Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rainfall/Drought Watch 2020

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

73.2mm for the month in Arklow
    14.2mm of that since yesterday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

40.1mm at Dunsany up to midnight 18th of June. Since yesterday we can probably add another 20mm to that total.

January: 55.1
    February: 157.1
    March: 47.1
    April: 19.3
    May: 14.2
    June: 40.1 (up to the 18th).

I can see our June total getting close to 100mm over the next week by the time we include the rainfall of the past 24 hours, this weekends rain and more rain possible in the first half of next week. I doubt we will catch up on February's big total but I'd say beating every other month so far this year will be an easy target. Looking at last June, one of my least favourite months ever, it is possible we could beat June 2019 for rainfall before months end.

June 2019 was a horrible month here and just looking at that month, Dunsany managed 78.1mm of rain in June 2019 and had an average mean temperature of 12.8C, this temperature was in the 11's for most of June due to 3 weeks of cooler than average temperatures and got helped considerably in the final week of June when temperatures rose into the low 20's at times.

The mean temperature for June has improved alot over the past week. Last week just at the end of the cold spell we were over a degree below normal sitting at 11.9C. Today we are sitting at 13.1C, that's +0.1C above average. I think the mean may come down again slightly over the next week with all the dull, cool and wet weather before rising again later next week.

So far this June is almost identical to June 2019, we've getting a fair amount of rain, we've had cold spells and not that much in the way of sunshine with the exception of about 3 or 4 days. The only difference is the cold hasn't been as prolonged as last year. The temperatures since last Saturday have recovered our mean back to normal values after a cooler than average first 2 weeks of June. Will be interesting to look at the total for June 2020 at the end of the month and compare both Junes off each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Wicklow Mountains didn't save us here from the rain. The manual gauge had a nice even 17.0mm this morning. June now stands at 26.2mm in south Laois.

Still would need ~65mm to get the soils wet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like the rain has come too late for a big tree behind my house! Leaves all brown and falling. It's like autumn in my back garden!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looks like the rain has come too late for a big tree behind my house! Leaves all brown and falling. It's like autumn in my back garden!

There’s a lot of trees and hedges stressed with drought not to mention lawns.a month of rain is wanted in the west.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Top 6 driest Met Eireann stations in the land this month so far (and up to yesterday)

yF0nv8T.png

Gurteen in north Tipperary now the driest of all. Could be more heavy showers breaking across east Munster and Leinster later on today, with a more general spells of rain for pretty much all over the weekend.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭pauldry

Rain is still less than what I thought and tomorrows washout in Sligo doesnt now start till 6PM!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The rain from yesterday and overnight (14.4mm) brought the rainfall for the month to 27mm.
    Good thing there is a lot more rain to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Can’t believe how much greener my grass has got. Or perhaps I have sod all else to do but look out the back garden.

If we look at percentages for the just the first 18 days of June, then nationally speaking, around 60% of the average rainfall for the period has fallen, which itself belies a wide range of values. For example, just 22% at Gurteen to as high as 143% at Casement.

-- Data c/o Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    If we look at percentages for the just the first 18 days of June, then nationally speaking, around 60% of the average rainfall for the period has fallen, which itself belies a wide range of values. For example, just 22% at Gurteen to as high as 143% at Casement.

-- Data c/o Met Eireann.

And in the past 7 days Casement has had 280% of its LTA.

While Belmullet has had only 10%.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Still depressingly dry in this part of Tipp, south of Gurteen. We had just enough last weekend to keep things from dying, but nothing worthwhile since. Maybe the next lot of rain will get this far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

81mm in Kildare so far this month

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

tromtipp wrote: »
    Still depressingly dry in this part of Tipp, south of Gurteen. We had just enough last weekend to keep things from dying, but nothing worthwhile since. Maybe the next lot of rain will get this far.

It will, any rain from now is going to arrive from the west and not the east.

So it will have a 3000 mile push instead of a 300 mile one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

pad199207 wrote: »
    81mm in Kildare so far this month

Not in my corner of Kildare, 24mm in total, and 20 of that from last night and this morning

latest models going for a real shift in rainfall distribution over the next week. For the past 2 weeks rain has mostly been focused in eastern areas due to the easterly winds, but the winds have now shifted back into the west.

