Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gales Tonight and Early Morning (Wind gusts today from 90-120km/hr)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

We have a few showers pepping up and perhaps a line developing ahead of them.

That bit just pushed through here with sideways rain and a real blast of winds.

Dubling sustained 40MPH at 11pm, a high figure.

WEB_radar2_201201042330.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

We have a few showers pepping up and perhaps a line developing ahead of them.

That bit just pushed through here with sideways rain and a real blast of winds.

Dubling sustained 40MPH at 11pm, a high figure.

Ye i noticed its actually much stronger here than i expected. The wind seems to be gusting for longer . Wish i had the money to of get my new station to have seen the measurements for here. :( ... Cant get everything aye... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Here's another aircraft landing at Dublin this evening.

This time a turboprop landing on runway 28

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Ye i noticed its actually much stronger here than i expected. The wind seems to be gusting for longer . Wish i had the had of had of gotten my new station to have seen the measurements for here. :( ... Cant get everything aye... :(

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just went outside, winds picking up now again, tried to stand up straight without moving but the wind kept pushing me backwards. Very noisy night.
    Kinda hoping for a nice clear day now with frost for a change!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Oh that line of showers is really getting going in N.Kildare and into Dublin. Very Jealous. Just my luck, it's not developing at all further South...lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Tactical wrote: »
    Here's another aircraft landing at Dublin this evening.

This time a turboprop landing on runway 28

:eek: I landed in Dublin this evening around 18.45pm with Aer Lingus from Lyon, we were due in at 18.00 but I think pilot must have aborted a first attempt, to my untrained ears it sounded like he stuck down the landing gear, then later climbed up again, tidied away landing gear, then down again for a shaky landing at 18.45. I think the clapping was well deserved this time tbh, it was a bit scary :o:). Practically the whole section of the flight from London to Dublin was in turbulence really, some bits worse than others.

Here in Co Waterford South Tipp border, it's very very gusty, and the wind hits the East facing front porch in at a very unusual angle. It's lovely now I'm on Terra Ferma. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭seanknowsall

Very severe squalls and heavy rain here in West Dublin... continuous severe winds for last 10 minutes... It worse than Monday night!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

56.3 km/h 12:29am here in the sunny south east

• Registered Users Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Very severe squalls and heavy rain here in West Dublin... continuous severe winds for last 10 minutes... It worse than Monday night!!

Looks to be on its way here - getting very rough outside now too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Even though I won't experience these showers habit further North, its by far the windiest period of the night..ME reports will be interesting for 12am for 1am.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Bloody hell that was some day up North. Winds seemed stronger than yesterday as we sheltered here anyway on east coast. Quite a bit of damage to garden out back but loved the intensity of the wind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

Up until about 15 minutes ago, there was what can only be described as a severe squalll with severe torrential rain on and off for over an hour!!! The rain has finally cleared but the roar of wind is still immense; almost on a par with the 5amish winds a few nights ago. Looking at radar, I was right under the worst of the echoes showing up in north kildare in the past few hours. Should've got a video....was like something from a disaster move

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Winds have picked up here on the northside in Dublin.

Gets particularly windy for a bit then dies down again.

Its really howling around the back door and is making for interesting listening, but I've now elevated myself by about 2.5mtrs and am tucked up in bed. Can't hear the wind as much 'cause I'm now at the front of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Jebus
    the wind is howling
    huge downpour there but stopped now
    sounds dangerous out
    and no sign of a let down

mullingar area

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Winds have really picked up in strength here in Dundalk in the last 30 minutes, house is shaking with it :eek:

Was just out in it there now getting my bins, the rain is coming down at a 45 degree angle, it's like a wall hitting you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Wind has really picked up here in Waterford City. Just had a gust of 76km/h

www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxindex.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Getting very gusty in N. Dublin now under clear skies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Pretty relentless wind in East Limerick. It's been roaring all night! Haven't slept a wink.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,112 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Terrible nights sleep again in NW.

Winds not that much behind what we had the other night from my estimations.

And a very scary drive into work this morning. Awful conditions with incredibly bad visibility due to driving hailstones being whipped up around the car.

I'd take a couple of days of -2 tebefore these winds tnh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

here in cork: Wind:From WNW at 47km/h gusting to 82km/h

certainly wasn't expecting winds this strong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

jaysus that wind and rain last night and still at now was worse then the other night, just been up the fields and theres a couple of trees down, nice bit of firewood for next winter already. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    here in cork: Wind:From WNW at 47km/h gusting to 82km/h

certainly wasn't expecting winds this strong

My car was rocking from side to side while I was stopped at traffic lights in city centre this morning!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

leahyl wrote: »
    My car was rocking from side to side while I was stopped at traffic lights in city centre this morning!:eek:

ok, not helping, i have to go out in that this morning. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

leahyl wrote: »

.........what you do in your car when you stop at traffic lights is of no concern to us :pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

My Winds: 20~30kmh pretty constant NW

GUSTS: 46khm @ 07:14 sheltered spot, my iMax antenna is almost vertical

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Still don't have wind speed info working again, it was too darn cold and windy to go up on the roof to put the new pole up.

Last night was close to Monday in strength and gust intensity, and despite the wheels being locked, the 1100 Ltr bin has moved again, despite being fairly well protected by a high wall not far away from it's normal location. We are very much protected from south west to north west by the local shopping centre and its boundary wall, so I have to assume that the bin is victim of the swirl coming off those locations, there's no way a direct wind is getting to it.

My guess is that there were overnight gusts close on 50 Kts, based on the noises and the things that have moved in the garden. It's calmed down some now, but still blowing well, so another day of not going near that ladder.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 33,112 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

gbee wrote: »
    My Winds: 20~30kmh pretty constant NW

GUSTS: 46khm @ 07:14 sheltered spot, my iMax antenna is almost vertical

Where is your gauge? Indoors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

NIMAN wrote: »
    Where is your gauge? Indoors?

Funny. But depending on wind direction I can read a higher wind coming in the front door on my handheld. :)

Despite the high winds by door and window are silent. Normally the wind noise is ferocious from even a small wind when blowing prevailing wind direction.

These big winds are mostly coming from my NE and inside I don't hear a sound and 'feel' no wind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I see Monday nights thread is closed but just landed back in Letterkenny today to survey the storm damage, the back garden didn't fare too well with two trees down, the fence flattened and the whole area flooded. Got extremely lucky though with this 30 foot monster of a tree just about missing the house :eek:

img0003ay.jpg

Advertisement