Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was this WW1 casualty my relation ?

Options
  • 17-11-2014 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I just need a little outside perspective to confirm that a WW1 casualty is in fact my relation. His name was Andrew Ennis and his no. is 26651 (Iniskilling Fusiliers). He was killed 18/04/1918 and he is buried in France . I know the details even have a photo of the headstone. I have seen on other websites that he enlisted in Milltown Co. Dublin and this is a big reason why I think he is the Andrew Ennis listed below in the 1901/11 census who is definitely a relation of mine.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Dundrum/Farranboley/1315763/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Milltown/Farranboley/98687/

On the plus side too there is a history of military service in the family with his brother William serving for 12 years plus in the BA. On the downside my granddad while occasionally mentioning WW1 never mentioned the uncle he lost.

What are the chances ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Unfortunate I wasn't able to find any service records on Ancestry. These would normally list next of kin and so would be a very good way to link him to a family (parents or wife). Without the service records you may never really know until the next census is released and you go try finding him. I think that all you can really do is start ruling out other people named Andrew Ennis until you're more confident that the soldier is your Andrew Ennis.

Until then you can perhaps order this marriage cert and see if it’s your guy (based on the parents name in the cert)

Andrew Ennis
    Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1917
    Registration district: Dublin North
    Volume: 2
    Page Number: 465
    FHL Film Number: 101263

Though it may be the Andrew Ennis from Mountjoy.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Mountjoy/Summer_Place/27317/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

SDGW
    Name: Andrew Ennis
    Birth Place: Milltown, Co. Dublin
    Death Date: 18 Apr 1918
    Death Place: France and Flanders
    Enlistment Place: Dublin
    Regiment: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
    Battalion: 8th Battalion
    Regimental Number: 26651
    Type of Casualty: Died
    Theatre of War: Western European Theatre
    Comments: Formerly 9973, Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

Just to add he is listed as Died rather than Killed in Action or Died of Wounds. Usually Died means from illness, accident or such like. the 7/8th Inniskillings was involved in a mutiny in April 1918

No will online for Andrew Ennis or an entry on Irish War Memorials site.

http://soldierswills.nationalarchives.ie/search/sw/results.jsp?surname=ennis&firstname=&wo_number=&service_number=&wod_dd=&wod_mm=&wod_yyyy=&dd_dd=&dd_mm=&dd_yyyy=&search=Search

7th and 8th Battalions were amalgamated on the 23/8/1917 to form 7/8th Battalion

The Commanding Officer of the 8th and then the 7/8th was Lt Col Arthur Jewell Walkey. The battalion was withdrawn from the line late March 1918. Lt Col Walkey had been wounded on the 21st March 1918

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1079369?descriptiontype=Full&ref=WO+339/25458

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭kildarejohn

SDGW
    Name: Andrew Ennis
    Birth Place: Milltown, Co. Dublin
    I am not too experienced in WW1 research, can you explain what SDGW is?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

SDGW - Soldiers Died in the Great War (It's an archive that can be bought or perhaps has an online version).

I am not too experienced in WW1 research, can you explain what SDGW is?

the following may help with some of the terms/resources re WW1 research

http://johnny-doyle.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/irish-soldiers-ww1.html

• Advertisement

for any Dubliner killed, always worth checking in the archives in Pearse Street. They have a number of good publications from the era.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

for any Dubliner killed, always worth checking in the archives in Pearse Street. They have a number of good publications from the era.

What archives are they? I study near there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MEDublin

Hi desbrook, The Andrew Ennis in Farrenboley is also related to my family and I found the same WW1 record you did. Was unsure if they were the same person until I talked to an aunt of my mothers and she remembers my father talking about an uncle who died in WW1 so I think that is as close to conformation was I can get. My grandfather was Andrews younger brother Joseph. I got a copy of the medal card for Andrew but it doesnt tell you much, he got the Victory and British medal for the R Innis Fus. and the Victory for R A M C corps.
    desbrook wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I just need a little outside perspective to confirm that a WW1 casualty is in fact my relation. His name was Andrew Ennis and his no. is 26651 (Iniskilling Fusiliers). He was killed 18/04/1918 and he is buried in France . I know the details even have a photo of the headstone. I have seen on other websites that he enlisted in Milltown Co. Dublin and this is a big reason why I think he is the Andrew Ennis listed below in the 1901/11 census who is definitely a relation of mine.

On the plus side too there is a history of military service in the family with his brother William serving for 12 years plus in the BA. On the downside my granddad while occasionally mentioning WW1 never mentioned the uncle he lost.

What are the chances ?

MEDublin wrote: »
    I got a copy of the medal card for Andrew but it doesnt tell you much, he got the Victory and British medal for the R Innis Fus. and the Victory for R A M C corps.

the RAMC medal index card is for another Andrew Ennis. No 111919, Andrew Ennis, RAMC awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 MEDublin

Thanks I thought it was the same andrew when the R Innis Fus. was amalgamated with another division and was given a new number. It was on the same medal card sheet that I bought as Andrew 26651

MEDublin wrote: »
    Thanks I thought it was the same andrew when the R Innis Fus. was amalgamated with another division and was given a new number. It was on the same medal card sheet that I bought as Andrew 26651

sounds like you got the medal index card sheet from the UK National Archives; they normally give a PDF file of a sheet of paper that has the man you want plus 7(?) others. Only has the front of the card. Ancestry and FMP give individual medal index cards and show front and back of the card.

Nothing on the back for either Andrew Ennis I'm afraid.

Advertisement