Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replaced engine. Do I need to inform insurance?

• 15-11-2015 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi all,

I've just had to replace the 1.9L engine in my car. 1.9L also but the model number is different. Do I need to inform my insurance company? Is it worth the hassle/money of getting the log book changed? It wasn't done by a main dealer but I can get a letter from the mechanic if needs be.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi all,

I've just had to replace the 1.9L engine in my car. 1.9L also but the model number is different. Do I need to inform my insurance company? Is it worth the hassle/money of getting the log book changed? It wasn't done by a main dealer but I can get a letter from the mechanic if needs be.

Cheers

Yes and yes, you've made a significant material change to the car so the insurance could easily invalidate anything above 3rd party cover and can theoretically come after you for any payments to the 3rd party. Will also bring hassle if you are selling.
    You'll most likely need an engineers report if not done by a main dealer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Oh lol engineers report, material changes etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

You should really but I can't see many insurers or perspective buyers looking at the numbers on the engine block. That said if you were to be involved in a fatal accident etc the assessor will go through the car thoroughly on the off chance the insurance company wont have to pay out.

Your insurance company will probably load the car once you submit an Engineers Report. Insurance is silly in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Silly thing to have engine number in the logbook and all the hassle involved with it.
    Situation was the same in Poland about 15 years ago, and changing engine was big hassle, but they decided to abandon putting engine number into reg cert, to catch up with the rest of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 herself_there

Good lord.
    So I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't...

Would they really load my insurance? Would it be permanently increased?

It worries me about being involved in an accident and having my policy cancelled. If it's a like for like engine, it shouldn't be so much hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

if its a like for like engine why does he need to inform the insurance ? its not performace enhancing, its a mechanical repair ?

the log book fair enough to update the engine number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

Sitec wrote:
    Your insurance company will probably load the car once you submit an Engineers Report. Insurance is silly in Ireland.

Why would they do that on a like for like replacement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

Just update the information on the log book.

All that has happened is your engine was replaced for a repair. It's not like you went up from a 2 litre engine to a 3 litre engine with more cylinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 herself_there

5W30 wrote: »
    Just update the information on the log book.

All that has happened is your engine was replaced for a repair. It's not like you went up from a 2 litre engine to a 3 litre engine with more cylinders.

Thanks for all the advice lads.

Yes I'll definitely change the log book now. I think it's worth doing just to cover myself. I'll worry about the insurance after. Going to have to ring the tax office tomorrow and ask them exactly what they need from me regarding the engineers report, or main dealer nonsense.

If my mechanic's letter on headed paper isn't good enough for them, can anyone recommend a main dealer in Dublin who would do an engineers report for a VW? Has anyone been through this process with the tax office recently? I see you have to do it in person now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Don't bother doing anything. Totally pointless IMO.

• Advertisement

Don't bother doing anything. Totally pointless IMO.

Considering your profession, I believe you know what you are talking about.
    So there are no risks associated with not updating engine number on logbook?

Realistically, no.

If the OP had gone to a VW dealer and had a brand new engine fitted, that engine would not have an engine number on it because VW don't put numbers on new replacement engines. So then what would the OP do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I never done anything with mine.

Exact same engine refitted as removed, it was a repair procedure, I don't have to declare a replacement gearbox but insurance think they can load me for replacing my faulty engine like for like? Nah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Same here.

No need to inform anyone if you swap an engine like for like. It's just a spare part, nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

joujoujou wrote: »
    No need to inform anyone if you swap an engine like for like. It's just a spare part, nothing else.

+1 If the old and new engines have the same specs. and (especially) the same bhp then it's not a 'material' change i.e. there is no alteration to the risk profile of the car and it would be no different from fitting new wiper blades.

Getting the registration cert. updated would probably be advisable because if you go to sell it, a prospective buyer may spot the discrepancy and walk away or worse, report you to the cops thinking you were selling a cloned car.

I wouldn't even bother updating the VRC. The engine number is not easily visible when the engine is in the car. The chances of any prosective buyer checking it are remote.

I wouldn't even bother updating the VRC. The engine number is not easily visible when the engine is in the car. The chances of any prosective buyer checking it are remote.

I usually do if possible when buying a car.

CiniO wrote: »
    I usually do if possible when buying a car.

From your posts on here I would conclude that you are not like most people ;)

You'd do very well to locate it and read it on a 1.9TDI VW in any case.

Even if you did manage to find it and read it and realised it was different to the original engine number, what difference does it make? As someone else already pointed out, the engine is just a part of the car, if it needs replacing it gets replaced, same as any other part. No big deal IMO.

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 If the old and new engines have the same specs. and (especially) the same bhp then it's not a 'material' change i.e. there is no alteration to the risk profile of the car and it would be no different from fitting new wiper blades.
    That makes sense to you and me.
    But does it make sense to insurance company?
    Is there actually any definition of "material fact" which you are obliged to disclose to update risk profile.

Considering insurers build their risk profiles on completely exotic things like vehicle age or make and model, or fact that you installed aftermarket foglights or something, then I'd be no surprised, if in their eyes person who swapped engine during repairs could be considered higher risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Is there actually any definition of "material fact" which you are obliged to disclose to update risk profile.

The principle is that if you're in any doubt, disclose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uberrima_fides

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...]

In my opinion, insurance company would have to prove that was you who replaced the engine first. As long as you'd insist that particular engine was there since you've bought the car, you'd be sound.

Open to corrections though. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The insurance company doesn't ask you for the engine serial no. so if you swap out the original engine and replace it with an identical block, what are you going to tell them? What will they do with the information?
    Considering insurers build their risk profiles on completely exotic things like vehicle age or make and model, or fact that you installed aftermarket foglights or something, then I'd be no surprised, if in their eyes person who swapped engine during repairs could be considered higher risk.

How could it be a higher risk? What about the gearbox, wiper motor, alternator. How much does the insurance company need to know?

You'll end up ringing 123.ie or similar and they'll charge you €50 as an 'administration' fee for noting it on your policy. I wouldn't tell my insurance company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I wouldn't bother informing the insurance. You didn't specify engine number xxxx when taking out the policy and so long as the new engine is from the same make/model car and is the same spec then you haven't changed anything that effects performance safety or value.

Advertisement