Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT tomorrow but lost my licence

• 16-11-2015 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi - Can I still get my car NCT'd without my licence if I produce the certificate of ownership? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Do you need a license to get an NCT done? I've never produced mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

You need photo id, got a passport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

smash wrote: »
    Do you need a license to get an NCT done? I've never produced mine.

Strictly-speaking, you need to produce photographic ID. Some centres ask for it it, some don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Guffy

They won't give you the cert if you pass without one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Worst case, you pass and they won't issue the cert until you return with license/passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

just get someone with a licence to go with you to book the car in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Rippy wrote: »
    You need photo id, got a passport?

Both Cork centres insist on it . everytiime. Had to leave the cert. there to be collected another day on a couple of occasions

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Shan_14

My passport is out of date by one month, but might chance my arm. I have other photo ID that might work. The reminder text states that you need ownership documents and driver's licence. Other option would be to get someone to NCT the car for me. Cheers for replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,463 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just bring a friend who has a driving licence or passport with you to the centre. Friend goes up and hands over the reg cert, keys and their licence. Job done.

On a side note, you kinda need a driving licence to drive to the NCT place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Ask anyone sitting in waiting area to act as your companion and show their photo ID if you haven't one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,463 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

joujoujou wrote: »
    Ask anyone sitting in waiting area to act as your companion and show their photo ID if you haven't one.
    Alot of people wouldnt do that, thinking it was some form of scam etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Alot of people would.

And asking won't cost a penny. :cool:

I've booked an appointment to get a new licence. Hopefully will get away with it, but i'll ask someone there to give me a dig out if i'm stuck!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Shan_14 wrote: »
    I've booked an appointment to get a new licence. Hopefully will get away with it, but i'll ask someone there to give me a dig out if i'm stuck!!!

With all the cloned cars that are out there, I'd be very wary if someone came up to me in an NCT centre and asked me to use my driving licence or passport to submit a car for a test. I'd see it as an attempt on their part to avoid being associated with a dodgy car in case the cops later came asking the NCT people for details of the last person to bring it in for the test. No thanks.

There's nothing on the NCT website that says it's the registered owner who has to bring it in for the test, they just refer to 'the person who brings the car for inspection ...' so why don't you ask a member of the family or a friend to bring it in?

Please ensure the person who brings the car for inspection brings identification with them in the form of a driving licence as failure to provide the required identification will result in the vehicle not being issued an NCT certificate at the time of testing.

http://www.ncts.ie/q13.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭homingbird

You might have to redo the driving test as a neighbor of mine lost hers & was going around with L up on the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

homingbird wrote: »
    You might have to redo the driving test as a neighbor of mine lost hers & was going around with L up on the car.

You'd need to let your licence expire and 10 years to elapse before that would happen. Chances are that your neighbour never passed her test in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

My passport is out of date by one month, but might chance my arm. I have other photo ID that might work. The reminder text states that you need ownership documents and driver's licence. Other option would be to get someone to NCT the car for me. Cheers for replies

They won't accept anything else than driving license or passport.
    I once tried to NCT my car when my licence was left with motortax office for exchange, and as I didn't held a passport I was unable to NCT my own car.
    I had to ask someone else (a stranger) to do it for me.
    Nuts.

They only asked for identification so my expired passport did the trick - pity it didnt pass though ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

never given them my licence as I dont have one

never brought a passport either.

guess ive just been lucky

Advertisement