Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VIII: May the Fourth Star Be With You!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,211 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

From what I remember of the game Barry Daly's wing was targeted quite a bit. Munster got a lot of joy from there.

Don't want to rewatch to confirm my thoughts though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

molloyjh wrote: »
    If Daly had been instructed not to chase (I highly doubt that) then why were we kicking in the first place?

I don't believe that, I was trying to make the point that Daly had a shocker and contributed to JGPs kicks looking so bad.

JGPs box kicking has been consistently poor all season. Yesterday was no different in that regard. He kicks too long and doesn't get enough height on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Parish King

This could be overly harsh, but do people reckon that could be Barry Daly finished at Leinster? He looked really bright in his first couple of games but he's in the situation where he needs to impress every time he plays but he was badly caught out against Minster and his previous game was a red card (which was unfortunate, but reckless all the same).

All that said though, he could end up seeing more time during the 6N depending on call-ups, injuries etc., so he may get a chance to turn it around.

This could be overly harsh, but do people reckon that could be Barry Daly finished at Leinster? He looked really bright in his first couple of games but he's in the situation where he needs to impress every time he plays but he was badly caught out against Minster and his previous game was a red card (which was unfortunate, but reckless all the same).

All that said though, he could end up seeing more time during the 6N depending on call-ups, injuries etc., so he may get a chance to turn it around.

I think we are getting what we expected from Daly. He has had some nice outings so far and it's no surprise that he was targeting in the game against Munster. Coming off second best against a forward in the air was disappointing but otherwise he is being asked to do more than what he probably signed up for given the injuries we've had to the back 3.

Realistically he should have had a few bench performances at most. My only concern is that if he isn't going to be a long term squad member then he is absorbing game minutes that should be used to develop others. I still see him being here next season however.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I hope Daly just had a bad day and maybe just got lost in the atmosphere. It can happen. However, it would concern me he didn't realise half-hearted wasn't going to cut it against Munster. He jogged after kicks, jogged back into covering positions and his tackles betrayed a lack of intensity. Its concerning because lads his age and younger were setting the standard for intensity in the game (Leavy, Conan, Molony).

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Don't think Daly will ever be anything more than a low-end PRO12 winger. The sort of guy who'll play during the six nations and a few outings against the likes of Zebre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Clegg wrote: »
    From what I remember of the game Barry Daly's wing was targeted quite a bit. Munster got a lot of joy from there.

Don't want to rewatch to confirm my thoughts though :/

Daly was with Munster for a while two years ago, so they knew exactly what to do to get at him. I think he's a great player, the Zebo try was 100% JPG's fault rather than his own. Unfortunately the O'Donnell try was really poor on his part, but I'd back him again in another few games this season. Hopefully get some confidence back and get re signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

JGPs box kicking has been consistently poor all season. Yesterday was no different in that regard. He kicks too long and doesn't get enough height on it.

Watch it again, Whether he was kicking long or not, and i dont think he was, Daly was not burning it to chase the kicks. He was poor.

I'd like to see Daly get plenty more chances but he helped make JGP look worse than he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Watch it again, Whether he was kicking long or not, and i dont think he was, Daly was not burning it to chase the kicks. He was poor.

I'd like to see Daly get plenty more chances but he helped make JGP look worse than he was.

If Daly was as fast as Usain Bolt, he still wouldn't have got near any of those kicks. They were long and I doubt any kick all night was in the air for more than 3 seconds. We were under pressure and needed possession, not aimless kicking inviting them to run back at us.

I think it's way to early to be writing Daly off, the exact same comments like Awecs were being made about Byrne this time last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I was hoping we would get the Leinster team today, but tomorrow I guess?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Daly's chasing wasn't great but that doesn't make the kicks any better I'm afraid. It's a weak part of JGPs game. Munster wasn't the first time we've seen that. The guy has a lot of great qualities and is exactly the guy I'd want off the bench against tiring legs or starting against less organised sides.

As for writing Daly off I think it's ludicrously early to do something like that. Has he even had several senior caps yet? Let's give the guy some time before we judge him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

errlloyd wrote: »
    I was hoping we would get the Leinster team today, but tomorrow I guess?

Tomorrow, yeah. Thursday announcements are usually for Friday night games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Daly's chasing wasn't great but that doesn't make the kicks any better I'm afraid. It's a weak part of JGPs game. Munster wasn't the first time we've seen that. The guy has a lot of great qualities and is exactly the guy I'd want off the bench against tiring legs or starting against less organised sides.

As for writing Daly off I think it's ludicrously early to do something like that. Has he even had several senior caps yet? Let's give the guy some time before we judge him.

To be clear, I am not writing Daly off. I would like to see him get plenty more starts. I don't think its fair to judge the guy primarily on two bad performances away to Munster and Scarlets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Anyone ever bought tickets from tickets.ie - bought tickets about 30 minutes ago and still no email from them?

Synode wrote: »
    Anyone ever bought tickets from tickets.ie - bought tickets about 30 minutes ago and still no email from them?

Still no tickets this morning. It was the Connacht Leinster game I bought for. I'd a few drinks in me, starting to doubt myself

Just on Daly, not sure what we expect from him. He's 26 and has taken the long way round to get to playing pro rugby, he's decent but was never going to be top class. Adam Byrne was supposed to play but was sick during the week. He would have made a fair old difference imo just with his aerial ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Daly has only just turned 24 and has 4 starts.

He's doing fine, some of the criticism he's getting over the Munster game is waaay over the top (as ever).

Let's give him a chance.

Just on Daly, not sure what we expect from him. He's 26...
    Daly has only just turned 24...

