Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Southern reg Vauxhalls

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Quazzie wrote: »
    Buy a Vauxhall, then go on e-bay and spend about €50 on Opel badges and an Opel grill and you get a better specced "Opel" for smaller money.

Simples

Would there not be issues with insurance as your insuring a Vauxhall not an opel, yet it would have opel badges on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

micraX wrote: »
    Would there not be issues with insurance as your insuring a Vauxhall not an opel, yet it would have opel badges on it?

How? You could put an Electrolux badge on it and it won't make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

corsav6 wrote: »
    What would you recommend then?

Anything. Jus don't buy opel/vauxhall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Cogsy88 wrote: »

Have you anything to back up that view, or is it just pub talk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

I have found, contrary to another poster that Vauxhalls are quite dear to buy in the UK.
    Back to why I would never buy one.
    The 1.4 petrol engine, the one with the timing chain is a disaster.
    The chain will struggle to get past 80k miles without being replaced.
    There is a plastic water take off pipe on the water pump that becomes brittle and breaks.

They are very prone to overheating and head gasket trouble and very often self destruct in those situations.
    And they do not have a temperature guage just in case you you might cop on to a heating problem developing.
    Second hand engines are like hens teeth and 60k mls engines are fetching up to €1000.
    I think that says it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

OK then, I'll throw the 2 Astra's on done deal tomorrow and hope I get enough to buy "anything else". You sound like you know what your talking about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I love Bulmers. Wouldn't touch that Magners sh**e though.rolleyes.png

OK then, I'll throw the 2 Astra's on done deal tomorrow and hope I get enough to buy "anything else". You sound like you know what your talking about.

Always crap turbos, combos snap timing chains. Astras give trouble with erg valves. 1.0 liter corsas also snap chains. Older ones rust and fall apart and don't get me started on c20xes and c20lets leak oil everywhere cause of dat stupid 2 part sump gasket nd they also burn huge amounts of oil. Zaffys also Burn oil. I had an opel once nd the chain tensioner failed. Total engine wipeout. Ders a reason y der so cheap secondhand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Could you not get in trouble with the Gardai for rebadging a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

You could for ringing one but that involves a lot more than changing the badges.
    Or if you put a Rhino horn on the bonnet

• Advertisement

Always crap turbos, combos snap timing chains. Astras give trouble with erg valves. 1.0 liter corsas also snap chains. Older ones rust and fall apart and don't get me started on c20xes and c20lets leak oil everywhere cause of dat stupid 2 part sump gasket nd they also burn huge amounts of oil. Zaffys also Burn oil. I had an opel once nd the chain tensioner failed. Total engine wipeout. Ders a reason y der so cheap secondhand.

Total engine wipeout? Maybe you should have serviced it and the tensioner wouldn't have been oil starved.
    I have owned a few vauxhalls over the years and had the usual egr problems, but regular servicing and don't thrash them until they warm up and their a sound car.
    Searh Google for the cause of most of the problems you listed and you will see most can be avoided. And while your at it compare their reliability to other manufacturers, not as bad as you make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Perhaps you should for an RS4 TDI :P

Total engine wipeout? Maybe you should have serviced it and the tensioner wouldn't have been oil starved.
    I have owned a few vauxhalls over the years and had the usual egr problems, but regular servicing and don't thrash them until they warm up and their a sound car.
    Searh Google for the cause of most of the problems you listed and you will see most can be avoided. And while your at it compare their reliability to other manufacturers, not as bad as you make out.

It also blew a turbo previously on it. i did service it. So u check the internet to see how to stop your opel from breaking after you buy it. Ford or toyota only for me. I've always driven fords and have not had any bad problems. There underpowered, but better late then never.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Buy a Ford. Problem solved.

Buy a Ford. Problem solved.

This guy knows what he's about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

It also blew a turbo previously on it. i did service it. So u check the internet to see how to stop your opel from breaking after you buy it. Ford or toyota only for me. I've always driven fords and have not had any bad problems. There underpowered, but better late then never.

So go buy the ecoboost ford focus and come back to us when the turbo blows on that too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

CJC999 wrote: »
    As soon as I see an Opel, I think, old man in poverty spec car. It's a horrible brand and made worse by the irish insistency on buying the lowest powered engine with the most basic spec so that they can save a few hundred euros and without consideration for the huge depreciation the cars will have taken when it comes to sell. I wouldn't touch an Opel to save my life, they truly are one if the dullest cars with an equally dull name, on the market.

A little harsh....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Speedster_Turbo_1.JPG

Change the oil nd she won't blow up. Regularly serviced my combo nd it still died.

CJC999 wrote: »
    As soon as I see an Opel, I think, old man in poverty spec car. It's a horrible brand and made worse by the irish insistency on buying the lowest powered engine with the most basic spec so that they can save a few hundred euros and without consideration for the huge depreciation the cars will have taken when it comes to sell. I wouldn't touch an Opel to save my life, they truly are one if the dullest cars with an equally dull name, on the market.

I like this man.

Ford or Toyota, in fairness you could hardly consider them very reliable, plenty of complaints on various forums, as with most other manufacturers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

So go buy the ecoboost ford focus and come back to us when the turbo blows on that too!

I haven't heard much about them blowing up yet. Much go wrong with them?
    In Germany we say Ford kaufen, Ford fahren fortschmeissen (buy Ford, drive Ford throw away Ford, but I can't fully translate it, bit of wordplay) but we also say Jeder Popel fährt ein Opel (every snot drives an Opel), so people like both, what can you say... ;):p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So u check the internet to see how to stop your opel from breaking after you buy it

Ah that's ok, we're talking about Vauxhalls here so a completely different car, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

OP is right. At least you can put German style plates on an Opel and not look like a twat. Oh, wait.........

Advertisement