Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sticking brake caliper on front left

• 04-11-2018 7:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭

I've a sticking brake caliper on front left, can feel heat from it, the darn caliper is only 18 months old got it done in advance pitstop, rang them they said warranty is only 12 months! Thought it would last a lot lot longer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

buzzing147 wrote: »
    I've a sticking brake caliper on front left, can feel heat from it, the darn caliper is only 18 months old got it done in advance pitstop, rang them they said warranty is only 12 months! Thought it would last a lot lot longer.

Maybe check slider pins first before replacing whole caliper. Remove, clean and re-grease. Happened on a Mazda I have, caliper was sticking on but grit had gotten in past seals and was stopping caliper sliding back out. Good clean up and new grease fixed it up. I could have replaced the seal but after cleaning it seemed to sit back in well enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A year's warranty sounds sufficient for a caliper refurb.
    Most problems should have shown up by then.

As said check the slider pins.

If you can do this DIY I will move this thread, otherwise it stays in main forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭buzzing147

biko wrote: »
    A year's warranty sounds sufficient for a caliper refurb.
    Most problems should have shown up by then.

As said check the slider pins.

If you can do this DIY I will move this thread, otherwise it stays in main forum.

I replaced brake pads on front, mechanic said caliper seemed fine piston went back, but still heat from the caliper. Reason I got pads replaced was one was out of place, that's the side where the warm caliper is

You can file down the sides of the pad a millimeter or so, maybe they aren't moving freely in the caliper (which I assume is not caked in dirt)

I've done this myself when a pad wouldn't fit just right, drove on the pad for a year or so without bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

You can file down the sides of the pad a millimeter or so, maybe they aren't moving freely in the caliper (which I assume is not caked in dirt)

I've done this myself when a pad wouldn't fit just right, drove on the pad for a year or so without bother.

^^I have done this to, usually for me I found spurious pads are too tight a fit and need abit of filing.

• Advertisement

Would it be surprising that an 18 month old caliper would start giving bother? Feels hot and can feel the vibration whilst driving. Maybe faulty caliper?

Yes, but the question is - is it a problem with the caliper, or something else? Maybe not mounted properly etc?
    Most things I can think of should have shown themselves during the first 12 months.

There could be an issue with the brake hose or brake fluid, preventing the fluid to flow back quickly after pushing down the brake pedal.

Yes, but the question is - is it a problem with the caliper, or something else? Maybe not mounted properly etc?
    Most things I can think of should have shown themselves during the first 12 months.

There could be an issue with the brake hose or brake fluid, preventing the fluid to flow back quickly after pushing down the brake pedal.

I'd be hopeing it's the caliper just bought one from main dealer getting a guy to fit it tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Its your money but would it not have been better to have it diagnosed and then let the mechanic get the parts? If its not the caliper then you have thrown that money away, and it is likely the mechanic will need to get new discs and pads anyway if it is the caliper. They wouldnt be ok to use if the caliper has been sticking to the point of vibration.

rex-x wrote: »
    Its your money but would it not have been better to have it diagnosed and then let the mechanic get the parts? If its not the caliper then you have thrown that money away, and it is likely the mechanic will need to get new discs and pads anyway if it is the caliper. They wouldnt be ok to use if the caliper has been sticking to the point of vibration.

Yea true mechanic had it on lift said wheels not freely moving and it's probly the caliper, only been hot to touch this past few days so hopefully discs ok, pads are new

• Advertisement

Yea true mechanic had it on lift said wheels not freely moving and it's probly the caliper, only been hot to touch this past few days so hopefully discs ok, pads are new

Even one decent journey with the caliper stuck on is enough to make sure they are toast, depends how bad it is sticking but it you can feel vibration then its discs and pads time

Even one decent journey with the caliper stuck on is enough to make sure they are toast, depends how bad it is sticking but it you can feel vibration then its discs and pads time

No vibration when braking just feel as if car is struggling a bit, as if something's loose or sticking

No vibration when braking just feel as if car is struggling a bit, as if something's loose or sticking

If thats the case let then mechanic make the call, but be prepared for new discs & pads

If thats the case let then mechanic make the call, but be prepared for new discs & pads

Had similar problem before 18 months ago it was caliper got new one back then, no pads or discs needed. But it's same caliper this time too, ugh

Do new calipers come with bolts or screws? Just opened box got one from main dealer only see the caliper in box, no screws etc

Do new calipers come with bolts or screws? Just opened box got one from main dealer only see the caliper in box, no screws etc

They come as part of a hardware kit, separate order unfortunately

They come as part of a hardware kit, separate order unfortunately

So mechanic won't be able to fit it without me returning for another part? Omg

So mechanic won't be able to fit it without me returning for another part? Omg

He can use the bolts from the old caliper

He can use the bolts from the old caliper

Ok cheers, they should fit? Think the old caliper was a sperious one but this is a genuine one. Might still fit? I thought everything would be in box:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Some pads come with the hardware (I like Brembo - cheap and come with all the bits).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Ok cheers, they should fit? Think the old caliper was a sperious one but this is a genuine one. Might still fit? I thought everything would be in box:(

Yes, they should fit the caliper carrier regardless whether the caliper is genuine or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭treascon

OP just wondering how much the whole lot cost you in the end?

treascon wrote: »
    OP just wondering how much the whole lot cost you in the end?

New genuine caliper is 100e in main dealer. Got it fitted then, no issues now.

Advertisement