I tried to verify which one of you was correct, but I almost vomitted when I got on the main Leinster site. So is one of you mixing him up with Tom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I tried to verify which one of you was correct, but I almost vomitted when I got on the main Leinster site. So is one of you mixing him up with Tom?

I feel your pain.

Barry was born September 92. He is therefore 24.

Tom is only 23.

• Advertisement

Sorry I'm wrong, he's 24.

And yes the new site is a ****ing abomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭KH25

Still no tickets this morning. It was the Connacht Leinster game I bought for. I'd a few drinks in me, starting to doubt myself

I ordered tickets last week and they arrived this morning. I did get a confirmation email though so maybe you should contact them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Any tickets going for the Ulster game tomorrow?
    Would love to get my hands on a pair.

Am I allowed do this here?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

durkadurka wrote: »
    Any tickets going for the Ulster game tomorrow?
    Would love to get my hands on a pair.

Am I allowed do this here?

Ticketmaster have them

Stheno wrote: »
    Ticketmaster have them

They don't, it's sold out

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They don't, it's sold out

Weird i got offered two on it just before my last post

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Weird i got offered two on it just before my last post

That's odd. They announced yesterday that it was sold out.

Peregrine wrote: »
    That's odd. They announced yesterday that it was sold out.

Yeah i tried a second time and they were still there. Might be worth it for someone wanting to go

There are some on the ticket exchange, or there were a few hours ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

There are some on the ticket exchange, or there were a few hours ago.

Thanks
    Picked up a couple of terrace tix there now.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/luke-t-shirts-reduced-to-clear/
    €5 for the Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke T-shirt tomorrow at The Laighin Out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Hip flasks to the brim there's a winderly north forecast.

I hope silence can be observed during the traditional Ulster booing of everything. :)

Destroy these m*****s

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭PJ Maybe

*** Free Ticket for Game ***

Can't make the game so have a ticket going for the North Stand if anyone wants it. It's an e-ticket so can email it on to you.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RichieRich89

Ben Te'o's recent remarks just highlight his true nature. Henshaw, Reid and Daly are better 12s, and Ringrose and O'Loughlin better 13s than him anyway. Leinster are definitely moving in the right direction when it comes to squad development

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ben Te'o's recent remarks just highlight his true nature. Henshaw, Reid and Daly are better 12s, and Ringrose and O'Loughlin better 13s than him anyway. Leinster are definitely moving in the right direction when it comes to squad development

You are obsessed with Ben Te'o

Jesus Christ. He's gone 7 months now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

S7O31b3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm in a mixed mind as to whether 4 points from the two interpros is a good return. In some respects, it could have gone worse, seeing as we were playing the third choice outhalf for 160 minutes, but we have by far the best depth of all provinces, especially in the forwards, and I wonder if a stronger team in Thomond would have been the better decision by management...

Today's second half performance was appalling. Discipline went completely. Should have cruised to a bonus point.

Considering how crap Ulster were we should have put the firsts out against Munster.

First half went how most of us probably expected. Pack was on top and Ulster had very little ball to work with. But even then some of Leinster's play was poor. Side to side with no penetration. The set plays we scored from were nice but Ulster made it so easy it's hard to judge that first half.

A few players played well.below their best. Northampton games showed how well this side can play when they're actually going for it. Really should've put 40 or 50 on Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Seriously, did Ben T'eo rob your lunch money or something?

• Advertisement

I'd have Te'o back in a heartbeat. He'd have to accept a spot on the bench for the European games though. Henshaw is simply better than him. He'd be a huge asset in the league though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Clegg wrote: »
    I'd have Te'o back in a heartbeat. He'd have to accept a spot on the bench for the European games though. Henshaw is simply better than him. He'd be a huge asset in the league though.

Te'o is NIQ now, so we can forget about that. Plus he's on money in England that we couldn't match. Plus we could well have a better player in ROL. Plus that obsessed guy on here will probably kill him for all that stuff he did to him.

So, anyone happy with the outcome of those two games? Anyone think Leinster maximised their return?

So, anyone happy with the outcome of those two games? Anyone think Leinster maximised their return?

Nah we could have taken 5 today and 1 last week with the teams that played.

That said, we've played more guys than the other provinces and are adding more to our depth whilst still being comfortably top 2 of the table which to me is equally important.

We've a squad that is going to be much more impacted than other provinces through the new year so I'm glad we're filling in the blanks.

Leinster with options back at 10 will be ferocious. Business end of the season awaits.

Nah we could have taken 5 today and 1 last week with the teams that played.

That said, we've played more guys than the other provinces and are adding more to our depth whilst still being comfortably top 2 of the table which to me is equally important.

We've a squad that is going to be much more impacted than other provinces through the new year so I'm glad we're filling in the blanks.

Leinster with options back at 10 will be ferocious. Business end of the season awaits.

I expect Ospreys to beat Dragons so we'll be 3rd but Scarlets and Glasgow will be at least 4 or 5 points behind us.

Impressed by ROL recently though, I think he could certainly be a strong starting option in that 11 jersey for us in big games. Even though we're probably losing Kirchner and Nacewa next season I think we have a pretty decent back 3 developing, probably need to sign someone who can cover 15 though.

Errrr, have a look at the table. Leinster aren't in the top 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Not maximised. That would have been 6 points (decent shot at the bonus point today, and long shot at a losing bonus point in the Battle of Pashundale).
    So on the lower end - but all that was deserved. The bonus point was there for the taking today but they just werent up to it and can only blame themselves.

But over all, happy that the right strategy was taken and the safe 4 points were picked up, rather than taking the longer shot of going for 8 or more and ending up empty handed considering the injuries and squad resting that was required.

Not great. But OK.

We will be by the end of the season.

• Advertisement

Only if you count Welsh sides, but sure noone does that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement