Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garage scrapped car without permission.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭B00056718

Usually either parted out or stripped out and sent out of the EU in boxes.

I'd wager on the first one tbh. Easiest way of making a quick buck on a car with a dodgy history.

This most likely.
    I'm from Latvia and I know that used Volvo parts are in high demand. Same goes for Saab, Audi VW and BMW parts.

I know there are few guys making money in coming over on car transpoter trucks, buying faulty Volvos, BMWs and Saabs and bringing them back to Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine and Russia to be sold in parts.

Didnt know there was such a dark side behind it. Usually they would issue end of life certs from the scrap yards in the eastern European countries in exchange for the logbooks, and the guys would declare their activities to their home revenue office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

My car was unlawfully removed from the drive of my house,crushed and no logbook changed hands,boys in blue said it was a civil matter,it was a 1litre petrol with 64k on it,so in short whether legal or not it can be done

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That's when it's an unsolicited gift. Different story.
    Anyway improper scrapping of a car is a crime. According to citizensinformation.ie penalties can go up to ten years imprisonment.

(http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/buying_or_selling_a_vehicle/how_to_dispose_of_an_end_of_life_vehicle.html)

Sale of goods act 1893 gives the garage a lien on the car from my interpretation of the law : Part IV "Rights of Unpaid Seller against the Goods" http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1893/en/act/pub/0071/print.html
    You see in a lot of businesses t's and c's a 90 day time line before your goods are disposed of.
    It would be interesting to see it play out, I'd assume the car was "broken for parts" rather than illegally scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

furmi wrote: »
    HI all and thanks for the replies

It was a Volvo V70 2.4 D5 SE. It was 2005 and diesel.

She used these crowd (foreigners) on 3 occasions for service. No problems and always paid immediately. She was never asked to move the car at any stage and she kept up regular contact. It was a semi automatic transmission and this was where the problem was in the car. The car was outside on gravel and not stored inside and storage charges were never sought or mentioned. She even asked what was the bill to date for ripping the gearbox but was told leave all to the end. She still has the log book and was advised to go the the Gardai which she has since done. She has since found out that she is not alone in this matter.

What is the colour and number plate of the car?
    Personally I'd say that car is in the EU somewhere, so I'd check out car websites in the Eastern block countries and see what you find.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    My car was unlawfully removed from the drive of my house,crushed and no logbook changed hands,boys in blue said it was a civil matter,it was a 1litre petrol with 64k on it,so in short whether legal or not it can be done

Unlawfully removed by who? How can something that was unlawfully taken from you be a civil matter? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

djimi wrote: »
    Unlawfully removed by who? How can something that was unlawfully taken from you be a civil matter? :confused:
    Report it stolen, then it is not a civil matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

At the end of the day the car was stolen and its been reported.
    Contact your insurance company and make a claim.
    Unfortunately I can not see you getting the car back at this stage.
    Scumbags!!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭furmi

Update

What appears to be the engine and gearbox of the car has been recovered from these guys premises by Gardai today but the rest of the car is still missing. Someone has alot of questions to answer I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There was something similar , documented on another forum iirc of some girls impreza ( I think) a few year back that went missing and was found about 3/4's dismantled in a garage near the spawell.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

There was something similar , documented on another forum iirc of some girls impreza ( I think) a few year back that went missing and was found about 3/4's dismantled in a garage near the spawell.

I think it was a white evo4 iirc. The pics and all were on the forum, Ill try find a link :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

http://www.irishcruisers.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-8569.html

This is one link i found, DTDIrl is where all the pics and all are :)

Update

What appears to be the engine and gearbox of the car has been recovered from these guys premises by Gardai today but the rest of the car is still missing. Someone has alot of questions to answer I'd say.

Do you know if they have been arrested? Glad to see the police have taken it seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

djimi wrote: »

I didnt give permission for it to ve removed,a family member did but they weren't the owners of the property therefore had no right to seek its removal,the owner of the property now deceased was fine with it,called the gardai who said that its a civil matter,sure who am i to question a garda

bear1 wrote: »
    Do you know if they have been arrested? Glad to see the police have taken it seriously

Yes in custody as we speak but the less said about that for now the better.

Yes in custody as we speak but the less said about that for now the better.

Of course, at least some good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Happened to lad here on boards too.
    His classic Merc got lifted and was found stripped down

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056809023

Some right feckers out there.

Hi all

It's over 2 weeks now since some of the parts of the car were recovered. The garage has not opened since and the owner appears to have skipped town. At least one other customer of this place is in the same boat and has a car also missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks for the update.

Mad stuff altogether.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is the car insured? Just declare it stolen?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It effectively was stolen wasnt it? Did they break it for parts? A 05 volvo would still be worth a few quid, even more to break it up and ship it off to eastern Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

If there was ever an example of why you should use a reputable dealer or indy to repair your car, this is it.....

Sorry to hear of the OP's troubles.

kceire wrote: »
    Is the car insured? Just declare it stolen?

It was insured when it was left in to the garage but was transferred off and on to another car so it appears she can't make a claim.

road_high wrote: »
    It effectively was stolen wasnt it? Did they break it for parts? A 05 volvo would still be worth a few quid, even more to break it up and ship it off to eastern Europe.

Don't know as only engine and gear box have been found. Don't know where rest of car is gone to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Don't know as only engine and gear box have been found. Don't know where rest of car is gone to.

The shell would most likely be crushed and sold for scrap.
    I suppose he hasn't managed to offload the engine and gearbox yet.

Advertisement