Areas in the west which currently are still experiencing low levels of rainfall will certainly make it up over the next week.

Eastern areas which have experienced a good deal of rain over the past week will start to dry out from tomorrow after tonight's rain band clears.

174-777UK.GIF?20-6

If the model is correct most of the rain this week will fall along the west and north-west as higher pressure keeps many parts of Leinster and Munster dryer over the coming week.

Which could still leave me in the dry. The western rains move north and round the coast, not crossing the hills, the eastern stuff dwindles away over the midlands, The lower Shannon catchment stays dry as a bone.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    latest models going for a real shift in rainfall distribution over the next week. For the past 2 weeks rain has mostly been focused in eastern areas due to the easterly winds, but the winds have now shifted back into the west.

And this is reflected in the actual stats. Both Casement and Johnstown Castle are the wettest Met stations so far this month (65.2mm & 57.3mm respectively) while Mace Hd (10.2mm) & Athenry (12.8mm) are the driest.

If we break Casement's and Mace Hd's figures down into percentages for the month, then the former has already breached its entire monthly average (107% so far) while that latter station is only on 12% to date.

- C/O Met Eireann.

New Moon

Very windy in Sligo with big branches just breaking off the trees I presume because they are heavy in foliage and so dry. The perfect combo. Rain imminent though and at 23mm for June on day 20.

Still no rain here, just a brisk warm wind ripping away any moisture we might have got from dew or mist.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A lot of inland areas still need a lot of rain, so that chart isn't good.

Rain just can't seem to get going here at all. Barely enough to dampen the ground so far. Hopefully that next batch coming from the west will have a bit more punch to it.

New Moon

and it's raining here. Not much, but steadily. If it keeps it up all night maybe I'll be able to rescue my garden pond.

• Advertisement

35mm of rain in 5 hours in Co Kerry so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭giveitholly

8mm here in tipp and it is raining since before 6pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,932 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

pauldry wrote: »
    35mm of rain in 5 hours in Co Kerry so far

I had 20 in the North of the county

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Had some spits on and off here this evening but no real rain. A bit of a lee effect from the Wicklow mountains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭giveitholly

8mm here in tipp and it is raining since before 6pm

Finished with 17.6mm from that system this evening drought well and truly over in my area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Near Westport it was mostly gale force wind-blown drizzle with some short-lived spells of more intense rain during the hours of the weather front's passing. The ground appears refreshed, but remains rock hard. The 12mm total over the past 10 hours gave it time to soak in a bit, though. Here's hoping that the heavy showers 'promised' over the next couple of days will soften the ground further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Well this morning YR had 35mm forecast for here for Saturday

Updated this evening and now its down to 7mm!

Is this the star of the downgrades for the weekend?

Yep - just as I suspected.
    The front has passed here now and got a total of 5.1mm from it.... less than a sixth of what was forecast 4 days ago.

The Atlantic rain just ain't what it used to be:eek:

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Yep - just as I suspected.
    The front has passed here now and got a total of 5.1mm from it.... less than a sixth of what was forecast 4 days ago.

The Atlantic rain just ain't what it used to be:eek:

Well its lashing in Arklow from that Atlantic rain since around 8pm
    13mm so far and rising,making the june total 87.2mm
    Wind gusting to 70kmh with that
    A nasty night out there,here in the east

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Well its lashing in Arklow from that Atlantic rain since around 8pm
    13mm so far and rising,making the june total 87.2mm
    Wind gusting to 70kmh with that
    A nasty night out there,here in the east

Can see the strong radar returns over you now alright.
    It just never got as heavy in the West for whatever reason.

Edit to say. You've had 87mm in 20 days. I'ts taken 80 days to reach 87mm here (since early April). And most of that fell in the space of 3 days.
    You'd wonder who was in the East and who was in the West!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Only recorded 7.5mm from the passing of that Atlantic front this eve in my own location just east of Castlebar. I am also interested to see that it produced more rain near Arklow on the east coast. The band of rain that came from the east a couple of nights ago actually delivered nearly 2mm more here.
    I was walking through some fields locally earlier and the ground is certainly still quite hard underfoot.

