Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VIII: May the Fourth Star Be With You!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'd be worried about Friday. This is one Glasgow will see as a real opportunity.

Also, yesterdays result is the worst thing that could have happened for Ulster. Had we won then we'd have rested a load of guys ahead of the Champions Cup final, but now we can't as it'd be too long a break. We'll be near full strength for that one I reckon. They need the win over Ospreys now in a big way. Do that and I think they'll get the play off spot. Can't see Scarlets losing to Ospreys at home in the last round.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Glasgow have nothing to play for, no mathematical chance of a play off spot, so hopefully they don't turn up...

Plus all of the Scottish Lions will be minding themselves.

:pac:

I'd say Leinster will lose one or both of the next two, doesn't really matter though. The SF is the important one now.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd be worried about Friday. This is one Glasgow will see as a real opportunity.

Also, yesterdays result is the worst thing that could have happened for Ulster. Had we won then we'd have rested a load of guys ahead of the Champions Cup final, but now we can't as it'd be too long a break. We'll be near full strength for that one I reckon. They need the win over Ospreys now in a big way. Do that and I think they'll get the play off spot. Can't see Scarlets losing to Ospreys at home in the last round.

We'll probably end up against Ulster again twice in a row like last year. We should lose up there and let Ferris talk about blown smoke and then thump them two weeks later :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    Plus all of the Scottish Lions will be minding themselves.

:pac:

It wouldn't surprise me if Seymour and Hogg are rested for the remaining two games. I'm sure the Lions wouldn't mind as the Pro12/Aviva finals will make a long list of missing names for the opener in NZ.

It wouldn't surprise me if Seymour and Hogg are rested for the remaining two games. I'm sure the Lions wouldn't mind as the Pro12/Aviva finals will make a long list of missing names for the opener in NZ.

I'd be shocked. Glasgow will want their best guys on the pitch and Townsend is not going to see his tenure end with a whimper. They've had a poor season and he'll want to finish on a high.

I'd back Glasgow to sneak a win this Friday.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ha'porth could well miss the first three games if Toulon get to the final. Will Hogg play at FB in those matches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,223 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Pro 12 semi-final will take place on Friday 19th of May.

Same time as last year. Hopefully we'll get the same result.

Gavin Thornbury signs for Connacht.

Good for him. Went to NZ to improve himself and got a pro contract out of it in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Clegg wrote: »
    Gavin Thornbury signs for Connacht.

Good for him. Went to NZ to improve himself and got a pro contract out of it in the end.
    Gas. Himself and Steve Crosbie went to NZ together. Both ended up in Connacht. Well hopefully Steve stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Garry Ringrose and CJ Stander down to the last five for EPCR player of the year. Maro Itoje, Owen Farrell and Camille Lopez the other three.

Has never come from anyone but a player in the final (ROG won the first as a sort of inaugural award for the previous 15 as opposed to an award for that season) so I reckon Ringrose and Stander aren't in the mix. Abendanon is the only person to win it and not win the title.

It'll be Farrell or Lopez depending on who wins, I reckon. Itoje won it last year. Farrell the very likely winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I voted for Ringrose purely on the basis he hasn't even had his first shave yet and he made Penaud and Chouly's heads spin so fast they still got motion sickness and asked Spedding if he wanted to fries with that dummy, all of which is a cherry on a massively impressive season where he's established himself as first choice Leinster outside centre and finished an entire 6n as one for Ireland. Seriously impressive for a guy I admittedly thought would struggle to play at this level because of his size. The guys is getting to be tough as nails.

I really hope Clermont do it and Lopez gets the prize though, as Buer said it'll never go to a semi finalist, and that first drop goal from Lopez was as good as it gets, absolute moment swinger, at a difficult angle, and he swung the club absolutely sweet as a nut under pressure. Always been a fan of Lopez and you could see how much it means to him.

Poor Dave Kearney. Out for six weeks per the 42.ie. He's had no luck this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Poor Dave Kearney. Out for six weeks per the 42.ie. He's had no luck this season.
    Season over. I know that he could come back for the international tour but at this stage he should give the season up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

He'll be fit for a lions call up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Or last season.

Or the previous season.

He's approaching Luke Fitz levels of injury mishaps.

Or last season.

Or the previous season.

He's approaching Luke Fitz levels of injury mishaps.

Unfortunately so is his brother

• Site Banned Posts: 262 ✭✭letf

James Ryan to make his debut off the bench this friday?

letf wrote: »

You guessing or have heard something? Would be great to see.

• Advertisement

Unlikely, I'd have thought. He hasn't returned from the hamstring injury yet, has he?

Buer wrote: »
    Unlikely, I'd have thought. He hasn't returned from the hamstring injury yet, has he?

He's back in training. Might have played in the AIL even.

Is James Ryan eligible to play in the U20s WC this summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Mike Ross is hanging up the boots at the end of the season.

The big man was our anchor and rock in the good years. He was even developing a consistently exaggerated game in the loose, culminating in his 80 metre break and one handed reverse flick offload against Scarlets earlier this season.

Thanks Rossy.

Is James Ryan eligible to play in the U20s WC this summer?

No.

Ryan is healthy and training with the senior squad.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Mike Ross is hanging up the boots at the end of the season.

The big man was our anchor and rock in the good years. He was even developing a consistently exaggerated game in the loose, culminating in his 80 metre break and one handed reverse flick offload against Scarlets earlier this season.

Thanks Rossy.

Great career with Leinster and Ireland with plenty of medals for the mantelpiece.

He's back in training. Might have played in the AIL even.

Wasn't listed on the team sheet for the last couple of UCD games, anyway.

Great career with Leinster and Ireland with plenty of medals for the mantelpiece.

He tweeted this two weeks ago. He loves his rugby, I hope he gets another few hit outs. I'd like to clap him off in the 52nd minute one more time.
    Thanks for all the messages at the weekend, was delighted to reach the big 150! Some great days in blue and hopefully a few more to come.

https://twitter.com/MikeRoss03/status/851389753580814336

Leinster will have very little proven ability at TH next season below Bent..

Oisin Heffernan(22)
    Jeremy Loughman(22)
    Andrew Porter(21)

Charlie Connolly?
    Jack Aungier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Mike Ross - what a hero.

For a solid three or four years, the most important man in all of Irish rugby. BOD, POC, Heaslip, Sexton, Murray - no one was as critical as Ross. Poor Declan Kidney is still having nightmares over Twickenham.

In his honour, I've spent most of the morning in the archives, digging up every single try he ever scored in blue or green. Enjoy

https://youtu.be/YLz40D5lNRc?t=348

https://youtu.be/ADh6W91O98Q?t=104

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Mike Ross - what a hero.

For a solid three or four years, the most important man in all of Irish rugby. Heaslip, Sexton, Murray - no one was as critical as Ross. Poor Declan Kidney is still having nightmares over Twickenham.

In his honour, I've spent most of the morning in the archives, digging up every single try he ever scored in blue or green. Enjoy

https://youtu.be/YLz40D5lNRc?t=348

https://youtu.be/ADh6W91O98Q?t=104

He nearly kept up with Isa in that first clip. Legend.

I prefer the one against Wasps as he ran it in from twice as far out.

He actually was running a support line for that whole Wasps try. Definitely one of those "Ah ****, where are the backs" moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Love that try against Wasps. He was the only player that Joe Schmidt ever exempted from the 'no celebration' rule when he scored his first try.

Sad to see Rossy go, really likeable player and massively important for Leinster and Ireland during the front row drought years. Hope he stays involved with the sport or Leinster announce him as the new head of IT or something!

Great news that James Ryan is fit. Someone suggested recently that he could be brought on the summer tour. Not sure if a rumour or wishful thinking but if he was able to play this week and maybe sneak onto the bench against the powerpuff girls it would certainly help his chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

I wonder what his plans are now? Coaching or a complete break from the game? I had the pleasure of meeting him once, last year, at an IRUPA event. Brick sh**ouse sprung to mind! Complete gentleman though, and came across as someone with a sharp sense of humour - he spent a good while that evening pulling the mick out of Toner and Ruddock.

Anatom wrote: »
    I wonder what his plans are now? Coaching or a complete break from the game? I had the pleasure of meeting him once, last year, at an IRUPA event. Brick sh**ouse sprung to mind! Complete gentleman though, and came across as someone with a sharp sense of humour - he spent a good while that evening pulling the mick out of Toner and Ruddock.

going into tech career

He is a genuine tech head, he has a decent profile and could probably rather easily get himself on the panel at various tech conferences (Isaac Boss is a speaker at one in the convention centre next month). Combine that with perhaps a bit of investment capital and he could get active in the Dublin start up scene rather easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Anatom wrote: »
    I wonder what his plans are now?  Coaching or a complete break from the game?  I had the pleasure of meeting him once, last year, at an IRUPA event.  Brick sh**ouse sprung to mind!  Complete gentleman though, and came across as someone with a sharp sense of humour - he spent a good while that evening pulling the mick out of Toner and Ruddock.
    He spoke recently enough about the idea of developing an app for scrum analysis. I figure its the tech and software development that he will go but he is such a scrum nerd that you have to wonder if he can stay away long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

Leinster will have very little proven ability at TH next season below Bent..

Oisin Heffernan(22)
    Jeremy Loughman(22)
    Andrew Porter(21)

Charlie Connolly?
    Jack Aungier?
    Jack Augnier has signed straight into the academy. I'd be fairly surprised if Charlie Connolly gets in personally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The Article on RTE indicates his intentions are on technology, but sure that can be anything.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2017/0425/870112-ireland-prop-mike-ross-announces-retirement/
    " I'm stepping out of the rugby bubble and moving into the fast growing world of technology. "

The Article on RTE indicates his intentions are on technology, but sure that can be anything.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2017/0425/870112-ireland-prop-mike-ross-announces-retirement/

I know he is also quite into gaming. Could he pioneer a true modern rugby game that we've all been waiting for?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I know he is also quite into gaming. Could he pioneer a true modern rugby game that we've all been waiting for?!!

Scrum simulator for bowling alleys and arcades across the country?

Rossy was an absolute rock for us for so long. Great career, great guy.

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Jack Augnier has signed straight into the academy. I'd be fairly surprised if Charlie Connolly gets in personally.

why? he has been pretty good for the u20's.

I'd rate him higher than Heffernan anyway.

working for a data transfer company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Sorry to see Rossy go, but not overly surprised. He's been a fantastic servant to Leinster and to Ireland. Hope we see him again in the RDS for a propery send-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

vienne86 wrote: »
    He's been a fantastic servant to Leinster and to Ireland.

I think he was better than deserving the (slightly) damning with faint praise phrase 'fantastic servant' (did anyone ever say BOD or Paulie were fantastic servants? - it suggests honest journeyman). He was a top level prop, was a critical part of Leinsters trophy years, and has a serious haul of Irish caps that were fully merited where he was a deservedly automatic choice for a high number of those.
    Well done, to a top player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Ross was always one of the most likeable rugby players around. Always understated and ultra-consistent. Irish rugby was so lucky he emerged when he did and if he hadn't I'm sure you could chalk off at least one 6n.

Amazing how little change there's been in the Irish TH jersey in the last 15 years, with Furlong looking like he could dominate the position for the next 10 years as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I think he was better than deserving the (slightly) damning with faint praise phrase 'fantastic servant' (did anyone ever say BOD or Paulie were fantastic servants? - it suggests honest journeyman). He was a top level prop, was a critical part of Leinsters trophy years, and has a serious haul of Irish caps that were fully merited where he was a deservedly automatic choice for a high number of those.
    Well done, to a top player.
    He was one of the first names on the teamsheet for most of his Irish caps. Huge player for Leinster and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

why? he has been pretty good for the u20's.

I'd rate him higher than Heffernan anyway.
    4 TH props would be slightly excessive considering you have some good young guys coming through plus 2 established players there already.
    Don't rate Heffernan either.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement