Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quadrantids tonight

Options
  • 03-01-2012 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭

The Quadrantids will be visible, weather permitting, in the northeastern skies tonight. The meteor shower will peak (about 200/hr) at around 1am irish time tomorrow morning. They should be visible from around 10pm tonight onwards.
    A sky map to find the Quadrantids (NASA)
    quadrantids_rad.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Great, thanks for that. Just hope now that there is a break in the cloud cover :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

its a half moon ish (waxing gibbous) out there right now.. fairly bright ..

but it sets at about 04:00 .. still should get to see some between the clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭msshono

Saw a huge one streak across the sky very low over south Dublin at about 8.15pm this evening - it looked like it was just above a 4 story apartment block and literally burned through the sky from south to north like a firework lighting up the clouds it was passing through and then burned out. Never saw one so big/bright/close before, was brilliant. It definitely wasnt a fire work, no noise and was moving horizontally. Didnt even know there was shower due tonight! Am very happy now I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭monster1

Saw a big one too around 8.30 in Roscommon. Came very low

~Ive been out for the last hour. saw nothing..(took a good few photos trying to capture one):D
    might try later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    The Quadrantids will be visible, weather permitting, in the northeastern skies tonight.

Im only after copping on that everyone in Ireland can see this, from that sentence earlier I was sure it was only people in the North East of the island that could see it, which upon reflection was a bit stupid of me! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Have been out for the last hour, seen about 6, moon is being a pain in the arse. It has spoiled nearly every meteor event this year. Im also trying to capture a photo of one. Think one or two may have crossed the cameras sights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Went out for half hour or so and seen about 8 r 9. Although there coming from the northeast i found that by lookin straight up or high over southwest was the best way to look for them. According to spaceweather.com peak is at 7.am but looks like clouds are rollin in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Saw two at about 06:45. I had been looking northeast but like lolie saw mine when I looked straight up. Living in an estate doesn't help, especially when people have lights on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Didnt get to see any myself :( ... think it was too bright and not having a great view to the NE from my back :(... A friend saw an apparent fireball at 10 or so!

But ye, got to test out the new camera .

Heres a nice shot of good oul Orion's belt . :cool:

187231.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

John mac wrote: »
    ~Ive been out for the last hour. saw nothing..(took a good few photos trying to capture one):D
    might try later.

If your camera can do a long exposure of say 30 seconds or so, then you've a good chance of capturing one.

Just set up the camera on a tripod, beanbag or any other steady support, and press the shutter release. If you're using an SLR then use the mirror lock up function and either a remote release or timer release to eliminate camera movement.

An exposure longer than about 30 seconds will show streaking of the stars, but that's a whole other topic :)

3 min 37 seconds of an exposure..
    will stick it up later. I dont have a remote (yet) so had to stand with my finger on the shutter release trying not to move.

DOH . forgot about the lock!!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭msshono

Oh looks like this may be what those of us saw round 8.15pm last Tues!

Astronomy Ireland believes a fireball seen last week landed in the Irish Sea – but would have disintegrated over land first.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/live-in-the-north-east-start-looking-for-some-meteorites-324116-Jan2012/

Advertisement