20.3mm from the front and this mornings showers in Arklow
    June total 94.5mm
    Certainly no drought here now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Newport recorded just 6mm yesterday and 1.3mm so far today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Mortelaro wrote: »
    20.3mm from the front and this mornings showers in Arklow
    June total 94.5mm
    Certainly no drought here now!

Jackpot summer for us farmers on the East Coast again so far, I've plenty fodder for the cows now but gonna keep the Fert out and keep making the silage because I know the odds are we'll pay for it at some stage ha.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Jackpot summer for us farmers on the East Coast again so far, I've plenty fodder for the cows now but gonna keep the Fert out and keep making the silage because I know the odds are we'll pay for it at some stage ha.

Jackpot for you and poor Reggie is struggling :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain total for the month for Dublin 16 now at 56.2mm. More than March, April and May combined (47.4mm for the 3 months).

• Advertisement

another miserable day here in Meath, very wet and showery after a night of rain. Hopefully we will get a drying trend this week, ground is getting very soaked here with so much rainfall since last Tuesday, easily the wettest week I've seen since sometime back in February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

another miserable day here in Meath, very wet and showery after a night of rain. Hopefully we will get a drying trend this week, ground is getting very soaked here with so much rainfall since last Tuesday, easily the wettest week I've seen since sometime back in February.

I thoroughly blame you with your doom and gloom forecasts ;)

30mm of rain in Sligo for June now

8mm from "the rain"

Apart from a brief spell of heavy rain as the front passed over here yesterday evening, rainfall was desperately light throughout. I have noticed more than once when stratiform/nimbus clouds are higher in the sky than normal and lack the usual attending lower stratus ( like much of yesterday) then you'll not get much rain from them.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

+1

thankfully it won't be all doom and gloom over the coming week, we should have a few dry and warm days later this week which will be a break from all the rain.

It does look like this is going to be a wetter June than last year, particularly in eastern areas which have already seen alot of rain this month. Western areas will be catching up this week but even there it should become dryer from Wednesday if only for a few days. If the charts look unsettled I just call it as I see it and if it looks like we are entering a a warm and dry spell i'll go to town on the warm and sunny weather.

Will you ever stop moaning. It's badly needed if you want to see veg on your dinner plate :D
    We had practically no rain for 3 months

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

A thread to discuss the rainfall patterns of the current year. This chart below shows the mean rainfall trend (expressed as the 28 day running percentage total) for Ireland (Rep) since the start of 2018:

sWZ4ZEA.png

As can been seen, and has been observed by many on this forum, dry spells (really anything below 75% of normal) have been increasingly short supply since late July last year right up to the present, with anomaly values up to 275% during late February/early March this year. Thankfully, the trend, as can be seen in the chart above, is now trending downwards and hopefully this will continue over the next few weeks. A long dry spell (as much as I hate them myself) is what is needed over Ireland right now to help dry out the land a bit and to add a bit of cheer to these bizarre times.

Data used is from Met Eireann.

OP be careful what you wish for in future, just sayin';)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

With you ever stop moaning. It's badly needed if you want to see veg on your dinner plate :D
    We had practically no rain for 3 months

and we had 7 to 8 months of deluges before that! Once the tap is switched on it's very difficult to stop it!

Spring was great this year, I really enjoyed that dry weather and it was badly needed to dry out the land after an incredibly wet late Summer into Autumn and into Winter period.

Now that we are back into an unsettled/mixed pattern it's time to start looking for that next decent spell of warm and settled weather as it is summer and a few weeks of proper summer weather would do us all the world of good!

• Advertisement

Apart from a brief spell of heavy rain as the front passed over here yesterday evening, rainfall was desperately light throughout. I have noticed more than once when stratiform/nimbus clouds are higher in the sky than normal and lack the usual attending lower stratus ( like much of yesterday) then you'll not get much rain from them.

Yep - long time since I've seen a "sky is on the ground" day here.
    Did yesterday's front stall in the East, or why did they end up with twice the rain we got in the west?

Advertisement