Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free Family Tree,need help???

Options
  • 14-10-2009 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I'm looking to search my family tree as far back as I can.
    I have the name of my Great-Grandfather and I've found his name on the 1911 Census available on the following link:http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/ ,

I now know the names of his parents and his two older siblings,what I need help with is finding previous census records to trace his parents origin.I can't seem to find them online anywhere.

Can anyone help,I have contacted LeitrimRoots.com but they chagre 5euro per record and they dont have let you view the record before you purchase,so you could be purchasing a record for someone with the same name as your relative that lived in a different part of the county.
    I also contact the Leitrim Genagolgy Centre but they are also very expensive.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Hi,

If you read the sticky at the top of this forum, it should get you started. If you have more specific questions, feel free to ask them.

Best of luck,
    Pinky

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I now know the names of his parents and his two older siblings,what I need help with is finding previous census records to trace his parents origin.I can't seem to find them online anywhere.

There aren't any other census records. Now you have to work out the marriage and birth dates of those people in the census and purchase those certs. From there you may be able to go back another generation (usually you'll find people's parents names on their marriage certs and the mothers maiden name on a birth cert).

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PatB71

http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/1901census/census.shtml

Don`t know if this will help but try this website for the 1901 census.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

PatB71 wrote: »
    http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/1901census/census.shtml

Don`t know if this will help but try this website for the 1901 census.
    cheers for the link but the search engine doesnt work on my system for some reason but I e-mailed them there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Tableman

Parish Records should be your next stop.

Depending on the Parish, you will be able to get Baptism and marraige certs. Again, it depends on the parish how far they go back.

They can be consulted free of charge in the national library

• Advertisement
Advertisement