Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Damp boot, Ford focus 2006 Saloon

• 31-12-2018 5:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Water is getting into my boot.
    I took up the lining and used a hose and found out where its coming in.

There's a small gap underneath the rear lights and the water is getting in there and coming out a vent on the inside. This is on both sides.

I've attached pictures of the areas I'm talking about.

Has anyone got any experience in fixing this? I assume there's some seal that's hardened recently and that's why it's started leaking now.

The vent doesn't want to come off through the inside so might have to be replaced from the outside, meaning the rear bonnet will need to come off. Is this a DIY job or will a Ford garage have to fix it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

You could just seal the gap with clear silicon on the outside,or maybe try fix the slipped bumper,

It really just depends on how much it bothers you and how much you are willing to spend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

I think car is too old and labour too expensive to be thinking of a Ford garage.
    Tube of clear "tec 7" or all weather silicone sealant and put a bead around the light, that's what I'd do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Have seen this in my brothers car, he just sealed it up with sealant and put a dehumidifier in the boot for a few hours to dry it up. If I remember right it’s the seal around the light cluster itself that leaks and you will need to remove the cluster to put the sealant on properly. If it’s coming in the vents then a shot there will sort that also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Do you think the bumper slipped? Looks fine to me, as it lines up with the other panels. I think its just a design flaw that only shows itself once the rubber seal (whichever one it is) dries up.

I could probably stick a layer of clear sealant but I might have to do it up passed the light, as that same gap continues up to the wheel (albeit not as much a gap) as its where the bumper meets the rear panel.

I'll have to do something anyway coz the boot is unusable. I left a buggy in there and it grew a load of mould. The whole handle was fluffy with the mould!! There's still mould on the carpet as well, which I'll have to take care of. Anything I leave in there will be ruined.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Do you think the bumper slipped? Looks fine to me, as it lines up with the other panels. I think its just a design flaw that only shows itself once the rubber seal (whichever one it is) dries up.

Tbh it looks like the rubber seal has disappeared completely as its a good few mm of a gap,just use silicon,its easy enough to do :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

People on the classic scene have often told me that silicon sealer will promote rust. No idea if it's true.

Isambard wrote: »
    People on the classic scene have often told me that silicon sealer will promote rust. No idea if it's true.

It can do as it releases acetic acid as it drys but you can get non acidic silicone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭ORVEE

I wouldn't bother putting sealant around the lamp. Remove the lamp completely and you'll see where the back of the lamp is sitting up against the panel of the car. The seal maybe just after coming out of position. If not, then use the sealant around the cluster.

Advertisement