weren't the owners of the property therefore had no right to seek its removal,the owner of the property now deceased was fine with it,called the gardai who said that its a civil matter,sure who am i to question a garda

bear1 wrote: »
    Do you know if they have been arrested? Glad to see the police have taken it seriously

Yes in custody as we speak but the less said about that for now the better.

Yes in custody as we speak but the less said about that for now the better.

Of course, at least some good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Happened to lad here on boards too.
    His classic Merc got lifted and was found stripped down

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056809023

Some right feckers out there.

Hi all

It's over 2 weeks now since some of the parts of the car were recovered. The garage has not opened since and the owner appears to have skipped town. At least one other customer of this place is in the same boat and has a car also missing.

Thanks for the update.

Mad stuff altogether.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is the car insured? Just declare it stolen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,478 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It effectively was stolen wasnt it? Did they break it for parts? A 05 volvo would still be worth a few quid, even more to break it up and ship it off to eastern Europe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement