Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Éidín

Options
  • 22-06-2014 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Is Éidín a valid way to spell Éadaoin according to modern Irish spelling? Are there other modern ways to spell this name?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Snag Darach

Éadaoin and Éidín would not be pronounced the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭BarraOG

Does the name Éidín originate in Ireland or is it associated with another name? How is it pronounced differently form Éadaoin?

I would have taught both were pronounced "AY JEEN" or "AY DEEN".

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Snag Darach

In most dialects Éidín would be pronounced AY-jeen but Éadaoin would be pronounced in all dialects AY-d(w)een.
    The vowel determines the quality of the consonant that follows, making it hard or soft, and it is difficult to give an accurate representation of pronounciation without resorting to the IPA symbols.

I've only ever seen Éidin in Gairdín Éidin, The Garden of Eden, however that doesn't have an accent over the second "i".

I don't know maybe it's a new form I've never come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭BarraOG

Thanks for your help! Googleing "éidín ní" gives a number of different Irish women with the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

BarraOG wrote: »
    Is Éidín a valid way to spell Éadaoin according to modern Irish spelling? Are there other modern ways to spell this name?
    Éadaoin and Éidín, in most dialects, would differ because the "d" would be different. The first has a broad "d" and the second a slender "d" and these are different consonants.

In Munster Irish they would differ further, because "Éa" is pronounced "ia" in first syllables.

• Advertisement
Advertisement