Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Language, important or not.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

pog it wrote: »
    The RIA has the eDIL online dictionary and the book version.

A book version ?
    1. Title?
    2. When did it come out?
    3. How much?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

feargale wrote: »
    A book version ?
    1. Title?
    2. When did it come out?
    3. How much?
    Thanks.

http://ria.ie/Publications/Books/Research-Series/Focloir-Stairiuil-na-Nua-Ghaeilge/Inneacs-Nua-Ghaeilge-don--Dictionary-of-the-Irish-

I see you can buy it online but they will sell it from their shop in Dublin as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Irish is (or should be) as important to us as Hindi is to Indians. The trouble is that in school it's taught as a SUBJECT, not a language. Too much cultural shïte thrown into the mix. It's the same with Radio na Gaeltachta. Why does that Irish-language station only play traditional Irish diddly-idle music and not have a modern slant to it? Peig Sayers is long dead so stop putting out stuff that only she would like.

At least TG4 make the effort to be different, but I wish the language could be projected for what it is and not with all the extra crap that turns most people off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

FWVT wrote: »
    Irish is (or should be) as important to us as Hindi is to Indians. The trouble is that in school it's taught as a SUBJECT, not a language. Too much cultural shïte thrown into the mix. It's the same with Radio na Gaeltachta. Why does that Irish-language station only play traditional Irish diddly-idle music and not have a modern slant to it? Peig Sayers is long dead so stop putting out stuff that only she would like.

At least TG4 make the effort to be different, but I wish the language could be projected for what it is and not with all the extra crap that turns most people off.

You've obviously never listened to "An Taobh Tuathail" on RnaG, heck I've heard Trance music been played on RnaG at nighttime. In many ways it's equivalent to Ráidio 1 (RTÉ). It has to cater to a broad church, so talk shows, country music, alternative, traditional you name it.

Perhaps you just need to be more open-minded in your listening choices, personally I have no problem switching from trad music to Trash Metal to Trance to Classical music, as long as the performer is good at what they do.

If people are "turned off" as you claim it's more to do with hangups that they themselves suffer from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

FWVT wrote: »

What turns people off? Peig is more or less gone from the secondary school syllabus now from what I heard so that's not a block for learners anymore.

It's a shame she got such abuse cause her language should be a showcase for Irish and not the opposite. Can't really blame her for living in hardship!

I think that RnaG do a great job serving those living in the Gaeltacht and from what I know of their policy, that is their first remit. They do have brilliant shows such as Ronan Mac Aodha Bhui which is as 'modern' as you can get. It's a really diverse programme, he has everything on it and he's seriously talented in interviewing people and engaging listeners. Others like Donal Mac Ruairi have interesting music/chat mix programmes that are totally not the pure trad based music shows.

I agree with you though on their overall output. They have too much focus on the traditional music programmes where the person introduces the tune, might give a bit extra info on it, and then plays it. But then again, that's maybe what their listenership is looking for. There was uproar when they wanted to cancel the mass on it a while back I remember.

A radio station purely for the rest of the population would be a brilliant addition to what's on offer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Raidió na Gaeltachta is exactly that - a radio station for the people of the Gaeltacht regions. They serve their target audience pretty well.

If something like Raidió na Life was extended around the country it'd be a fantastic option for us more urban types!

Advertisement