Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vw golf 2012 1.2 tsi repair cost.

Options
  • 21-08-2018 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all
    My sisters vw golf has gone in for repair. The oil light came on, Sunday. I dipped it and found it to be low so topped it up with some oil I had. She got it towed to garage on Monday.
    On Tuesday the garage rang up and said it’d be a €1200 to fix as a hose had “split” and needed to be replaced and this was putting stress on the timing chain which would also have to be replaced.
    It seems a bit steep to me, especially as the car was in for a service with the same garage at the end of February. There is no evidence of oil on her driveway and there wasn’t a large amount of oil on the engine that I could see, which leads me to believe it wasn’t leaking for that long, hence not stressing the chain that much.
    I’m not a mechanic though, but I’m just not sure how a split pipe could cause all this damage.
    What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'm not sure about the split hose thing but those engines are partial to a drop of oil at the best of times and are even more partial to timing chains, especially if the oil level isn't kept correct. Sounds plausible tbh regardless of the split hose thing.

Doesn't sound like a million miles out for a main dealer price to repair, probably a little strong for an independent garage though. If it's with a VW dealer I'd ask for goodwill if you have a history with them. It isn't unheard of even at that age.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Those engines are a steaming pile of poo and they're trying to make the inevitable failure of the timing chain your fault so you won't ask them to fix it on goodwill.

Those engines are a steaming pile of poo and they're trying to make the inevitable failure of the timing chain your fault so you won't ask them to fix it on goodwill.

It's a nice conspiracy theory but why would they do that in practise?

If they request goodwill and it's granted, VW will pay the dealer for doing the work with no quibble and the car owner will obviously accept a free repair, so it's guaranteed work for the garage if VW offer the customer goodwill.

If the customer doesn't request they check for goodwill and they just price the customer for retail work as above, the customer could decline due to high repair cost on an older car and then the garage gets nothing. So the goodwill usually benefits the garage and the customer.

But yeah, the engines are made from chocolate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

OK, got a point there. But I would still say that doing too much goodwill work will lead to raised eyebrows at VW HQ, hence garages trying to find any reason not to offer it too freely.

Yeah well warranty/ goodwill is less lucrative so retail work is preferable, that's why I'd make sure to ask for goodwill to make sure they check for you. Goodwill work is just better than letting a customer walk and getting nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I said to her about the goodwill work so she will ask this morning and I will let you know what the garage says.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

tom1ie wrote: »
    I said to her about the goodwill work so she will ask this morning and I will let you know what the garage says.
    We had that same engine in petrol golf-11 reg.In 2015 the timing chain and water pump were on way out.Even though car was nearly year out of warranty,dealer got goodwill off vw of 70% as far as i recall on both parts and labour.I think cost otherwise was about 1100 on chain and 400 on water pump.I heard after that vw were aware of problem with that chain and were stopping short of a recall but were using goodwill instead.It was such a common problem that the new chain was specifically designed such was the failure rate with original.We had no problems with it in the meantime and sold car for good money last summer.The current one has belt instead of chain as far as i know.Aall vw dealers are aware of it so try for the goodwill anyhow

Advertisement