Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unlocking the wheel nuts - renault

Options
  • 04-04-2018 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

09 Megane.

Friend of mine went off and bought a car .. didn't check for a jack or a wheel brace.
    Has now realised he has lock nuts on the alloys and no key for em.

Whats to do?

I see halfords, micks garage, have locknut removal tools...
    Seems a bit drastic..

Think they are the original wheels.
    Renault here are useless and say they haven't got any way to undo them.
    Anyone got a 09 Megane in Galway that could let him use their kit to get the locknuts open?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

Contact previous owner, might get lucky.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If it is possible to hammer on a regular socket which is slightly too small and remove it that way, that's what I'd do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Same manufacturer or not, lock nuts don’t match. Your best bet is the previous owner.
    They can be a right pain to remove without the key. After all that’s their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Thanks,
    Don't think previous owner is an option.. the friend isn't too bright about buying cars.. think he met yer man in a carpark etc.. didn't even feckin do a cartell before he handed over the cash...

yeh just can't help some people...

The socket thing wont work on the new locknuts.. the outside is a ring that spins like..

I'd say he'll end up at an engineering firm somewhere....

Thanks anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

It might be worth a trip to your local tire fitters, my local one has a pile of bits for getting them lock nuts off.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 137 ✭✭toyotafan

In the worst case, drill it off is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

11214 wrote: »
    It might be worth a trip to your local tire fitters, my local one has a pile of bits for getting them lock nuts off.
    +1 on this option, and if they don't have anything to suit, they should be able to point your friend in the direction of some one who does have.

Advertisement