Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weather site question for the experts

Options
  • 04-01-2012 2:50am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks,

Was looking at this German weather site earlier, here which if I am reading it correctly, shows the track of air that's arrived at a specific point in Europe at various times. I was looking at London, in that's it's the most westerly point they cover.

Am I correct in my understanding that it's showing where the contributing air masses at different levels have been coming from in the preceding days? If I am right in that assumption, it's a very interesting chart option, and shows just how darn fast some of the jets are moving at the moment.

Thanks

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭tphase

You are correct, these trajectories indicate where there an airmass has been - in this case the site also supplies a forecast of the back-trajectory for the following day. Like a weather forecast, there are uncertainties and the further back in time you go, the greater they are.

There are lots of trajectory models about eg NAME, Flexpart, Flextra, HySPLIT.
    You can get Flextra trajectories for numerous locations here. (Mace Head is the only Irish site on the list.). Or you can generate your own with HySPLIT.
    Volcano watchers may be interested in this site.

Advertisement